Bull Any luck on 2.5 Auger for 2022 with Recteq?

No.. regulated to that unfortunately by the controller. Not sure why it couldn't hit 600. Maybe if I gave it more time but things were hot enough for me. I was starting to get nervous the hopper was gonna go up. There was some smoke emanating from it.
That was just the grease about to flash :ROFLMAO:

No.. regulated to that unfortunately by the controller. Not sure why it couldn't hit 600. Maybe if I gave it more time but things were hot enough for me. I was starting to get nervous the hopper was gonna go up. There was some smoke emanating from it.
Yeah, I'm kinda chicken about running way up in the zone above 500F. It also makes all the grease dry out and flake off and requires some attention before a low n slow.

Yeah, I'm kinda chicken about running way up in the zone above 500F. It also makes all the grease dry out and flake off and requires some attention before a low n slow.

Yeah.. after my grease fire, sheets of the dried up grease were falling. I guess that is the "self cleaning" mode :) .. Even with the pizza oven attachment all the heat is truly contained in that. I only run at like 400 - 450 tops to get the stone over 600+.

It just gives me jitters at those temps with a full hopper sitting on top if it.

Yo! Curious if anyone has luck working with Recteq on a motor upgrade for their 700 since they launched the 1250?

Last year I called and emailed back and forth with their customer service as getting to 400 takes 30-40 minutes and it never goes higher than 450’ish. SUPER disappointing when I paid roughly $1500 for THE smoker on the market. I use in the summer to do pizzas as the house is too hot.

Recteq had me take photos of the grill, ports, airflow and also ensure I used hickory pellets. It still takes forever vs. the 1250 2.5 auger setup. 30-40 minutes. Honestly, if I am cooking something and want a sear, A) The food gets cold in 30 minutes and B) it doesn’t sear as riot mode doesn’t get as hot as they claim. Please correct me if I am wrong. I tried doing smash burgers and was so disappointed with the amount of $ I spent.

I’ve read back over the huge post on auger upgrade and know their our 3rd party options. Just seeing if anyone has had luck with Recteq.

Cheers!

*Disclaimer: Yes, I do like the build, quality, low and slow and service, but with this issue I have hit a frustrating wall. I am actually buying a char-Griller 980 charcoal gravity fed smoker as an alternative. That thing cranks to 700 degrees no problem in 10-15 minutes.
Didn't know there was an upgrade for the 700. Why would you want to crank the heat to 700 degrees, anyway? My 700 gets up to 500 with no issues & works perfectly for reverse sear. I just have an issue with getting that strong smoke flavor. I have a wood barrel smoker that works 2fold better for smoke flavor than the 700.

Didn't know there was an upgrade for the 700. Why would you want to crank the heat to 700 degrees, anyway? My 700 gets up to 500 with no issues & works perfectly for reverse sear. I just have an issue with getting that strong smoke flavor. I have a wood barrel smoker that works 2fold better for smoke flavor than the 700.
That’s awesome yours gets to 500 no problems! Mine was taking 40-50 minutes to get to the 400s after plenty of troubleshooting.

The main reason I reached out as the time was taking forever and in the summer with no A/C in the house when it’s hot, I bought the 700 over the 590 so I could get two pizzas on for dinner once a week. After spending over $1400 on a smoker and waiting for dinner a few nights, I started to troubleshoot. I didn’t want to crank up our oven as I had a perfectly good smoker that could do the pizzas. That’s why I looked into this.

I have a 3rpm motor that I am going to put in soon. The only reason I'm doing this is for it to heat up to the 450-500 area faster. My fiance thinks it's to slow when she wants to burgers or steaks. Especially in the winter months in north Iowa. On the app when I look at the feed rate mine says 6.5%. I have never changed it. I see some of you say feed rate of 1.0 or 2.0 and others that say 30. Most cooks are 225-300. Any suggestions on where I should set my feed rate? I am not super picky if the temp swings +/- 5 or 10 degrees. TIA!

I have a 3rpm motor that I am going to put in soon. The only reason I'm doing this is for it to heat up to the 450-500 area faster. My fiance thinks it's to slow when she wants to burgers or steaks. Especially in the winter months in north Iowa. On the app when I look at the feed rate mine says 6.5%. I have never changed it. I see some of you say feed rate of 1.0 or 2.0 and others that say 30. Most cooks are 225-300. Any suggestions on where I should set my feed rate? I am not super picky if the temp swings +/- 5 or 10 degrees. TIA!

I'm one that has it set to 1.0 or 10 ... It does fine in cooler weather and hope in warm weather it will also. I put it in over the cooler months last year. That is the lowest so we'll see. You might experiment for your environment and time of year.

I'm one that has it set to 1.0 or 10 ... It does fine in cooler weather and hope in warm weather it will also. I put it in over the cooler months last year. That is the lowest so we'll see. You might experiment for your environment and time of year.
At 1.0 you are seeing it maintain the low temps the best? I figured I would have to adjust here and there. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding how people were describing the feed rate. Thanks, appreciate the quick answer.

At 1.0 you are seeing it maintain the low temps the best? I figured I would have to adjust here and there. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding how people were describing the feed rate. Thanks, appreciate the quick answer.

Yes.. super solid low temps. Here is a screenshot of a shoulder I did recently. Only blip is when I opened it one time in the AM. I set it there from day 1 never touched it or played with it.

IMG_1609.PNG

That’s awesome yours gets to 500 no problems! Mine was taking 40-50 minutes to get to the 400s after plenty of troubleshooting.

The main reason I reached out as the time was taking forever and in the summer with no A/C in the house when it’s hot, I bought the 700 over the 590 so I could get two pizzas on for dinner once a week. After spending over $1400 on a smoker and waiting for dinner a few nights, I started to troubleshoot. I didn’t want to crank up our oven as I had a perfectly good smoker that could do the pizzas. That’s why I looked into this.

A pellet smoker is not a great pizza oven. Yes, it can cook a pizza. But a home oven works at least as well or better. I think these pellet grill makers advertise that their pellet grill will cook anything. They will, but they compromise on the final product quality. If you want great pizza, temperatures of 600F are needed for true soft NY style, and up to about 850F are needed for the super tender bready Neapolitan style. Some of the guys here have bought an accessory that fits within the pellet smoker and makes for a concentrated use of the heat from the pellet pot. They can get those NY pizza temps and maybe higher, to make great pizza. I haven't gone this way, since I have a dedicated outdoor pizza oven.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back