Stampede Recommended quick read temp and laser sensors

flippingeo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Hello all! I've had my 590 for a few months now and I absolutely love it. I'm building out smoking tool box and I'm looking for recommendations for 2 things:

• quick read digital probe
  • contactless surface thermometer (laser or whatever it uses).
Want to be able to check internal temps for quick cooks without the system probes, and want to be able to better map my pit temps with the contactless sensor.

Thanks in advanced!

Both of the suggestions above are solid. Thermapen Mk4 is the best instant read thermometer. The Javelin Pro is a close second. I own both and enjoy using them.

Contactless are usually infrared, sometimes with a laser to indicate where you're aimed. Thermoworks sells some of those and also has a Thermapen with an IR built into it - so both in one unit. There are various other options, I don't have much expertise to share beyond that.

I have a Thermapen but there are cheaper options if you search. The Thermopop may work for you too for $40.
I bought a cheap $25 General laser thermometer @ Home Depot 5 or 6 years ago, still works fine. I do wish it went higher then 625 degrees.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 103
I've had a Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 for over a year that use to quick check everything that I cook in the oven, on the grill, and, now, the smoker (until my Signal arrives). They are about $100 but are top rated. They should be still having a sale too so you might get it a little cheaper than normal.
Well, they just had their over stock sale of gray MK4's a week ago, 25% off and I got one. I now have two and these are the best ones to get.

I have to go with the Thermoworks MK4 as the instant thermometer. I have used this model for a while now and it does a great job. Thermoworks also has a good entry level IR thermometer --- IR Gun S. Right now the MK4 is running at $99 and the IR Gun S is $69. They are running a 20% sale off those prices right now.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Thermopro. I've been through 3 of them already. They are poor quality and when they replace your item under warranty, they replace it with a cheaper unit than what you origianlly purchased. My advice is to spend a little more upfront and save money on future purchases and the headache of having a unit break on you when you need one the most.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Thermopro. I've been through 3 of them already. They are poor quality and when they replace your item under warranty, they replace it with a cheaper unit than what you origianlly purchased. My advice is to spend a little more upfront and save money on future purchases and the headache of having a unit break on you when you need one the most.
I read that and I thought you were talking about Thermoworks at first. Thermopro is what is sold on Amazon, right? That sucks... Good advice though.

I read that and I thought you were talking about Thermoworks at first. Thermopro is what is sold on Amazon, right? That sucks... Good advice though.
I still own a Thermopro TP20. It's been fine for me, though I admit it hasn't seen much use lately.

Guys thank you all for the great suggestions! Going the Thermoworks path as routinely suggested here! Thanks again!

Hello all! I've had my 590 for a few months now and I absolutely love it. I'm building out smoking tool box and I'm looking for recommendations for 2 things:

• quick read digital probe
  • contactless surface thermometer (laser or whatever it uses).
Want to be able to check internal temps for quick cooks without the system probes, and want to be able to better map my pit temps with the contactless sensor.

Thanks in advanced!
I have used Thermoworks ThermoQ for years for accuracy. I have within the last 6 months purchased a ThermoPen MK4, Signals and just recently IRK-2 Laser that works with all my ThermoQ probes. They make excellent equipment but it's not cheap. I guess as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

You can find everything you are looking for here https://www.thermoworks.com/

I have the Thermopop and the Dot, their reasonably priced leave in probe.
From my experience, don't let the price fool you. Both are quality pieces and you can get both for under $100.

I have a couple of the Dot's too, just an fyi, you can melt the silicone, if that's what it is, that is where the probe meets the cable. I don't recall which grill I was using, but too high a temp and it's toast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back