Beef Plate Ribs...I found them!!!

Exciting! I am really curious about the cut ribs. Pics are great. That may be the way to go. I'm 5 hours in now. It's looking great. I did use a mixture of 80% hickory and 20% mesquite.

I treat my neighbors to food also. Can't possibly eat the amount of food I cook.

Of the four plates, only one got into the vacuumed sealed bags. I used the large ones, and even made my own. I got 3 in, and 2 poked through. It was a workout getting them in only to waste about 6 bags and exhaust myself. Did the best I could wrapping them and freezing the other 3.

Wine looks nice. Are you drinking already? ;)

Beth,
Yes, on that last question. :cool: I have almost all my prep done. Still thinking about the rub.

On packing up the remaining slabs, my wife keeps 2 and 2 1/2 gal zip lock bags around. I found the 2 gal Ziploc freezer brand bags on Amazon and the 2 1/2 gal Hefty bags are available at Smart & Final. Alton Brown uses a straw to suck the air out before freezing in ziplocks.

Snap a pic for us before you wrap.

Beth,
Yes, on that last question. :cool: I have almost all my prep done. Still thinking about the rub.

On packing up the remaining slabs, my wife keeps 2 and 2 1/2 gal zip lock bags around. I found the 2 gal Ziploc freezer brand bags on Amazon and the 2 1/2 gal Hefty bags are available at Smart & Final. Alton Brown uses a straw to suck the air out before freezing in ziplocks.

Beth,

I have those bags and I wrapped tight in saran and then the big bags. Thanks though.

I'm surprised at how much they pulled up from the bone. Still very big. These measured 11 inches.

Will do on the photo. It's getting to be 5:00 somewhere! I'm thinking it wine time!

It was 5 pm in Greenland a long time ago. ;)

My rub is ready.
Just wrapped. It's like 178-187F. Different areas have different temperatures. Wanted to wait until 190 but I think it's time now. Bark is amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_180710.jpg
    IMG_20200530_180710.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200530_180757.jpg
    IMG_20200530_180757.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200530_180743.jpg
    IMG_20200530_180743.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
Just wrapped. It's like 178-187F. Different areas have different temperatures. Wanted to wait until 190 but I think it's time now. Bark is amazing!

Looks incredible. Remember, poke them for tender, not temperature....

Stay home and enjoy those. The whole place is gone crazy out there.

We ate at 9:00 pm. Took 13 hours. This is quite a delicacy. These ribs are very rich. My husband took a whole one on. He did pretty good. I did change out the pellets to hickory and mesquite (LJ). Neither of us could tell the difference in the flavor of the pellets. Maybe that's something that happens down the road with more experience.

The bark was dark but I spritz about once an hour after the bark looked the right color (about 5 hours in ) and really wasn't worried. I've seen enough photos and videos to know that dark does not necessarily mean burnt. The bark was slightly crisp but tender at the same time if that makes any sense. We were both happy with the prep and rubs. I used hot sauce as the binder but did not notice it in the finished product. We discussed and didn't really feel like there was anything we would do different.

These are quite different than the first plate ribs I made. The first were chuck short ribs (4 bone). Probably 8 inches long. These were 3 bone plate ribs, 11-12 inches long. Very different in look and taste. The others were great. These were in a whole different league.

Worth it? Oh yeah. Unbelievable and worth the work and effort. I'm anxious to see how
Roaniecowpony does with the individual ribs. If they are as good as the plate ribs, I would definitely go there. I would think they would take less time.

Great dinner. We ignored the fries baked in duck fat and the tomatoes I baked (from my garden). But we enjoyed the wine...Napa Silver Oak 2004 with some amazing ribs and another great cooking experience.

Attachments

• Ribs 1.jpg
    Ribs 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 80
  • Ribs 4.jpg
    Ribs 4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
  • Ribs 6.jpg
    Ribs 6.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 86
  • Ribs 2.jpg
    Ribs 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
  • Ribs 5.jpg
    Ribs 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
We ate at 9:00 pm. Took 13 hours. This is quite a delicacy. These ribs are very rich. My husband took a whole one on. He did pretty good. I did change out the pellets to hickory and mesquite (LJ). Neither of us could tell the difference in the flavor of the pellets. Maybe that's something that happens down the road with more experience.

The bark was dark but I spritz about once an hour after the bark looked the right color (about 5 hours in ) and really wasn't worried. I've seen enough photos and videos to know that dark does not necessarily mean burnt. The bark was slightly crisp but tender at the same time if that makes any sense. We were both happy with the prep and rubs. I used hot sauce as the binder but did not notice it in the finished product. We discussed and didn't really feel like there was anything we would do different.

