Where to purchase beef plate ribs

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I'm really interested in cooking the beef plate ribs I read so much about. Dino bones. With this self isolation, I am unable to get out to a butcher shop. I am a member of Restaurant Depot. I have heard they have them. But not too sure I want to venture out yet.

For my clarification, I am under the impression that these are called NAMP 123? It gets confusing with the numbers. I know these are 3 ribs each (Rib #'s 6-8). Is there an online meat supplier that anyone has had experience with and would recommend? I'm looking for choice or prime. Not particularly interested in Wagyu after watching some video comparisons.

Thanks for the great help this forum offers!

Best,
Beth

I'm really interested in cooking the beef plate ribs I read so much about. Dino bones. With this self isolation, I am unable to get out to a butcher shop. I am a member of Restaurant Depot. I have heard they have them. But not too sure I want to venture out yet.

For my clarification, I am under the impression that these are called NAMP 123? It gets confusing with the numbers. I know these are 3 ribs each (Rib #'s 6-8). Is there an online meat supplier that anyone has had experience with and would recommend? I'm looking for choice or prime. Not particularly interested in Wagyu after watching some video comparisons.

Thanks for the great help this forum offers!

Best,
Beth
Yes. It’s ribs 6-8. Called -123a plate ribs. You can get them online but crazy expensive. If you have a local butcher, they can usually get them. I connected with our guy and get them whenever I want. I usually pay about $45-55 for the 3 ribs. It’s a lot of meat so it’s serves a small crowd. 3-4 people. Also great leftovers.

Yes. It’s ribs 6-8. Called -123a plate ribs. You can get them online but crazy expensive. If you have a local butcher, they can usually get them. I connected with our guy and get them whenever I want. I usually pay about $45-55 for the 3 ribs. It’s a lot of meat so it’s serves a small crowd. 3-4 people. Also great leftovers.
Thank you for the information. This is probably a really stupid question but do you eat them like a rib or do you cut the meat off and serve?

Thank you for the information. This is probably a really stupid question but do you eat them like a rib or do you cut the meat off and serve?
A good question. They are big. Usually one per person (it’s a lot) we eat with a knife and fork. It will become your favorite. Salt and pepper for a rub. 230 degrees until reaches 203ish. Probe with a wooden skewer to see when tender. Have fun ??

Attachments

• 72B9F789-3851-47C5-87A3-1A8ADAF5AA4C.jpeg
    72B9F789-3851-47C5-87A3-1A8ADAF5AA4C.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 07D9453B-3F6E-469B-86B9-94313C9AB604.jpeg
    07D9453B-3F6E-469B-86B9-94313C9AB604.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 170
  • 3B5BD00D-9CFD-4CED-A62F-F1C8C82EE1EB.jpeg
    3B5BD00D-9CFD-4CED-A62F-F1C8C82EE1EB.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 178
  • AD57D3B9-6170-4E52-AEBE-55B4EA08F963.jpeg
    AD57D3B9-6170-4E52-AEBE-55B4EA08F963.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 385FF1DD-5C9D-4A78-B2BB-4506356571AF.jpeg
    385FF1DD-5C9D-4A78-B2BB-4506356571AF.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 194
A good question. They are big. Usually one per person (it’s a lot) we eat with a knife and fork. It will become your favorite. Salt and pepper for a rub. 230 degrees until reaches 203ish. Probe with a wooden skewer to see when tender. Have fun ??
Those are beautiful! Thanks for the help!! Now to find them ?

Since you said you're a member, you might be able to find them at Restaurant Depot - depends on supply. I've found some there a couple weeks ago (not a member myself). The package I found was 2 racks of 3 bones each (kinda resembled a 2x10 board about 2 feet long). Cooking the whole package would be too much for us, so I opened and vacuum packed the 2 pieces separately.

Go to you local butcher-
[/Q
Since you said you're a member, you might be able to find them at Restaurant Depot - depends on supply. I've found some there a couple weeks ago (not a member myself). The package I found was 2 racks of 3 bones each (kinda resembled a 2x10 board about 2 feet long). Cooking the whole package would be too much for us, so I opened and vacuum packed the 2 pieces separately.
Thank you. As soon as they lift this stay at home order I plan to head out to Restaurant Depot!
UOTE]

Butchers are an essential service ??
Let your fingers do the walking...
These are short ribs so maybe sous vide Q?
or some other meaty options!
https://www.creekstonefarms.com/col.../products/usda-prime-bone-in-chuck-short-ribs
Thanks! I love short ribs and I have a killer recipe for them. But I'm looking for Fred Flintstone's ribs ?!! Unfortunately, in southern California we are still under stay at home orders. So I may have to wait until May 15th when supposedly the orders will be lifted. So I made a bunch of beef jerky today.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_161952.jpg
    IMG_20200429_161952.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 151
If your local butcher is open and you are out of ribs, that my dear is essential. I have a butcher walking distance and there is a line out their door everyday. Also restaurant depot right now is open to all, just ask for a day pass as soon as you walk in the door.

