Stampede More smoke flavor

OK My chunks are 2 x 2..Can't hurt.
Thanks Dan
Funny, whole chunk turns to white ask, so don't forget to shop vac it out. I typically use 4-5 on cooks that'll last a few hours. I have it running now, I used 4.

Use a Heavy D Heat Diffuser. I love mine. Gives you up to 4 hours of stick burner smoke. Took my RecTec to the next level. I always load it for the next cook when I change my foil on my drip pan.

Wow that is NOT cheap:( I'm 1st going to try the diffuser that is in the 590
Thanks Dan

I guess I'm cheap. I just put the meat on while the smoker gets up to temp, plus start out on Lo/high smoke. There's a lot of wasted smoke going on during startup.

I have been doing the first hour or two at 180 for smoke then up to 225. I have some wood chips, would they work like chunks on top of the deflector plate?

I have been doing the first hour or two at 180 for smoke then up to 225. I have some wood chips, would they work like chunks on top of the deflector plate?
yes, have used them also. they don't last long, but work

Buckeye I've even put chips in my smoke tube a CPL every so far...just don't over do it so it stays lit*

Hi All Ribs are done 5 hrs @225 unwrapped Lumber Jack Fruitwood blend.
I was pissed all day. The WiFi sucked big time yesterday, tried to get it to work 10 times with NO luck..I tested it the day before the cook and it worked, last week with worked good for my over night. I have some chicken wings & thighs for tomorrow my plan is go low & extreme for 1 hr then kick it up too 350* looking for crispy skin.
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_075007260.jpg
    IMG_20200510_075007260.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200510_181839342.jpg
    IMG_20200510_181839342.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200510_184951086.jpg
    IMG_20200510_184951086.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Ribs look good. Did they have enough smoke flavor? You might want to try 100% Hickory. Fruitwood tends to be too light for me.

Hi I really am NOT a good judge of smoke flavor, my taste buds have gone South..I gave some ribs to my neighbor I'll ask him about the smoke flavor. I asked my wife who is not into smoke meats,she couldn't tell.. So the jury is still out, until I hear from my neighbor.
I didn't want to over power the ribs with hickory.
Dan
PS What pissed me off was the WiFi App.(n)I have been pissed off today I just might try the WiFi, just out of curiously

Last edited:
Funny, whole chunk turns to white ask, so don't forget to shop vac it out. I typically use 4-5 on cooks that'll last a few hours. I have it running now, I used 4.
Hi I put 3 cherry chunks on the diffuser. I check today they didn't burn at all, they were still solid chunks..My temps were 225* most of time? What happen?

Thanks Dan

Hi I put 3 cherry chunks on the diffuser. I check today they didn't burn at all, they were still solid chunks..My temps were 225* most of time? What happen?

Thanks Dan

Did you put the grill at 265-275 like i told you for the first few minutes so they light off? if not, that explains why there're still chunks there.

Wasnt trying to sound sarca
Put some chunks on top of the diffuser like i do, and many others do, no issues. Another option is running it at extreme smoke for an hour two based on preference.

For the chunks, just get them to light off and dial the temp back down to 225. It works every time. other than that, smoke tube it or get a heavy D smoke diffuser.
I set the grill to 260ish just for a few minutes to get them to smolder or light, then turn the temps down, not have had an issue since.

This what i do Dan, never a problem. I know when they light off because of the amount of smoke that starts pouring out. now its key not to set fire to them, have them light off (Smolder), and you're golden.

Hi All I only had the at 225*. Next time I'l star higher.
Thanks Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back