These are quite different than the first plate ribs I made. The first were chuck short ribs (4 bone). Probably 8 inches long. These were 3 bone plate ribs, 11-12 inches long. Very different in look and taste. The others were great. These were in a whole different league.

Worth it? Oh yeah. Unbelievable and worth the work and effort. I'm anxious to see how
Roaniecowpony does with the individual ribs. If they are as good as the plate ribs, I would definitely go there. I would think they would take less time.

Great dinner. We ignored the fries baked in duck fat and the tomatoes I baked (from my garden). But we enjoyed the wine...Napa Silver Oak 2004 with some amazing ribs and another great cooking experience.
Great pics and I love your detailed info on your cooks, I look forward to reading them............Iv'e been looking everywhere in my area here for beef ribs of any kind or cut with no luck for whatever reason. The hunt continues!

When there was no update by 9pm, I thought maybe Beth was in a food coma. :unsure: That looked like some incredible eats. Hope mine come out like yours.

3 am smoke on.... 3:20 am rib plate on.

20200531_031809.jpg

Now, back to sleep ........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pictures took a little while to load, I was scared for a second two.?
@Roaniecowpony, I was definitely in a food coma topped off with wine. They are looking really great! I'm excited to hear how the individual bones go. If they work just as well, that may be the way to go. But I will say, that finished plate of ribs is so impressive to look at. It's equally impressive to actually see how big that naked bone is after the fact.

I was thinking about that cook yesterday. Yes, they are easy once on the grill, but like the mother/grandmother I am, it's not set it and forget it. I'm not peeking but I'm wondering about them all day.

@Infantryman, So happy you like the detail on the cooks I do. That's the chef and Instructor in me. I learn all the time by reading and watching about different experiences with food. So many people have great suggestions which I love to try. There is really no right way or wrong way. Food is personal to all of us.

Beth's results really looked so good, it got me excited enough to wake up at 3 am. LOL.

Coming up on 5 hours for the slab. I basted at 4 hours with a mix of about a cup and half of beef stock, a few tablespoons of Dales Steak Seasoning (soy & spices), and a few tablespoons of Ikari sauce (Japanese worchestershire, but very different than American/English worchestershire).

I also decided it was a good time to wire up the BBQ EKG. I put in my Smoke thermometer 2 probes in the pit to see if it had consistent temperature across the grate. It's looking pretty good.
20200531_074443.jpg
20200531_081711.jpg
20200531_072303.jpg

Good idea with the probes. I debated about using the probes but decided not to because I had not seen anyone use them on video's I watched. But I do think next time I will place two probes in the plate. I noticed that the thicker side was always about 10 degrees higher than the thinner side. It would eliminate the need to keep checking each hour to see if both sides hit 190.

Is the Japanese worchestershire used like a fish sauce (umami taste)?

Beth,
I'm just using the probes to see how fast they're cooking. Of course, my goal was that the slab and bones would finish together late afternoon, early evening. Not having any experience with these, I was really just curious if my estimated stagger on starting them was close. When they get close to finish temp, the probes will just tell me with to start poke testing.

On the sauce, while it is a "fish sauce", like soy sauce, and American/English worchestershire, Ikari sauce has a much different flavor than either of those. It's much more spicy and has a citrus like undertone. I grew up with it and really like it on things more than Lea & Perrins type sauce. It has a similar flavor like the thick, sweet, tonkatsu sauce that you get when you go to a Japanese restaurant and have a breaded, fried, pork or chicken cutlet, but without the sweetness.

Beth,
I'm just using the probes to see how fast they're cooking. Of course, my goal was that the slab and bones would finish together late afternoon, early evening. Not having any experience with these, I was really just curious if my estimated stagger on starting them was close. When they get close to finish temp, the probes will just tell me with to start poke testing.

On the sauce, while it is a "fish sauce", like soy sauce, and American/English worchestershire, Ikari sauce has a much different flavor than either of those. It's much more spicy and has a citrus like undertone. I grew up with it and really like it on things more than Lea & Perrins type sauce. It has a similar flavor like the thick, sweet, tonkatsu sauce that you get when you go to a Japanese restaurant and have a breaded, fried, pork or chicken cutlet, but without the sweetness.
Thanks for that explanation. I've never used it but you can bet I'll be getting some ?. Keeps us up on the cook. Looking good!

@BethV

Being a Chef and Instructor definitely shows alright Beth. I completely agree with you on food being personal with being no absolute right and wrong way. Everyone definitely has suggestions to offer no matter what your experience level is. I love learning new techniques and how other folks cook too. That's a HUGE part of the fun to me! ?

@Roaniecowpony

"BBQ EKG"........that's AWESOME! I love my Smoke Thermometer from Thermoworks, excellent peice of equipment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back