Ribs - Costco and Walmart spares too greasy

Creekside

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have had great luck many times with Sam's Club cryo 2xSpares (90min@LO+ amaze cherry pellets, 90min@250F, 120 mins foil wrapped with sauce, 10 min open faced with sauce to get tacky). Never had a batch that wasn't amazing. I follow Malcom Reed's "Malcolm's Ribs" fairly closely. Love Sams ribs with the RT590 and this recipe. Won't change. These are not fall of the bone, but nice and have a required pull to get them apart. Can't say enough about them. Now comes the issue....

Sometimes I get the rib bug in Walmart, 3 pack from Costco, or see a grocery sale and get stupid and buy some. It always seems to be a greasy train wreck. Fat is just coming out and gushy. Unrendered. They dont taste as good, bones slide out, not saying Sam's aint somewhat greasy, but these racks are like crazy. I finished tonight's at 209F (I know, 203F is my fav).

I got the 3rd Costco rack in the freezer (I dont like crowding my racks). I froze it. I will do in a week or two (did the other 2 today, not impressed). What can I do...not wrap? Wrap more of the grill time? Butcher paper instead of foil? Run it at 275F instead of 250F? Go even beyond 209F? What do you guys do if know your coming into a greasy set of ribs? (give them to a friend, let the dog eat them, put them back on the shelf and back up slowly....lol)

TIA

Try doing them unwrapped at 225 for about 6 hours and call them done when they pass the bend test. There are plenty of online videos on how to tell when done. That may help with the fat rendering to your liking.

You can try no wrap or butchers paper, I haven‘t used foil in a long time but find no wrap the driest, foil the most moist, and paper somewhere between, which is my preference. In my experience spares are a bit greasier than baby backs. I’ve also run into racks that are just plain greasy compared to others cooked the same way.

I don’t care for WM or Costco ribs, the WM being greasy, and Costco’s stink at times so I get neither. As it sounds like you run into greasy from all sources itmay well be your method, do like beach bum suggests and see if those are more to your liking.

I also leave mine longer on the smoker after unwrapping then you do, at least a half hour and usually an hour depending on when they are done to our tastes. Once I get to what I consider done, I baste with thinned sauce and let them go for another 20 or so minutes to set. Thats how we like em, which is almost fall off the bone, for the main reason of rendering out more of the fat. I also cook at 225, for the same reason. YMMV

Last edited:
Great info guys. I will do that next one unwrapped and wait for the bend test pass.

I also leave mine longer on the smoker after unwrapping then you do, at least a half hour and usually an hour depending on when they are done to our tastes. Once I get to what I consider done, I baste with thinned sauce and let them go for another we or so minutes to set. Thats how we like em, which is almost fall off the bone, for the main reason of rendering out more of the fat. I also cook at 225, for the same reason. YMMV Interesting. If i get the idea they are greasy afterwards I am going this way. THanks again

You can cure the ones you think are going to be greasy. Smoke them on super low, split and freeze into 3 sections to use in beans at a later date.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back