Costco Ribs - Funky Smell

I've had both ribs and butts from Costco that stink, even after washing them off. While I was told they are safe I tossed both and no longer buy pork there. I've never had the issue with pork bought elsewhere.

I have (they were Smithfield brand) and it has been discussed here about the Costco pork as others mentioned. I thought maybe the smell would fade after cooking and it didn't. Would make you gag from the smell if you tried eating it. Just plain nasty.. it does not go away trust me.

Recently got 4 racks from my local supermarket with similar conditions.. maybe worse. I opened 2 of them and the entire house smelt until I vented it. I returned them based on prior experience. It is not good regardless of what anyone or the internet says in my opinion.

Purchased some from Sams recently and they had no smell whatsoever. That is enough to tell me what is right and wrong going forward.

I have (they were Smithfield brand) and it has been discussed here about the Costco pork as others mentioned. I thought maybe the smell would fade after cooking and it didn't. Would make you gag from the smell if you tried eating it. Just plain nasty.. it does not go away trust me.

Recently got 4 racks from my local supermarket with similar conditions.. maybe worse. I opened 2 of them and the entire house smelt until I vented it. I returned them based on prior experience. It is not good regardless of what anyone or the internet says in my opinion.

Purchased some from Sams recently and they had no smell whatsoever. That is enough to tell me what is right and wrong going forward.
Here's an interesting Wiki read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods
The FTC lets this outfit get too much of the market, then lets the Chinese buy it? Whaaaat? The Chinese now have too much of the US (let alone the global) market of pork, by the US Justice department's own words.

Here's an interesting Wiki read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods
The FTC lets this outfit get too much of the market, then lets the Chinese buy it? Whaaaat? The Chinese now have too much of the US (let alone the global) market of pork, by the US Justice department's own words.

Wow! I honestly did not know that.

Something "stinks" with this :unsure:

Making sense now though. Meat sat out in the heat too long.. it's fine.. let it go.

Wow! I honestly did not know that.

Something "stinks" with this :unsure:

Making sense now though. Meat sat out in the heat too long.. it's fine.. let it go.
Me thinks some palms got greased...with pig fat. This is why Congress should be prevented from actively trading stocks.

Moral of the story: If it smells, don't eat it!
Enough said 😁

I recently had a similar experience with ribs from BJ's...strong, pungent smell...I chucked them and went to Giant to get Smithfield brand...those smelled fine
The Smithfield ribs I get here are thin. Not sure if anyone has a Save-A-Lot near them, but they have thick ribs that are locally sourced. Have a lot of meat and reasonably priced as well.

The Smithfield ribs I get here are thin. Not sure if anyone has a Save-A-Lot near them, but they have thick ribs that are locally sourced. Have a lot of meat and reasonably priced as well.
I used to buy a lot of convenience foods from Save-A-Lot, but I haven’t been in one of the two local for me in some time now. I’ll need to check them out.

No complaints with Smithfield, here in Va. Thick with two C's, as my son would say. 🤣

We have always bought our ribs from Samsclub and they have so far been non smelly and great tasting!

Cryo-smell ? Cut them open, throw them in the sink, wash them, give em about 20 minutes to air out.
Maybe I’ve had bad luck with Cryovac but every time I open meat and it smells bad, it starts to turn the next day. I’ve only had this experience a few times though… Does meat that’s been Cryocaved need to be cooked immediately upon opening?

We have always bought our ribs from Samsclub and they have so far been non smelly and great tasting!

Good to know.. only joined a few months ago so wasn't sure. Took a gamble and 1st purchase was good so far!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back