Pellets choice

Very true. I was thinking more of the whiskey flavor, how it tasted.
But, I do like me some Jack!
I have 2 bags of Bear Mountain’s Jim Beam pellets, and I’m really looking forward to trying them on a batch of pork belly burnt ends. By the way, Rural King gets around $4.00 a bag for regular pellets, $8.00 a bag for the Jim Beam pellets. Unlike the regular wood for pellet making, used Bourbon barrels are in high demand for many purposes, thus the higher price.

I have probably gone through 30 bags of these pellets over the last couple years and they have worked great. They are the most economical and I think they produce a great flavor without too much ash.

Also they are the longest lasting in a smoke tube by far over virtually any other brand that I have tried. So if you are into cold smoking, it is just an absolute slam dunk

After a year of using all different makers of pellets, I settled in on Pit Boss and use all the different woods they make. Make my own go to everyday pellets and have not been disappointed up to now. I use 10 lbs. hickory, 5 lbs. pecan, 3 lbs. mesquite, 2 lbs. of cherry or apple, whichever you have. It makes 20 pounds and i keep it in white tub by my smoker. Cook everything with it from bacon to pizza.

After a year of using all different makers of pellets, I settled in on Pit Boss and use all the different woods they make. Make my own go to everyday pellets and have not been disappointed up to now. I use 10 lbs. hickory, 5 lbs. pecan, 3 lbs. mesquite, 2 lbs. of cherry or apple, whichever you have. It makes 20 pounds and i keep it in white tub by my smoker. Cook everything with it from bacon to pizza.
That's my favorite pellet(s) too (y)

I have probably gone through 30 bags of these pellets over the last couple years and they have worked great. They are the most economical and I think they produce a great flavor without too much ash.

Also they are the longest lasting in a smoke tube by far over virtually any other brand that I have tried. So if you are into cold smoking, it is just an absolute slam dunk
Cgriz which ones are you referring to?

With a smoke generating device attached like the SmokeDaddy devices and others to generate smoke flavors of your choice, most any of the pellet brands will work to generate enough heat to cook with.

I picked up 6 bags yesterday & promptly used some for steaks on a gas fired smoker & really liked the flavor they produced ... may go after more when the weather clears around here. I'm fairly certain the Bull I have on order will like grazing on them too :)
Where did you buy them? I live in central Alabama.

I have used the CookinPellets.com "Perfect Mix" and 100% Hickory pellets over the years and been really happy with them. They have a "Apple Mash" and a 100% Black Cherry which I have not used.

Low ash and 100% flavor wood. Not the cheapest pellet out there, but really good.

I have some cheap Louisiana Grills pellets that I bought and use in the bottom of the hopper when I am getting the grill to temp. , especially for higher temps.

Apologies if this is seen as hijacking, but what can you recommend as a cheap pellet that works in the Recteq that I can use for grilling. I don't see burning more expensive pellets at 400, 450 degrees. I Googled the Louisiana Grill pellets but they came out at $0.75 a pound, and I can often get deals on Good pellets at that price or even less.

Lowes has LumberJack Competition Blend for $15/40lb bag, been working fine for me.

I can usually get Bear Mountain on sale for about $7.50 / 20# bag.

If you are near a Rural King, they almost pay you to take Bear Mountain pellets, $3.88 for 20#, and Lumber Jack is $8.88 for 20#. I understand that Academy Sports & Outdoors has some decent pellet prices also, I think $10 for 20# of B&B pellets. The closest one to me is still about 1-½ hours from me, so I’m happy with Rural King.

Using them now.. no issue. Have 6 bags and well into the 1st bag. Can't beat the price.
I am into my second bag. We love the flavor on pork, chicken and steak. Even used it for pizza.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back