Recommended Pellet Grill Accessories

I've used my Grill Grates many times when doing a reverse sear.

What kind of concerns do you have of them?
My observation when I use GrillGrates is that the meat is tougher. I’m cooking to medium and medium-well for my wife. At this point, I’m more inclined to simply cook at 400 on my RT-700…without the grates. Flavor is more important to me than race stripes in my steak.

My observation when I use GrillGrates is that the meat is tougher. I’m cooking to medium and medium-well for my wife. At this point, I’m more inclined to simply cook at 400 on my RT-700…without the grates. Flavor is more important to me than race stripes in my steak.
Isn't that what searing is though? You're trading the seared meat flavor for a bit extra chew on the outside of the steak. Maillard reaction (thank you Alton Brown).

That might be the issue. I smoke and cook the steaks on the grill. The grillgrates are only used for searing... not cooking.

Isn't that what searing is though? You're trading the seared meat flavor for a bit extra chew on the outside of the steak. Maillard reaction (thank you Alton Brown).
You used the keyword…”trading”. For whatever reason, I never thought of searing as being a trade off…especially when I do a reverse sear…it’s just not on the sear plates very long. But, indeed, the meat tightened up and I was not as happy camper as I’d wanted to be. It was a lesson learned. 😬

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back