Select Bear Mountain Pellets at Walmart

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I just saw that Bear Mountain is selling a few of their blended pellets at Walmart (and Walmart.com with free delivery/shipping) at basically 50% off of their normal prices. They don't have all of their varieties. I just picked up a couple of bags, but the first one hasn't cleared the hopper into the firepot yet, but at $11.99 for 20 pounds from a reputable supplier I think it was worth a shot.

Anyone else try them yet?

So I just saw that Bear Mountain is selling a few of their blended pellets at Walmart (and Walmart.com with free delivery/shipping) at basically 50% off of their normal prices. They don't have all of their varieties. I just picked up a couple of bags, but the first one hasn't cleared the hopper into the firepot yet, but at $11.99 for 20 pounds from a reputable supplier I think it was worth a shot.

I switched to BM about a year ago. Been working great for me in my Bullseye.

Just looked at the Walmart website and found that they also carry my preferred Hickory pellets, but at $19.95/20# bag. That’s $5 more than my local Wilco farm supply store sells them for: $14.95/20# bag. Just bought three bags there yesterday.

The even better news is that I’ve found a local source for LumberJack Hickory pellets at $14.95/20# bag. Unfortunately, they were temporarily out of Hickory, but said more were on the way. The thing I like about LJ is that they are “100% Hickory” vs “100% hardwood” of the BM. I’m told BM is 40% Hickory and 60% Oak.

Has anyone tried the Jack Daniel’s old no 7 pellets? It says they’re premium blended pellets with charcoal used in the filtering process when they make the whiskey.

my palate must not be as refined as some you guys and gals, Ive tried different brands of pellets and different flavors and I do not taste any difference

My insane sense of smell is the opposite of many I know, and I often say "how can you not smell that"? :LOL: Bear Mountain pellets are excellent, them and the Kirklands are my favorite.

my palate must not be as refined as some you guys and gals, Ive tried different brands of pellets and different flavors and I do not taste any difference
I’m the same way. Different pellets may smell different when burning, but when the food is on the plate I don’t think I would ever be able to tell a difference.

Im the same with one exception. The bourbon/brown sugar pellets from Cabelas are awesome. I use them on pork. Ive done ribs a couple times with them. Going to do a pork roast sunday. Going to throw a hunk of salmon on with it to see how that goes.

I agree that smelling/tasting the difference doesn't really work for me. I've been sticking with Lumberjack (when I can find them) or Bear Mountain strictly because they seem to burn fairly consistently and don't generate a ton of ash. Some pellets I've used end up blowing ash everywhere.

Im the same with one exception. The bourbon/brown sugar pellets from Cabelas are awesome. I use them on pork. Ive done ribs a couple times with them. Going to do a pork roast sunday. Going to throw a hunk of salmon on with it to see how that goes.
Well, talking about it and thinking about it got the better of me....

I seasoned everything up and got it on the grill at 10am.....
20240412_094849.jpg

Im so weak......

(sorry for the hyjack)

For me, I don’t notice the smoke flavor from pellets like I did smoking say, a turkey on my stick burner, using hickory, you could not miss it. That said, I would like to find LJ hickory pellets locally to try. Seems finding LJ in my local area turns out like getting a Firmware update, just never happens.🙄

Oak?

It seems oak is frowned upon (at least in blends).

Any comments on using 100% Oak from bear mountain ?

I had used LJ oak some time ago but no longer available.

My insane sense of smell is the opposite of many I know, and I often say "how can you not smell that"? :LOL: Bear Mountain pellets are excellent, them and the Kirklands are my favorite.
Was going to ask here regarding the Kirkland 40 lb bags. Is it a “safe” pellet for a grill? Does it burn well, too quickly, etc? TIA

Ive been buying BM pellets at Academy Sporting goods store for about 6 months and the normal price is $9.99 regardless of wood type - I know this retail chain is not as prolific as some others but I am fortunate to have one near by. I really like the fact that I have very little ash at the end of the cook and it burns so well.

Was going to ask here regarding the Kirkland 40 lb bags. Is it a “safe” pellet for a grill? Does it burn well, too quickly, etc? TIA

Of course they are, and 100% "food grade" pellets, these are not the ones used in pellet stoves. I have tried most of the popular pellet options out there, and IMHO these are the best deal out there and work/taste/smell GREAT.

I order BM from Lowe's. 20# hickory is about $12. Free delivery to the store. I haven't seen any 20# bags of BM mesquite. What's up with that?

You can get all varieties at Sam's club 40lbs for $14. Everyday.

Has anyone tried the Jack Daniel’s old no 7 pellets? It says they’re premium blended pellets with charcoal used in the filtering process when they make the whiskey.
I have used them at about a 40% ratio. I like them as they give off a slightly weak charcoal flavor. Sorta reminiscence of the old charcoal days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back