I'm going to get educated

A few pics of the class

Harry showing a "Black Belt" tip on brisket. Rehydrating after the brisket is done right off the smoker.
View attachment 14217

Class participation...wrapping a brisket.
View attachment 14218

The master at work.
View attachment 14219

Some great brisket.
View attachment 14220

Near the end of the class when all the foods were coming out.
View attachment 14221

With the class, you get lifetime support from Harry...his lifetime, he clarified.
View attachment 14222
i would give that more likes if i could man!!! smoke ring is amazing. what kinda cooker yall use? he definitely trimmed that brisket with care. i would have left small scraps like that. i could definitely use some education my self

i would give that more likes if i could man!!! smoke ring is amazing. what kinda cooker yall use? he definitely trimmed that brisket with care. i would have left small scraps like that. i could definitely use some education my self

He had the brisket on a 18" WSM bullet. There were a lot of smokers going. He really didn't focus on smokers. The trimming he showed us a "restaurant" trim, which is what you'd do for yourself. Then he showed us his "competition" trim, which maximizes bark on the point for the burnt ends and actually cuts off all the overlapping flat. That leaves just enough to get some good flat meat and good burnt ends. Lots of waste. But that's to go after a $10k prize with a $300 wagyu brisket.

I'm an hour and change into my shot at his rib recipe and something I'm trying to better his. I don't do St Lou cut ribs because my wife likes the full spares or baby backs. So, I'm a novice at the St Louis trim.

20220109_115711.jpg

Harry's recipe on the left, mine on the right. It won't look different until the wrap. Although my rub is different than his. I'm going to use some neighbors as my Guinnea pigs tonight when their done. We're having a happy hour in the cul de sac. I'll do a blind test with them.
20220109_130949.jpg

Ok, so I tried to replicate Harry's ribs and I thought I had done a good job,except that I cooked them beyond competition doneness. They were pull off the bone tender. But then both my recipe and Harry's were the same doneness. Many people like more tender ribs than competition style.

My guinnea pigs waiting patiently for ribs.
20220109_180752.jpg

Here's the trays I took out to happy hour.

Harry's recipe came out like I remembered.
20220109_182632.jpg

My recipe. I made this up on the fly. Harry said to do something outside your comfort zone. So, I actually just picked some apple sauce as I was gathering ingredients for Harry's recipe. I didn't know how I'd use it at the time. When they were ready for wrapping, I decided it'd be a "Apple pie" flavor profile. So, in the wrap went brown sugar, apple sauce, cinnamon, and a few teaspoons of clarified butter.
20220109_182644.jpg

Just a note about these style ribs. Both were sweet. Harrys recipe was very sweet. Harry said he doesn't like ribs this sweet, but it won competitions. He didn't elaborate as to when this recipe won, but he did say his recipes were changing as the competitors catch on to his recipes and his stop winning. I'm of similar leaning as Harry. I prefer a not so sweet rib.

They look amazing... I actually prefer the fall off the bone doneness but I get the competition goal is bite off.

Sounds like an incredible favor profile with apple sauce & cinnamon!

Yeah, I'm thinking about going to "Beat Bobby Flay" next. :ROFLMAO:

My neighbors all picked my recipe over Harry's in the blind test. In fairness, it was dark and his recipe looked a lot better and if presentation were a factor, he would have edged me out. LOL.

So those ribs are now my "Wild Side Apple Pie Ribs".

Yeah, I'm thinking about going to "Beat Bobby Flay" next. :ROFLMAO:

My neighbors all picked my recipe over Harry's in the blind test. In fairness, it was dark and his recipe looked a lot better and if presentation were a factor, he would have edged me out. LOL.

So those ribs are now my "Wild Side Apple Pie Ribs".
Wait a minute, were your neighbors blind drunk or just blind?:LOL:

You're my kind of neighbor(y)

I think some of the neighbors were peeking out from behind curtains. That washer drum fire pit came out of my washer a few weeks ago. I was just going to toss out the washer, but the next door neighbor wanted to use it for a fire pit. I thought about it before, but thought maybe a neighborhood where the house costs are rediculously out of sight, might be the wrong place for a fire pit like that. My nextdoor neighbor was braver. I had a friend make up the base to elevate it off the grass. This was the inaugural voyage. Kinda brings the trailer court to our little street. :ROFLMAO:

20220109_180752.jpg

I think some of the neighbors were peeking out from behind curtains. That washer drum fire pit came out of my washer a few weeks ago. I was just going to toss out the washer, but the next door neighbor wanted to use it for a fire pit. I thought about it before, but thought maybe a neighborhood where the house costs are rediculously out of sight, might be the wrong place for a fire pit like that. My nextdoor neighbor was braver. I had a friend make up the base to elevate it off the grass. This was the inaugural voyage. Kinda brings the trailer court to our little street. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 14252
Had me fooled, I thought it was this.

the town i live in the average home is about $90k my neighborhood is 300-500k. our house is on the lower end of that scale. i keep the place looking good and yard is one of the best. but i like to bring the jeep home slap covered in mud dragging limbs just so they know who the redneck is. i will sometimes have a dead boar on the lawn.

the town i live in the average home is about $90k my neighborhood is 300-500k. our house is on the lower end of that scale. i keep the place looking good and yard is one of the best. but i like to bring the jeep home slap covered in mud dragging limbs just so they know who the redneck is. i will sometimes have a dead boar on the lawn.
We don't get many dead animals where I am, only people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back