Bull Any luck on 2.5 Auger for 2022 with Recteq?

Not bad for the costs.. would be interesting to see the 3 RPM in there
Given the 3 rpm motor is twice the OEM motor speed and 50% more than the 2 rpm, I'd expect a significant decrease in time to 500f. Maybe something like 10-12 minutes to 500f? And peak temp over 600f? What have you seen with yours?

Last edited:
Given the 3 rpm motor is twice the OEM motor speed and 50% more than the 2 rpm, I'd expect a significant decrease in time to 500f. Maybe something like 10-12 minutes to 500f? And peak temp over 600f? What have you seen with yours?

Yeah.. I'll have to do a test and see. It climbs pretty quick likely around that 12 minute time of course ambient temp dependent. I have some charts but was not testing that specifically or timing it so not really sure.

Last edited:
i would like to know if our 3rpm is actually 3? its also possible that a 2-2.5 rpm is the max the firepot can actually burn without cycling on and off the auger. there has to be a point were more rpm is simply more time the auger is commanded to not run. this true 2rpm seems like a great find and it seems much easier to tune the grill to it vs the 3 rpm. some people run 10,15,20 mfr on the 3. also one thing i have noticed is going to be controversial but comparing a grill with a lid seal to an unsealed lid. the unsealed lid definitely heats up faster. i have sealed my lid twice and its pretty apparent to me the seal restricts airflow a bit, but i prefer the lid sealed so its no big deal. but a seal will add maybe 2min to hit 500.

i would like to know if our 3rpm is actually 3? its also possible that a 2-2.5 rpm is the max the firepot can actually burn without cycling on and off the auger. there has to be a point were more rpm is simply more time the auger is commanded to not run. this true 2rpm seems like a great find and it seems much easier to tune the grill to it vs the 3 rpm. some people run 10,15,20 mfr on the 3. also one thing i have noticed is going to be controversial but comparing a grill with a lid seal to an unsealed lid. the unsealed lid definitely heats up faster. i have sealed my lid twice and its pretty apparent to me the seal restricts airflow a bit, but i prefer the lid sealed so its no big deal. but a seal will add maybe 2min to hit 500.

For the record, my lid is sealed and the temp probe port was closed.

I don't use my pellet grill to sear, as I prefer the flavors a very hot charcoal fire delivers for that. If I'm really lazy, I can simply turn on my gas grill. But, I love the flavors of a charcoal fire so much that I'd probably not bother to cook the steak, if I didn't have the energy to start a charcoal fire (with a Harbor Freight weed burner, of course)

I also don't use my pellet grill for pizza, since I have a special pizza oven called a 2Stone, which can hit well over 1000F easily (825-850F stone temperature is the sweet spot for Neapolitan pizza).

The highest I had run my 700 before this test was for a brisket at 400F, per a Harry Soo video. The OEM motor handled it and the brisket came out good, but I don't make a habit of 400F cooking. I'd probably just use that temperature if I got in a pinch where I needed to cook fast. But the 2 rpm motor would only help shave 0 to 400F from 14 minutes down to 10 minutes. Not a big deal.

When running these tests, I was getting a little uncomfortable running it this hard. I noted that the drip tray now has a sag in the middle. I don't know if it was there before or not. It probably was there and I didn't notice it. I see that RecTeq says their 1250 can reach 700F, but I don't feel comfortable running my 700 much over 500F and I was wondering if the door paint was going to blister when I was running the 2 rpm above 500F.

I haven't run any stability tests at the low end of the temperature range. But if it's stable, I'll leave the 2 rpm in there, but I probably won't seek out a 2.5 rpm motor (unless I find one for cheap and just want to do some testing :devilish: ).

My conclusion, at this point, is that anyone that only uses their 700 for cooks below 400F (no pizza or searing), doesn't need to mess with a motor speed increase (I'm in this category). But if you sear or cook pizza on your 700, it might be worth your time/money to get a faster motor.

I get it that some people want/need one grill/bbq that does it all, and pellet grill makers tout that ability. But I read enough of other's experiences that I went into the RT700 for long low smoking only and I have other grills/bbqs that I think do a better job at specific tasks

Here's a better graph of the test data. I was wondering what that blip was around 7 minutes on the OEM motor. Turned out it was a data entry error. My wife cleaned up the chart a bit and made it a bit clearer.

Rectec OEM 1.6 rpm vs 2.0 rpm auger motor.jpg

I just started a LO stability test run with the 2 rpm motor. It's 52 outside. MFR is 30. RecTec Ult Blend pellets. If it's stable, I'll leave it in until we get some hot weather and I'll run this test again.

Last edited:
great find roaniecowpony this seems like a keeper for sure. if i didn’t have a 3 already i would be buying this asap! easy swap? fit in the same location without any mods? just had to drill an extra hole in auger?

Chad,
Yes, it fit in the same space and the shaft does need to be drilled further back than how it's provided. Also, the fan that is provided with this motor is pitched the wrong way. I doubt that a fan is actually necessary, given the intermittent duty cycle. But, if you want a fan, the OEM fan may fit the new motor. I'll look into this later when I make the modification permanent.

I think this motor will be a good mod for those wanting a faster warm up than the OEM motor and a better top temp without much worry of over heating the grill and without affecting the low end as much.

awesome experiment! amazon will be selling these fast i bet!
@chadinsc , I installed and tested this on my 700 a year ago. I'm happy with the results which is why I sold my 3 RPM motor to a forum member.
Drilling the motor shaft is a bit tricky. The motor quality is cheap so I'd suggest keeping your old motor as a spare.
This is the link to motor test in December.

@chadinsc , I installed and tested this on my 700 a year ago. I'm happy with the results which is why I sold my 3 RPM motor to a forum member.
Drilling the motor shaft is a bit tricky. The motor quality is cheap so I'd suggest keeping your old motor as a spare.
This is the link to motor test in December.
Yes, I read this. A bunch of you guys are the trailblazers for the various motor upgrades. I just didn't see any quantitative data on how this 2 rpm motor compares to the OEM motor, which someone could use to help make a decision on. Since I wanted to know for myself, I figured I'd post what I found.

I'm just fartin around. I don't need this for my smoking.

Don't recall.. did anyone actually verify the 3RPM is a true 3RPM? I just stuffed mine in and never gave it a thought.

Don't recall.. did anyone actually verify the 3RPM is a true 3RPM? I just stuffed mine in and never gave it a thought.
I didn't, I only confirmed the 1.6 and 2.0.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back