Show us what you're cooking...

It looks awesome. I’ve never knowingly had this sort of cold smoked meat before. I’ve had charcuterie of Italian meats and sausages but this looks (good) different.

So…if I cured some pork using the Morton’s Quick Cure (2 weeks) is that effectively making ham? I don’t have the accessories to cold smoke but if I did a 180F smoke can I get close to what you made? I’m thinking I couldn’t necessarily store or serve it as charcuterie but thinking it still may be tasty. Or am I out deep in left field? 🤭
Yep it will still work. I guess I would bump it even higher and hot smoke it. You end up with Canadian bacon. 220 for maybe 3 hours.
It’s a little funny that online they tell you if you cold smoke it, you’ll need to cook it before you eat it. I’ve literally fed it to hundreds or people after just curing and cold smoking.

Best I’ve ever done, so juicy and nailed the flavor profile I wanted…….wife and son concur.

IMG_0982.jpeg

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

Nice looking chuck roast, @Motodad1776. While I still like to do briskets on occasion, I have kind of gravitated to chuck roasts myself. With just two of us in the house, a 3# chuck roast makes a couple of nice meals; even a small packer (my preference) is three times that. It is nice, however, to have some smoked brisket frozen in meal-for-two vacuum packs in the freezer for that sudden craving/bout of laziness. :rolleyes:

Nicely done on the chuck roast!

Dang it @ghuns now I have to buy a rotisserie kit for my Bullseye. What time/temps did you use on the cook? Looks great!

Yep it will still work. I guess I would bump it even higher and hot smoke it. You end up with Canadian bacon. 220 for maybe 3 hours.
It’s a little funny that online they tell you if you cold smoke it, you’ll need to cook it before you eat it. I’ve literally fed it to hundreds or people after just curing and cold smoking.
I appreciate you responding and giving that great info.

One day I hope to meet “they” and tell them the number of times “they” were wrong. 🤣

Well @chadinsc that's not something I've seen in a shrink wrap tray at the local stores. I have to admit I have never had a hankering for squirrel, but that looks pretty good.

Well @chadinsc that's not something I've seen in a shrink wrap tray at the local stores. I have to admit I have never had a hankering for squirrel, but that looks pretty good.
@chadinsc I would totally eat that. Is it one squirrel per person like Cornish hens?
@Pacman I lived down around STL for a while and they have a French Quarter, and a farmer's market. You can go in there and get all kinds of backyard game. Looking in the case, they leave the fur on the paws to help identify which animal it is. I only went for the andouille sausage - but nowadays I would totally slap something weird on the grill.

@chadinsc I would totally eat that. Is it one squirrel per person like Cornish hens?
@Pacman I lived down around STL for a while and they have a French Quarter, and a farmer's market. You can go in there and get all kinds of backyard game. Looking in the case, they leave the fur on the paws to help identify which animal it is. I only went for the andouille sausage - but nowadays I would totally slap something weird on the grill.
SmokeOCD,

Some of the Wild Forks have exotic and game meats. It may be regional but my local store has cow brains, pig heads, Yak, and other proteins. I can also go to Little Saigon in Garden Grove, CA, and get Balut, a variety of snake meats, fish eyes, and various animal entrails.

I sure wish i had a place like that, i would definitely try some weird taboo bye American standards foods. Probably the strangest thing i have cooked was a bob cat on a camp fire. I legally killed it while me and a buddy was camping and hunting on a large island and it was our dinner. We didn’t have any seasoning but for some strange reason we did have a jug of apple cider vinegar which we put in a water bottle and kept the cat moist while cooking it on an old ironing board frame we found over the coals. It was honestly fantastic meat and i would do it again. These were a couple of squirrels i killed while hunting over the weekend, i have actually done the bbq sauce and foil cook many times for squirrels on a camp fire also and its always fantastic, but there were some of the best with the added smoke flavor! Also at the house yes its 1 squirrel per person because we also had sides, when camping its generally 2 squirrels per person because thats all you got lol.
DSC_0045.jpeg

Wow, this brings back some memories. As a kid we butchered our own beef, which we raised, and everyone loved mom’s scrambled eggs and brains. Funny if you think about it as well as good to eat. I’ve never seen them for sale at a butcher. I also used to squirrel hunt often as a young man and I haven’t eaten any for a very long time now. Good on you for using (what I assume) is a .22. Always thought those using a shotgun to hunt squirrel were cheating.

Wow, this brings back some memories. As a kid we butchered our own beef, which we raised, and everyone loved mom’s scrambled eggs and brains. Funny if you think about it as well as good to eat. I’ve never seen them for sale at a butcher. I also used to squirrel hunt often as a young man and I haven’t eaten any for a very long time now. Good on you for using (what I assume) is a .22. Always thought those using a shotgun to hunt squirrel were cheating.
My uncle always liked to eat squirrel brains and eggs lol. He always said i was doing wrong shooting them in the head. I have never tried the brains as i always try for head shots to have good clean meat. I completely agree about the shotgun hunters, that’s definitely cheating! lol. Thats a henry 22 magnum actually, i love it. The magnum is definitely not necessary for squirrels but i shoot full metal jacket ammo and it doesn’t mess up any meat and gives me extra range without needing to worry about the bullets trajectory. Also my 5year old son really wants me to make squirrel sausage so i need to get back after them soon. I told him, boy thats going to take alot of squirrels lol. Also a bit more information about that gun i think you in particular will appreciate, the gun, scope, scope mounts, leather sling, sling mounts, and ammo are all made in USA!

Last edited:
All this talk about “real” food is making me hungry. I have acreage in coastal NC that is undeveloped and I need to plan a trip to cull the herd of deer that are overpopulating the area. When this happens, I have a huge menu of critters to eat. By the way, any of you ever prepare Nutria? I go on snake hunts in the Everglades and usually kill quite a few but haven’t been able to fix them in a manner that keeps them in my system for more that a couple of hours. I’ve tried roasting, stuffing, frying, and they just don’t seem good. On the other hand, I have eaten rat in Thailand, the Philippines, and other countries and enjoyed the meal. Any help/recipes would be appreciated.

By the way, any of you ever prepare Nutria?
My wife had a Nutria full length coat custom made for her when she lived in Louisiana. Absolutely stunning, and as beautiful as any conventional furs. Although, I expect there is no such thing as a ‘conventional’ fur coat today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back