Stampede Dripping not going in drip bucket

wimbfou

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
After numerous smokes I have very little in my drip bucket. I cover the tray in foil and the drippings just sit there.

Thank you for quick reply. What is the purpose of the angled tray and drip bucket if nothing drips to bucket. I have the 590

I too have a 590 but things do drip. Could be the waviness of the foil? Or how much fat/juice is dripping off the meat? Depends on what you're smoking, I suppose.

You're just not cooking anything juicy enough yet.
You either need bigger batches of food, or way fattier meat - or both.

It depends upon what you're cooking, if there is any negative slope to where your grill is at, and if you foil, how nice a job you did smoothing out the foil. I know this sounds dumb, but I'll share it because I did it. Make sure your drip pan is properly seated on both sides. It is possible to put it back in and miss the lip on the left side and eliminate the intended rightward slope.

Different cooks are wildly different as to how much dripping takes place. A Wagyu brisket sheds a fair amount. Poultry (other than duck), not so much. Beef plate ("Dino") ribs release crazy amounts of drippings. I did two 3 bone racks one time and literally overflowed the drip bucket.

Put a level on the grill left to right as well as front to back. I've heard some people say their grill was not level even when the ground was, it was higher on the right side than the left. They put a 1x4 under the left side wheels to ensure the grease flowed toward the right toward the pail.

I initially used foil, but stopped after a few cooks. For me, it's quicker to use a 6" drywall knife to scrape accumulation off the drip tray than to apply foil, not trying to make it spotless. My drip pail collects plenty of grease, specially with something like a pork shoulder.

Put a level on the grill left to right as well as front to back. I've heard some people say their grill was not level even when the ground was, it was higher on the right side than the left. They put a 1x4 under the left side wheels to ensure the grease flowed toward the right toward the pail.

I initially used foil, but stopped after a few cooks. For me, it's quicker to use a 6" drywall knife to scrape accumulation off the drip tray than to apply foil, not trying to make it spotless. My drip pail collects plenty of grease, specially with something like a pork shoulder.

Yup.......these grills like to be level in order to drain grease correctly, and also no foil for me.......easy clean up with a plastic ice scraper. :)

I rarely had grease make it to the can when using foil unless the item was very fatty or I spritz a lot.

I am having the same problem. Grill is on a level slab left to right. 1x plank under wheels on left. If I don't use foil my food is covered with black grease splatter (most noticeable with chicken) even if I scrape the tray before each cook. If I do use foil the grease does not sufficiently flow to the bucket. My previous pellet grill did not splatter so I never even tried foil.

Ahhh, kind of makes sense while most smokers have the drip pan under the grill (including the new design of the recteq)

The long journey drip pan is not efficient and even less when it has the valley of foil to get down

Take a cup of water, pour it in - see if it will go where it's supposed to go.
If the water makes it - you're setup fine - just keep grilling.
I empty my catch pan of rain water more often than grease.

I am having the same problem. Grill is on a level slab left to right. 1x plank under wheels on left. If I don't use foil my food is covered with black grease splatter (most noticeable with chicken) even if I scrape the tray before each cook. If I do use foil the grease does not sufficiently flow to the bucket. My previous pellet grill did not splatter so I never even tried foil.

Doesn't make sense, mine doesn't do that. The foil is gonna be the same temp as the tray, of course I don't cook over 300F either nor do I use foil. I have a small magnetic level that I sit on top of grill before lighting up, ensures where I park is indeed level. Trager has some disposable grease trays that you might give a try, not a perfect fit but work well overall I hear?

It depends upon what you're cooking, if there is any negative slope to where your grill is at, and if you foil, how nice a job you did smoothing out the foil. I know this sounds dumb, but I'll share it because I did it. Make sure your drip pan is properly seated on both sides. It is possible to put it back in and miss the lip on the left side and eliminate the intended rightward slope.

Different cooks are wildly different as to how much dripping takes place. A Wagyu brisket sheds a fair amount. Poultry (other than duck), not so much. Beef plate ("Dino") ribs release crazy amounts of drippings. I did two 3 bone racks one time and literally overflowed the drip bucket.
When the unit is off and cooled, do a water test to make sure it works the way it should.

PSA, Do Not, repeat Do Not get the pellets wet. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Pour a little water on the drip/drain pan…to make sure it drains properly.

If anyone took what I said to mean take everything off above the firebox and pour water in it or pour water in the hopper either has a sick sense of humor or should sell their pellet grills. I was simply talking about ensuring the drip/drain pan has the correct angle to drain grease properly. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pour a little water on the drip/drain pan…to make sure it drains properly.

If anyone took what I said to mean take everything off above the firebox and pour water in it or pour water in the hopper either has a sick sense of humor or should sell their pellet grills. I was simply talking about ensuring the drip/drain pan has the correct angle to drain grease properly. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Wait, you didn't mean pour a gallon of water in the hopper and let it run through the auger into the fire pot? Oh crap I might be in trouble. 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back