Bull 3-2-1 Ribs

tjmac06

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did the 3-2-1 method on these ribs at 225 Yellow mustard with a Honey Rib Rub for 3 hours with an apple juice and apple cider vinegar spritz every 30 minutes after the first 90 minutes. Wrapped ribs with Brown sugar, honey and margarine in foil for 2 hours. Took ribs out of foil, put liquid that was in foil and heated it up and let it thicken. Put ribs on at 300 for last hour with a little of the warm apple pie rub and the thickened sauce. Very tasty and fell off the bone.
PXL_20210109_230424119.jpg
PXL_20210109_231035186.jpg

I been loving the 3-2-1. Except having to extra scrape the drip tray with burn on BBQ sauce :/

Many of the foil folks move to scraping, I did. It's pretty easy. I've just been lazy about it since it got cold outside.
Do tell the reasoning...curious to know. I'm new to the pellet (and RT) game...

Do tell the reasoning...curious to know. I'm new to the pellet (and RT) game...
Lots of threads on it here. Short version is many times the foil doesn't allow the grease to drain fully due to bubbles/creases/etc. You can get a hole in the foil or get grease under the foil. You're better off just taking the 30 seconds to scrape it and put it back in again.

And the grease prevents rust too :)

Lots of threads on it here. Short version is many times the foil doesn't allow the grease to drain fully due to bubbles/creases/etc. You can get a hole in the foil or get grease under the foil. You're better off just taking the 30 seconds to scrape it and put it back in again.
Interesting...I've used heavy duty foil to foil my drip tray and never had any of those issues. Now the preventing rust thing that @Chris_G is interesting, I'd hope it won't rust any time soon!

Interesting...I've used heavy duty foil to foil my drip tray and never had any of those issues. Now the preventing rust thing that @Chris_G is interesting, I'd hope it won't rust any time soon!
I foil my drip pan, but.... If you leave the foil on to long with grease the foil will disintegrate. So remove the dirty foil promptly.

I foil my drip pan, but.... If you leave the foil on to long with grease the foil will disintegrate. So remove the dirty foil promptly.
Yeah, I replace my foil every 2 cooks or so, or after a long overnighter (like a pork butt). I do smooth it out to allow for the drippings to run down properly, as I noticed in the first cook I did that grease and drippings wouldn't drain properly unless it was a smooth path sloped down towards the drip bucket.

The drip tray won’t rust since it is is stainless steel. But I find using the foil makes clean up easier. As someone mentioned the foil has to be smooth so the grease will run down.

I been loving the 3-2-1. Except having to extra scrape the drip tray with burn on BBQ sauce :/
Just leave them in the foil wide open when you put them back to finish. Works fine. However, not hard to scrape off the sauce, just messy.

We smoked our Spare Ribs, open for 4.5 hours @ 210
Then raised temp to 275 for 0.5 hour .... spritzing every 15 mins, after the 3 hour mark
After the 5.0 hours, we wrap in foil for 0.5 - 1.0 hour or until Ribs reach 200 - 210 (or they feel fully done)
Then we pull them off and let them rest (still rapped) for 15 - 30 mins or so
Our Spare Ribs and Homemade Purple Slaw.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday's 3-2-1. Salt brine one day in fridge. Yellow mustard and Honey rub. In foil was honey rub, brown sugar, honey, Parkay. 200 degrees the whole time. Glazed with dripping from foil.

Attachments

• 262.JPG
    262.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 257.JPG
    257.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • 220.JPG
    220.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 56

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back