Stampede Rec Tec Grill Device off line

I will call Rec Tec 1st thing tomorrow morning.I did power down the phone.I don't wanna mes whit the router.My other device is working off of it, with NO problems. The 590 is holding temps @ 225. too bad I have to go outside to check them. Android phone

Thanks Dan
make sure your location is on. go into settings on your phone.

Go to settings, on top right of the phone you'll see a seach button (circle) type location. Open it up and make sure yours is on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-143026_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-143026_Settings.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 114
location is on..when I go outside my WiFi goes off, I even tried with my wifes phone same thing?
Come inside my WiFi is on?
Thanks dan

Fireboard is working only problem FB temps & RT pit temps are way off.
THanks Dan
PS My brain is fried today!!

As a former AT&T U-verse installer, wifi is a fickle creature. One of the biggest interrupters of wifi is RFI. Radio frequency interference. I ran into it a lot when troubleshooting a faulty system. Although things may appear to be the same as yesterday, something totally unrelated can create RFI and adversely affect wifi operation. Another good reason to have a back up pit thermometer with remote receiver. You may be on the ragged edge of wifi range. My 590 wifi operation was spotty until I added external wifi antenna. It has not failed one time since.

Last edited:
How far is the grill from the router? Once i installed whole home wifi, i have service in the middle of the Cul-de-sac lol

My WiFi is working great on Fire board controller, so why NOT with Rec tec App.The App goes thru all the steps ask for my WiFi password which I now know my heart.The error message. Last week I did an over night brisket and the WiFi help all night long 10 hrs.
The router is not far from the grill, maybe 40-50 ft. I was 55 steps from the router to the grill. I am size 9.

Thanks Dan
DSC04717.JPG
ge.

Last edited:
Hi All FYI the ribs came pretty good, nice & red. 225* for 5 hrs LumberJack fruit wood pellets.
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_181839342[1].jpg
    IMG_20200510_181839342[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200510_184951086[1].jpg
    IMG_20200510_184951086[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
My WiFi is working great on Fire board controller, so why NOT with Rec tec App.The App goes thru all the steps ask for my WiFi password which I now know my heart.The error message. Last week I did an over night brisket and the WiFi help all night long 10 hrs.
The router is not far from the grill, maybe 40-50 ft. I was 55 steps from the router to the grill. I am size 9.

Thanks Dan
View attachment 3769ge.
Maybe its only good for 53 steps and a size 8.5? Give RT a call in the morning, has to be an internal setting.

Hi All FYI the ribs came pretty good, nice & red. 225* for 5 hrs LumberJack fruit wood pellets.
Thanks Dan
Nothing wrong with those bad boys! Looking really good.

Hi All Tried WiFi today just for the hell of it. Got it to work one time before it went bonkers on me..Called RT customer service about 1hr left a message so far NO call back. I thought RT CS was top notch??? They seem to be slipping in customer service, maybe they got too busy?
Gotta get the WiFi ready for my chicken cook tomorrow.
Dan

Hi I don't want to mess with the router unless I have too..I'll see what RT suggests tomorrow.
My wife would be lost if her puter connection is lost. I'm under the impression that once Wifi is set up it is good to go forever??
Thanks Dan
PS just got a callback from RT,but it is raining now and we can't do a thing. I will call tomorrow before I do my chicken cook and see what happens.
Thanks Dan

I'm not suggesting you change anything with the router. Only that you turn it off and turn it back on. Rebooting is basic troubleshooting for WiFi, just like with computers (because they're actually computers inside).

It seems it is something simple... just cant put my finger on it. It has been awhile since I set mine up. Good luck Dan.

Who is your internet supplier? I logged into my Comcast gateway and disabled the 5 ghz signal just because I didn't wan't any chance that my phone would switch over in the middle. Thats an easy process. Zach at Rec Tec and I were able to get my grill connected when I was close enough to the signal. Still had the problem of dropped signals at my cooking location. Added the WiFi extender and everything worked like it was supposed to. Once we were done troubleshooting I turned the 5 ghz back on.

When you think about it, the tech industry has done a good job over the years of making a lot of this stuff appear *WAY* more simple than it is. The truth is there's an awful lot of black magic happening behind the scenes with most systems and devices. When cracks do appear, it can get really complex to unravel and resolve. Often means a lot of trial and error.

There are so many people who can't get solid WiFi throughout the indoors of their home. Which is why there's a market for extenders, boosters, powerline adapters, mesh systems and other gizmos. Now we're trying to connect devices outside - even farther away from your own access point. Adds even more layers of complexity - but your average consumer wants it to "just work".

Last edited:
Hi All I got a call back from RT@ 11:30,but the person wasn't a WiFi expert. He was going have Zach call back me back, this happen once before with out a call back. I was so pissed that New York City attitude took over, and before you know it Zach was on the line. Zach suggested a WiFi extender.

Home Depot has them in stock. I went to 3 HD the lines were soo long. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm hoping that will solve the problem , so I get on with my life.
My wife was talking about a stronger router, I don't know "IF' that would also solve the problem?

Thanks for your replies and listening to me rant.
Dan

Hi All I got a call back from RT@ 11:30,but the person wasn't a WiFi expert. He was going have Zach call back me back, this happen once before with out a call back. I was so pissed that New York City attitude took over, and before you know it Zach was on the line. Zach suggested a WiFi extender.

Home Depot has them in stock. I went to 3 HD the lines were soo long. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm hoping that will solve the problem , so I get on with my life.
My wife was talking about a stronger router, I don't know "IF' that would also solve the problem?

Thanks for your replies and listening to me rant.
Dan
Maybe you should listen to your wife, happy wife happy life ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew550
Back