How to increase the WiFi range on your Rec Tec Grill

I have a google wifi mesh network and the RT-700 is installed in the back yard below deck level and the Mesh signal was terrible and connection to the Rec tec very spotty. I found this outdoor waterproof wifi cabinet on Amazon as well as a refurbished wifi mesh point and it solved my problem by extending my network next to the grill.

Link for the outdoor cabinet that will work with pretty much any network extender.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042ZKWBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• meshpuck.jpg
    meshpuck.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 105
  • wificabinet.jpg
    wificabinet.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 109
When this post was first made, all the recteq grills shipped with a small internal antenna. Now they all ship with an external antenna, so it would be questionable how much, if any, improvement in range you would see with the Highfine or similar antenna. If you haven’t done so already, a call to recteq support might be the best place to start.
My 700 came with the internal antenna mentioned above. I could not connect when I first set up my grill. Recteq had me pull the antenna out and leave it dangling under the shelf. Not vey elegant but works perfectly every time. Connects in a few seconds.

My 590 came with a little external antenna and I had problems maintaining the WiFi connection. It would frequently drop offline. I replaced the antenna with the larger one and haven’t had a problem since. Connecting the lead wire to the controller was a bit tricky, but it worked out fine.

Wonder if a guy could just pull one off an old router instead of giving bezos and some Chinese person money for something I already have.

If it has the right screw thread one Could try it. I had to change back to the connector on the bd, with it’s own tiny connector.

Wonder if a guy could just pull one off an old router instead of giving bezos and some Chinese person money for something I already have.
Possibly. As @padlin00 it would depend on the router antenna. Most of them use a larger connector, but you could certainly try. Let us know how it works out!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back