Beef Plate Ribs...I found them!!!

Great job guys! Both of your cooks look fantastic!

I totally agree with Infantryman it has been really fun reading about this! It got me researching how we could get our hands on some of these ribs out where I live...so far no success, but I’ll keep looking...

Great job guys! Both of your cooks look fantastic!

I totally agree with Infantryman it has been really fun reading about this! It got me researching how we could get our hands on some of these ribs out where I live...so far no success, but I’ll keep looking...
I wish I could find a retailer around here where I live! At this point I'll drive anywhere in the greater Tri-State area for good Beef ribs! ?

Last edited:
Just passed the 7 hr mark for the slab, 4 hrs for the bones. Basted the bones but I stopped basting on the slab to let the bark build. Maybe one more baste after this for the bones.

They seem to be cooking faster than I expected...but sometimes things slow way down at the end.
20200531_103904.jpg
20200531_104138.jpg

Just passed the 7 hr mark for the slab, 4 hrs for the bones. Basted the bones but I stopped basting on the slab to let the bark build. Maybe one more baste after this for the bones.

They seem to be cooking faster than I expected...but sometimes things slow way down at the end.
View attachment 4470View attachment 4471
Looking good, they look like a patient in ICU with all the the things stuck in them. LOL ?

That's kind of interesting that the temperature is already over 200 for some of those. I never hit 200. I pulled average was about 190. Than wrapped. They look amazing!

That's kind of interesting that the temperature is already over 200 for some of those. I never hit 200. I pulled average was about 190. Than wrapped. They look amazing!

Beth,
The temps on the Smoke thermometer (upper) are just pit temps. I layed them in there next to the bones to see how even the temps were across the grill. You can see the Smoke thermometer probes are above the RT pit probe. I think I need to clean the carbon off the RT probe and check/calibrate it.
20200531_114850.jpg
The only meat temps are the RT probes. Just past 8 hrs now and the slab is 189 and one of the bones is 179 in this pic.
20200531_115825.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sorry. Sounds like you're getting there.

Beth
About the sauce, I wasn't accurate. My wife and I refer to the Japanese version of worcestershire sauce as "Ikari sauce" (pronounced e' kar e') generically, because that brand was what we grew up on. But Ikari is a brand name. The sauce in the picture is a Kagome brand of japanese worcestershire. They are both the same flavor profile. If you have a Japanese market near you, the thin worcestershire sauce is the kind I used on this. We also drizzle it on schredded cabbage.

Beth
About the sauce, I wasn't accurate. My wife and I refer to the Japanese version of worcestershire sauce as "Ikari sauce" (pronounced e' kar e') generically, because that brand was what we grew up on. But Ikari is a brand name. The sauce in the picture is a Kagome brand of japanese worcestershire. They are both the same flavor profile. If you have a Japanese market near you, the thin worcestershire sauce is the kind I used on this. We also drizzle it on schredded cabbage.
Thanks for letting me know I'm going to order it.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

The bones finished after 10 hrs. They're resting. Just visually, I didn't like the way the meat was twisting off the bone. But it seems to have cooked at least 3 hours faster and has more bark. The slab is nearly done but for the thick end.

It will be interesting to see if the individual bones taste any different. I agree, I would not like them twisting off the bone either.

Did you wrap?

Beth
No wrap. They're all finished now. The bones seem to take about 3 -4 hrs less than the slab.
20200531_171112.jpg
20200531_171412.jpg

Enjoy your dinner! Can't wait to hear how they turned out. They look fantastic in the bark looks great!

Ok, I cheated and sampled it before dinner. But I did have a proper cabernet with it. OMG! The salt brine was perfect and well penetrated (thanks Beth & Meathead). My rub was nice, it complements the beef without being overpowering. Spicy, but reserved. The baste is there with the soy and worcestershire, but again, subtle. The bark...oh man! The bark is salty, crunchy, flavor packed, but thin enough to easily bite thru. The meat has ample moisture from all the rendering and pulled like perfect brisket. If I were to compare it, I would agree with Mr. Meathead's description of being like brisket point. Incredible!

That's fantastic! Did you notice a big difference between the individual ribs and the plate? Would you recommend doing individual ribs?

That's fantastic! Did you notice a big difference between the individual ribs and the plate? Would you recommend doing individual ribs?

The difference is small. Slightly less moist, but way more bark. Same great, rich flavor. ...and I haven't even had dinner...

20200531_181007.jpg
20200531_173838.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back