Thanks! I love short ribs and I have a killer recipe for them. But I'm looking for Fred Flintstone's ribs ?!! Unfortunately, in southern California we are still under stay at home orders. So I may have to wait until May 15th when supposedly the orders will be lifted. So I made a bunch of beef jerky today.
Jerky looks great. What is your recipe?

I use an eye of round. I've used top and bottom round in the past as well. But eye of round is the right shape and an extremely lean muscle. However, it's tough so it's perfect for jerky. You will need to trim off any fat cap and silver skin on the outside. There is usually a tiny vein of fat in the eye but it will render off.

Regardless of what type of meat you use, always trim off all of the fat. Any fat that does not completely render will cause the jerky to go bad if it's not refrigerated. Who wants refrigerated jerky?

This recipe is for thin, dry jerky. I will list the recipe for thicker, more tender jerky below.

THIN AND DRY - Smoker is set to LO (180). For this recipe I don't marinate the meat. I slice it thin (1/8"). Then I lay it flat on grates. I make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (to taste) and put in into a shaker. I season the meat liberally with this mixture. Jerky can take a lot of salt so don't be concerned that it is over seasoned. Then I sprinkle crushed red pepper on top of the meat. You will see in the photo of the meat on the grates that the left side is brown. That is because I tossed some of the meat into Teriyaki Sauce (my husband likes the flavor).

It will take 3-4 hours for thin jerky to be done.

THICK AND TENDER - For 5 lbs of meat untrimmed. Slice meat to 1/4 inch. Marinate it 24 overnight or longer.

Marinade
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons of granulated onion powder
2 tablespoons of granulated garlic powder
If you want to have a touch of sweetness to it, add honey to taste

The meat will absorb the marinade. I covered my 590 grates with the mesh cooking mats. Lay the meat on the mats. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (optional). Set grill to 200. Mine cooked for 6 hours. It will get very dark, almost black. It will be tender to the bite but dry, not sticky. The last photo is of this type of thicker jerky.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Jerky 1.jpg
    Jerky 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • Jerky 2.jpg
    Jerky 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 96
  • Jerky 3.jpg
    Jerky 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
Never made them myself, but there's a BBQ joint in Kanasas City called Jack Stack. Their signature dish is called crown prime beef ribs and they are life changing...

1588260066075.png

I use an eye of round. I've used top and bottom round in the past as well. But eye of round is the right shape and an extremely lean muscle. However, it's tough so it's perfect for jerky. You will need to trim off any fat cap and silver skin on the outside. There is usually a tiny vein of fat in the eye but it will render off.

Regardless of what type of meat you use, always trim off all of the fat. Any fat that does not completely render will cause the jerky to go bad if it's not refrigerated. Who wants refrigerated jerky?

This recipe is for thin, dry jerky. I will list the recipe for thicker, more tender jerky below.

THIN AND DRY - Smoker is set to LO (180). For this recipe I don't marinate the meat. I slice it thin (1/8"). Then I lay it flat on grates. I make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (to taste) and put in into a shaker. I season the meat liberally with this mixture. Jerky can take a lot of salt so don't be concerned that it is over seasoned. Then I sprinkle crushed red pepper on top of the meat. You will see in the photo of the meat on the grates that the left side is brown. That is because I tossed some of the meat into Teriyaki Sauce (my husband likes the flavor).

It will take 3-4 hours for thin jerky to be done.

THICK AND TENDER - For 5 lbs of meat untrimmed. Slice meat to 1/4 inch. Marinate it 24 overnight or longer.

Marinade
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons of granulated onion powder
2 tablespoons of granulated garlic powder
If you want to have a touch of sweetness to it, add honey to taste

The meat will absorb the marinade. I covered my 590 grates with the mesh cooking mats. Lay the meat on the mats. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (optional). Set grill to 200. Mine cooked for 6 hours. It will get very dark, almost black. It will be tender to the bite but dry, not sticky. The last photo is of this type of thicker jerky.

Enjoy!
Thanks. I’m going to give it a try.

I get mine at costco. they seem to have piles almost every time I go - except at christmas...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back