Pellets get stuck in buckethead vac hose - what to do?

MOTJ

Based on recommendations I read on this forum, I purchased one Home Depot Buckhead Vacuum to dedicate to removing pellets. It really pulled the pellets into the hose, but they seemed to get stuck in the hose and not make it into the bucket. After just a few seconds the suction would be nothing, I'd stop the vac, then have to dump the pellets our of the hose. What am I doing wrong?

I think the idea is fabulous, and must simply be some obvious mistake that I am making.

I'm considering getting a Bucket Head to dedicate for yearly ash clean-up, though I'm a bit concerned about the ash clogging the filter bag too quickly, or simply blowing the ash out the exhaust as I've read on some other sites.

Still, worth a try...

But what am I doing wrong with pellets....

Kind regards,
MOTJ

Frustrating, no doubt!I find that it (often) jams at a bend in the hose. Just straighten the hose, feel for the hard spot in the hose, squeeze it a few times, and it clears without ever needing to turn the vac off.

I’d get a dedicated vac for ash removal myself, but perhaps others here have used one successfully for both tasks.

Yes, the Buckethead hose is only like 1 1/2 inches in diameter. You need to pace yourself just a bit and gingerly suck up the pellets and make sure there isn't a kink in the hose. It's still faster and easier than scooping them out manually.

If the hose gets clogged, just whacking it against a hard surface has always freed up the clogs for me.

Thank you, all, for both letting me know that I am not alone in experiencing stuck pellets and what to do about the situation. Pacing to reduce likelihood and then straightening, squeezing and whacking the hose if pellets are stuck ought to help.

I really love the whole bucket idea, because the vacuum puts the pellets right into storage and one can seal the bucket with a nice tight cover! Storage space for the entire solution is minimal, and the buckethead vacs are so reasonably priced that having one for pellets and a different one for ash is practical. And, of course, inexpensive enough that these vacs can be dedicated JUST to these tasks, thereby eliminating contaminants to the pellets were one to utilize a multi-purpose shop vac that is used to vacuum the shop, car, woodworking areas and more.

Last edited:
Take it a little slower and suck less pellets at a time.
This.

You can also wrap your hand around the end of the hose and create a bit of a "buffer" that will reduce the rate of intake of pellets and increase airflow, which should alleviate jams.

I've had a couple of jams, but I was going hell bent for leather and had the hose jammed into the pellets. I wasn't surprised that it jammed.

I'm no less impressed with my buckethead than when I first bought it. I remain quite happy with it.

Last edited:
If you got the Buckethead vacuum idea from something I’ve posted, I’m sorry you are having this issue. I’ve not had that problem before.

After reading other responses, maybe those suggestions may help you.

And to be clear from my post regarding the bucket head vacuum, I don’t clear out my entire hopper with it. I have a decent sized Oxo brand scoop that I use to take the bulk of the pellets out of the hopper with. Then I use the bucket head vacuum to get the pellets and dust out the bottom of the hopper that I can’t get to with the scoop.

I have an RT-700 which I believe to be the same hopper, electronics, and cooking chamber as the 1070 and 1250 (from what I’ve read and understood).

If you got the Buckethead vacuum idea from something I’ve posted, I’m sorry you are having this issue. I’ve not had that problem before.

After reading other responses, maybe those suggestions may help you.

And to be clear from my post regarding the bucket head vacuum, I don’t clear out my entire hopper with it. I have a decent sized Oxo brand scoop that I use to take the bulk of the pellets out of the hopper with. Then I use the bucket head vacuum to get the pellets and dust out the bottom of the hopper that I can’t get to with the scoop.

I have an RT-700 which I believe to be the same hopper, electronics, and cooking chamber as the 1070 and 1250 (from what I’ve read and understood).

Not specifically from you, but likely including your recommendation as well as many others' on other forums, too. It is a fabulous recommendation - I have NO regrets purchasing a Buckethead and most likely will purchase another one to dedicate to ash. I figure I'll work out the kinks (pun intended) based on all of the suggestions. In fact, this first time that I used the vac and when the pellets got stuck - I changed my strategy to exactly that - scooped out most, then used the vacuum at the bottom.

THANK YOU!

Bet the Pellets get caught in the Corrugation of the Vacuum Hose
Maybe a length of straight walled PVC Tubing will work better
1713629864949.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back