Show us what you're cooking...

I’ve been lazy about sharing my cooks recently, so here’s a little post-Christmas brisket love. It started as an 18.5# prime cut from Costco. Christmas evening I trimmed off 6.5# of fat, added beef stock concentrate as a rub, followed by salt, pepper, and some Boars Night Out White Lightning. Covered and left in the refrigerator overnight.

Then yesterday morning at 05:00 I fired up the RT-700 to 250* using Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix, no smoke tube, nothing extra to add smoke. At 05:30 the brisket went on. I like to wrap in pink butcher paper when the top first becomes dry after hitting 150*, or 165*, whichever comes first. It was dry on top after 5 hours, 163*. The internal temp hit 200* at the 11 hour mark, was probe tender to my satisfaction at 11-½ hours, 203* IT. I pulled it, wrapped in a towel, and put it in a cooler for an hour. Here is the final product on the table exactly 13 hours after I turned on the Bull.
Looks like a perfect cook. Brisket is now being requested at my house

Just a little brisket, burnt ends, some mac-n-cheese, smoked wasabi deviled eggs, and a bourbon/peach glazed double smoked ham...

1609152664128.png

1609152674411.png

1609152686916.png

1609152697742.png

1609152709851.png

Sorry no picture but my first overnight cook ~6lb pork butt 12-1/2 hrs no wrap. The 590 held 225 +/- 1 degree the entire time. Outside temp ~25F. Amazing "set it and forget it". Probe tender was @~195 IT absolutely perfect!

Put on a prime rib last night. Prepped it with salt, pepper and coated it with a garlic butter.

View attachment 8046

and the finished product.

View attachment 8047
I tried to do a garlic butter covered prime rib yesterday and was not able to get the butter mixture to stick to the "vertical" sides of the roast. Your picture shows that your roast was completely covered with butter. Did you do anything special? How did you apply the butter? Was your butter cold or had you left it out of the refrigerator for an amount of time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am very perplexed why I wasn't able to get the butter to stick.

I tried to do a garlic butter covered prime rib yesterday and was not able to get the butter mixture to stick to the "vertical" sides of the roast. Your picture shows that your roast was completely covered with butter. Did you do anything special? How did you apply the butter? Was your butter cold or had you left it out of the refrigerator for an amount of time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am very perplexed why I wasn't able to get the butter to stick.
I applied a light coat of olive oil on my prime rib and then salt and peppered it on all sides.

As for the garlic butter, I put it in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to just start to soften the butter and then spread it all over without any issue.

If the butter is really cold it won't spread very well.

Looks great, recipe?
Picked up a great looking chuck roast, lots of marbling. Trimmed last night, rubbed with Kosmos Honey Killer Bee and put in fridge overnight. Put on the Bull set at low smoke for an hour or so. I put on the top rack with a pan under to catch the drippings. Turned up to 225 until meat temp hit 190. Brought in and cut into pieces, sprinkled a little more rub, brown sugar, a little butter and sauced with Johnny Ray's Bourbon Peach (Mount Holly, NC). Stirred up good, with the drippings, and back on smoker for another hour or so, stirring every 20 min or so. Really really good!

Picked up a great looking chuck roast, lots of marbling. Trimmed last night, rubbed with Kosmos Honey Killer Bee and put in fridge overnight. Put on the Bull set at low smoke for an hour or so. I put on the top rack with a pan under to catch the drippings. Turned up to 225 until meat temp hit 190. Brought in and cut into pieces, sprinkled a little more rub, brown sugar, a little butter and sauced with Johnny Ray's Bourbon Peach (Mount Holly, NC). Stirred up good, with the drippings, and back on smoker for another hour or so, stirring every 20 min or so. Really really good!
I will give it a try. Yes, it looked really yummy (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back