Pellets choice

Bama BBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone here use the Pit Boss Competition Blend in their Rec Teq's & if so what do you think about their performance, especially with pork & beef ?
Some of the big box stores around here have the 40lbs. bags for $14.99 & I've used their Oak before with plenty good results but never the competition blend.

Anyone here use the Pit Boss Competition Blend in their Rec Teq's & if so what do you think about their performance, especially with pork & beef ?
Some of the big box stores around here have the 40lbs. bags for $14.99 & I've used their Oak before with plenty good results but never the competition blend.
I have found these Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets work great in my Bull and are locally available in my area for under $15.00 for a 40 pound bag, IMHO best bang for the buck for cooking pellets and for results on the cook.

Last edited:
I’ve never used them, but Rural King here still has the Bear Mountain pellets for under $4.00 for a 20# bag, a no-brainer if you are near a RK. Speaking of deals, I bought lump charcoal for the Wyldside today at Tractor Supply, $2.99 for a 17.5# bag. They also refill propane tanks for a great price. Don’t overlook the farm supply stores if you have one close by-great deals everyday.

Using them now.. no issue. Have 6 bags and well into the 1st bag. Can't beat the price.
I picked up 6 bags yesterday & promptly used some for steaks on a gas fired smoker & really liked the flavor they produced ... may go after more when the weather clears around here. I'm fairly certain the Bull I have on order will like grazing on them too :)

They are available and work in a pinch. I don't like them personally though. I still think the Lumberjack 100% all wood 1 flavor work better.

I've keep a 40lbs. Bag of lumberjack here and like the overall flavor they produce but they seem to have more dust than most but burn clean.
To me , I weigh flavor over any ash etc... I just think they are the best "overall" brand.(cost, availability,flavor,burn,consistency)

To me , I weigh flavor over any ash etc... I just think they are the best "overall" brand.(cost, availability,flavor,burn,consistency)
How much do you have to pay for your lumberjack? It is $20 for a 20lb bag here.

I’ve never used them, but Rural King here still has the Bear Mountain pellets for under $4.00 for a 20# bag, a no-brainer if you are near a RK. Speaking of deals, I bought lump charcoal for the Wyldside today at Tractor Supply, $2.99 for a 17.5# bag. They also refill propane tanks for a great price. Don’t overlook the farm supply stores if you have one close by-great deals everyday.
I wish I had that around here. Best I can do on Bear Mountain is getting in on their online specials of BOGO free. Last time they no longer offered free shipping so it was around $13 per bag but still cheaper than buying local.

8.88 at Rural King here
It's $20 for 20lbs. here unless it goes on sale & that's not often. If it was $8.88 in my area I'd buy more of it. I caught it on Amazon a few years ago for $9 shipped & snatched up 5 bags & was actually surprised the deal went thru. These Pit Boss Competition Hardwood mix are performing well for me so .... :)

Atwoods and Dicks have the Lumberjack for $8.88 as well.
$14.99 at mine for competition blend or hickory and $24.99 for the 100% mesquite, which is what I use.

It's $20 for 20lbs. here unless it goes on sale & that's not often. If it was $8.88 in my area I'd buy more of it. I caught it on Amazon a few years ago for $9 shipped & snatched up 5 bags & was actually surprised the deal went thru. These Pit Boss Competition Hardwood mix are performing well for me so .... :)
I would like to try the pit boss charcoal blend but I can't find it locally. All our Walmarts are wiped out of pellets. Seems Walmart isn't stocking much in their garden departments, at least not around here.

I would like to try the pit boss charcoal blend but I can't find it locally. All our Walmarts are wiped out of pellets. Seems Walmart isn't stocking much in their garden departments, at least not around here.
Cooking pellets are a seasonal thing in the stores. I was able to order the Pit Boss Charcoal Blend online awhile back and have them shipped from Walmart.

Cooking pellets are a seasonal thing in the stores. I was able to order the Pit Boss Charcoal Blend online awhile back and have them shipped from Walmart.
It has been like that since covid hit. Our walmarts either are getting wiped out as soon as it comes in or they are just not stocking them. They usually have that big garden area packed in the spring/summer with plants, potting soils, grills and other outdoor stuff. This past summer, it was just bare. I assume it isn't an issue of getting the items because Lowes and Home Depot down the street have no problem getting the stuff.

$14.99 at mine for competition blend or hickory and $24.99 for the 100% mesquite, which is what I use.
Check their website next time you're buying some and have them price match, the $8.88 pricing came from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back