Pellets choice

Our Lowe's in FL doesn't have Lumberjack pellets ... they have Pit Boss (14.99/40lbs), Kingsford and Weber.

Same in Dallas. Not sure no prices. Not sure they even havej Pit Boss. I don't remember seeing any the last time I was there but wasn't really looking. Picked up a couple of bags of the Kingsford to try since they were $5.99.

I just ordered 20# Pit Boss Apple, $9.99 and 40# Pit Boss Competition Blend, $14.99 for pickup at Lowe's. It's a 60 mile drive, but no problem as I I'm driving into the Las Vegas Airport next Saturday to pick up one of our daughters. And that Lowe's parking lot sits at the side of one of the taxiways.

I hate to act like a snub but I only use lumberjack pellets. Mainly because the ash is so minimal. It is hard to find lumberjack pellets so I get them from a guy who has them delivered to his industrial warehouse. He charges 18 dollars per 40lb bag. I find very little difference in flavors of pellets except for red color produced from Cherry pellets. So I pretty much standardized on 100% hickory from LJ

I just picked up my first bag of pellets today in anticipation of the Bull arriving soon. Menards had Pit Boss Competition 40lbs for $14.99. However I grabbed 20lbs of Lumberjack Competition blend for $9.99 at Farm & Fleet.

I just picked up my first bag of pellets today in anticipation of the Bull arriving soon. Menards had Pit Boss Competition 40lbs for $14.99. However I grabbed 20lbs of Lumberjack Competition blend for $9.99 at Farm & Fleet.
Either one of the pellets you found and could have bought would have worked the same.

Last edited:
I've only done 4 cooks on my new Bull so far, and I'm really happy with Lumberjack Competition Blend. I do use a smoke tube when cooking fish and chicken and use Lumberjack Apple and Hickory for pork. Very little ash and good flavor and temperature performance. Since I get them for $8.99/20lb bag, I don't see a reason to change at this time.

Either one of the pellets you found and could have bought would have worked the same.
Agree 100% .
I keep the Lumberjack & Pit Boss pellets on hand, both competition blend & can't tell any difference in smoke color, taste or burn rate, & yes I have a pretty sensitive palate. Have tried MANY brands over the years, especially when I run across something I've never seen or used before while traveling out of my area.

Best pellets for fish? Something lighter like apple? Which brands of the fruitier woods do folks like?

Our local TSC has the PitBoss CB for $14.99/40lbs. I have burned a ton of them. The only trouble I've ever had with them is occasional failure to ignite. I just stick a torch in the firepot when it happens. I've also never got my Bull over 450 with them, but I have a Bullseye too now so no need.

Our local TSC has the PitBoss CB for $14.99/40lbs. I have burned a ton of them. The only trouble I've ever had with them is occasional failure to ignite. I just stick a torch in the firepot when it happens. I've also never got my Bull over 450 with them, but I have a Bullseye too now so no need.
Never over 450, wonder why? Mine will hit over 500 + using them although it creeps a little from 435 up but it gets there. Maybe play with your feed rate or even try to open the meat probe window until it gains heat, extra air small amounts can change things, even the smoke stack height. I'm in a real high humidity area & had to remove the gaskets I previously installed to get consistent higher temps. Every area is different it seems.

Does anyone know what brand the Recteq "Ultimate Blend" pellets are? I received the 220 lb bundle deal which included 160 pounds of their blend. The other 60 pounds was various Kingsford pellets (hickory, maple and hickory oak maple blend).

Does anyone know what brand the Recteq "Ultimate Blend" pellets are? I received the 220 lb bundle deal which included 160 pounds of their blend. The other 60 pounds was various Kingsford pellets (hickory, maple and hickory oak maple blend).
The common assumption is that they are Cookinpellets, but I don’t believe that recteq has officially stated that or not.

(I posted this last night on another thread)
I just asked the same question as I have burned through my first bag this week. I like the Ultimate blend pellets as my wife does not like heavy smoke. If you look at the picture on the website they are clearly labeled cookinpellets . OR THEY WERE, looks like they took it down while reading this thread! 🕵️‍♂️
RecTeq told me you can buy at Amazon or home depot, which HomeDepot does sell the RecTeq brand for $35.00 per bag. Not sure if they stock.

Just looking for a pellet to keep my RecTeq and my wife happy. I have had great luck with the Ultimate blend, I don't understand why RecTeq wont sell pellets they recommend for their grill.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.39.15 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 78
I just asked the same question as I have burned through my first bag this week. I like the Ultimate blend pellets as my wife does not like heavy smoke. If you look at the picture on the website they are clearly labeled cookinpellets . OR THEY WERE, looks like they took it down while reading this thread! 🕵️‍♂️
RecTeq told me you can buy at Amazon or home depot, which HomeDepot does sell the RecTeq brand for $35.00 per bag. Not sure if they stock.

Just looking for a pellet to keep my RecTeq and my wife happy. I have had great luck with the Ultimate blend, I don't understand why RecTeq wont sell pellets they recommend for their grill.

I think it is the same on the site still.. just click on the pellets and it will show the picture.

So far I am still happy with Pit Boss Comp Blend that can be found in Lowes usually for $15 / 40#

Tough situation with smoke flavor .. I think regardless of brand or type you will get some smokiness cooking with pellets.

They are different pellets, different blend. recteq used to sell both, I still have some in my pellet inventory. The fact that recteq carried the Cookinpellets Perfect Mix is one reason why many believe Cookinpellets makes the recteq Ultimate Blend.
BD839746-B581-4758-B001-E81F4EEE94EE.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back