Costco Ribs - Funky Smell

My pork I get Chairman reserve's from US Chef.
Yes to each their own but I personally have to stop at child labor grave shifts cleaning meat processing equipment.
I started working in kitchens at 12 so I do not have a problem with kids working but c'mon man!
Good stuff!

Lucky you, I used to get Chairmans Reserve from the local grocer, now all they get is Tyson. Had great luck with the Chairman’s, and it was always fresh as opposed to the thawed Tyson.

YEP, they are really good and always fresh. $2.35 lb right now so I think that's is what on the menu
for the weekend.
I also get the Chairman's pork loins there for my Canadian bacon.

Lucky you, I used to get Chairmans Reserve from the local grocer, now all they get is Tyson. Had great luck with the Chairman’s, and it was always fresh as opposed to the thawed Tyson.
I hate to knock anyone's food - but isn't Tyson the one that ships their chickens from the US to China to be processed and then back to sell to us? (Somehow that's cheaper) Yes I've seen "Chicken People" and "Supersize Me 2"- Not trying to be Chicken Greta (How dare you!).

There's a separate series called rotten where they show chinese garlic and the prisoner/slave labor used for peeling that. I don't imagine the chicken processing is much better conditions.

It's good to know..... if you want to know.... otherwise - don't watch.

I hate to knock anyone's food - but isn't Tyson the one that ships their chickens from the US to China to be processed and then back to sell to us? (Somehow that's cheaper) Yes I've seen "Chicken People" and "Supersize Me 2"- Not trying to be Chicken Greta (How dare you!).

There's a separate series called rotten where they show chinese garlic and the prisoner/slave labor used for peeling that. I don't imagine the chicken processing is much better conditions.

It's good to know..... if you want to know.... otherwise - don't watch.
From what I know, not true. My In-laws (now deceased) lived in the heart of Tyson chicken production in Maryland/Delaware. There are production facilities everywhere. Tyson even issued a Statement that denied this claim.

On the entire topic of conglomerate meat producers in the US, you can, in part, blame your frustrations on congresses and USDA laws that make it nearly impossible for smaller meat/egg/milk producers to sell independently to the general public.

From what I know, not true. My In-laws (now deceased) lived in the heart of Tyson chicken production in Maryland/Delaware. There are production facilities everywhere. Tyson even issued a Statement that denied this claim.

On the entire topic of conglomerate meat producers in the US, you can, in part, blame your frustrations on congresses and USDA laws that make it nearly impossible for smaller meat/egg/milk producers to sell independently to the general public.
I agree - I had "undocumented" chickens because they're dangerous or detrimental to the village somehow.
I also bought raw milk where I filled my own container while no one was watching and threw a donation into a brown envelope hanging on the wall. They didn't sell me anything.

I also apologize to the group for spreading the false claim. I learned something - it's a good day!

Thanks @Greg Jones - see what one bad story can do? Haven't had Tyson in a decade or more.

Getting back to subject of this thread. I was unable to get St. Louis ribs from Walmart this week so I bought a 3 pack from Costco. No funky smell at all. Maybe that was just a bad batch or they changed the process. These were better drained of blood so perhaps that was the whole problem before. FYI

Getting back to subject of this thread. I was unable to get St. Louis ribs from Walmart this week so I bought a 3 pack from Costco. No funky smell at all. Maybe that was just a bad batch or they changed the process. These were better drained of blood so perhaps that was the whole problem before. FYI
I can’t speak to the source of the smell, but meat cuts are completely drained of their blood while they hang, before butchering. The red liquid that can appear in some cut meats is myoglobin, also known as ‘the purge’.

Also, and this is a personal opinion, but I’m not a fan of the multi-packs of ribs, from Costco (3-packs) or other places like Kroger (2-packs). The multi-packs hide one, or more, sides of the ribs so you cannot inspect for shiners or other imperfections in the ribs. I’d rather pay the $1 more per pound and see completely what I’m paying for.

Last edited:
I get my ribs and butts from Butcher Box now, what they lack in size in comparison to the box store variants, is made up with the flavor/texture/smell of very high quality swine. I will also say that their free range vegetarian fed chicken is the best I have ever had, and the family concurs 110%.

GJ, I agree. Only reason I bought the 3 pack was because Wally World was out of SL Prairie Fresh, which I prefer. Yep they often hide one that is different size, or such in between.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back