Pellets choice

Hope not, but I've noticed my rural king is only stocking blends as well... The 100% single flavors are way better.

I also bought the 220# of pellets with my RT-700 to get me started. I don't even have the grill yet as it is still enroute. I have started looking at pellet sources. I spoke to a couple buddies that have Traegers and they typically buy their brand pellet from the local Ace Hardware. More to support the local store than anything else.

We don't have any Rural King stores but we do have a Lowes and I see they are $17 for a 40# bag of the competition PittBoss. They don't stock it but I can get free ship to store on the Louisiana for $30 for 40#.

The other option that I was looking at was there is a place on Craigs list which is a bit of a drive but sells Louisiana Grills pellets for $22 a 40# bag. If I were to buy enough it might make sense but if the PittBoss is just as good I would be better off just getting that at Lowes and get the 10% vet discount.

Looks like my local Dicks sporting goods has a good selection of Lumber Jack pellets in stock. Good to have options.
Really wish the 700 had a pellet dump... lol

Following up on this. I contacted Lumberjack and the 100% pellets were discontinued in the US. Still available in Canada. Apparently they weren't a big seller. They may bring them back here and there as limited runs. Unfortunate as the 100% apple works great for my fish dip. I still have about 7 bags left so I'll have to stretch them out.

Following up on this. I contacted Lumberjack and the 100% pellets were discontinued in the US. Still available in Canada. Apparently they weren't a big seller. They may bring them back here and there as limited runs. Unfortunate as the 100% apple works great for my fish dip. I still have about 7 bags left so I'll have to stretch them out.
Does that specifically refer to the 100% Apple pellets? Just making sure they aren't changing other flavors.

Does that specifically refer to the 100% Apple pellets? Just making sure they aren't changing other flavors.
Rural King has LJ 100% cherry, hickory, and oak. They have apple, mesquite, and pecan in a blend. Plus their competition blend and char hickory. All LJ is on sale for $6.99 a bag right now.

Rural King has LJ 100% cherry, hickory, and oak. They have apple, mesquite, and pecan in a blend. Plus their competition blend and char hickory. All LJ is on sale for $6.99 a bag right now.
Yeah, I assume he meant only the 100% apple is going away. Just wanted to make sure the other 100% varieties aren't - would be a shame.

And if only we could get Rural King prices for LJ here in New England.....

When I first started pellet grilling with a Traeger Jr from Costco (which I quickly returned) and on to a GMG Danial Boone, I quickly became a pellet snob. I read and believed most everything I read on the Pelletheads forum. I went on the search for the best pellets there was available and finally realized they all work well overall. The 8 buck a bag worked as well as the 25 buck a bag and the flavor??? With exception of Hickory and Mesquite, I could not tell you by taste which pellet I used. Now I just get the cheapest pellets available to me where I live, IMHO smoke is smoke.

Tractor supply near me stocks Bear Mountain, Pit Boss and a Jim beam bourbon. Bear Mt. was 9.99 for 20#. I grabbed all the Oak they had (2 bags). The rest was their gourmet blend.

I bought my last batch of Lumberjack pellets from Dick's. I use LJ apple and cherry often for cheese, pork and fish. For beef, I use mesquite.

With exception of Hickory and Mesquite, I could not tell you by taste which pellet I used. Now I just get the cheapest pellets available to me where I live, IMHO smoke is smoke.

That sums up my pellet experience exactly. I know a lot of people say they can detect the flavor differences in all the various pellets, and I believe them. I’m just not one of those people myself.

Tractor supply near me stocks Bear Mountain, Pit Boss and a Jim beam bourbon. Bear Mt. was 9.99 for 20#. I grabbed all the Oak they had (2 bags). The rest was their gourmet blend.
I believe the Jim Beam is also made by Bear Mountain. Our local TS store has the $9.99 price too, and a recent sale was $2 off. It's a good deal, especially considering the price of LJ around here Would have bought some if we hadn't already loaded up with the el cheapo Kingsford deal at Lowes...

Once I have depleted my inventory of all the assorted pellets I have, I’m going with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend for 100% use in the hoppers, and using LJ cherry and hickory for the smoke tubes. Rural King has the Gourmet Blend for $4.98/20# everyday, sometimes on sale for $3.98.

That sums up my pellet experience exactly. I know a lot of people say they can detect the flavor differences in all the various pellets, and I believe them. I’m just not one of those people myself.

As a test, I recommend you try individually smoking some chicken using mesquite, cherry, hickory, and apple, all individually. Most people can tell those apart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back