Stampede Warped Deflector Shield: Solution

AFAIK, the new deflector is cast iron, so if the metal fab shop does that, sure they can make them, but most fab shops I know don't typically cast parts. I'm sure they could fab up something from stainless sheet goods with a different design that would not warp, same as other here have modded the stock deflector :unsure:

Yes it looks to be cast, but this is an industrial business and my bud makes for some pretty influential customers, if its made out of metal......they can likely do it. Tig welded aluminum might work too, they also have 2 massive laser cutters and CNC machines, press breaks, forming/bending machines, and usually has plenty of leftover sheet metal that they recycle of varying thicknesses. Let me pick his brain and see what he thinks, may even let him look at my heat shield and see what he can do if anything. :cool:

Yes it looks to be cast, but this is an industrial business and my bud makes for some pretty influential customers, if its made out of metal......they can likely do it. Tig welded aluminum might work too, they also have 2 massive laser cutters and CNC machines, press breaks, forming/bending machines, and usually has plenty of leftover sheet metal that they recycle of varying thicknesses. Let me pick his brain and see what he thinks, may even let him look at my heat shield and see what he can do if anything. :cool:
Aluminum is probably not the best material for this application. The mass of the cast deflector retains heat for less temperature variance during cooking whereas aluminum will not since it cools quickly therefore would have greater temperature swings.

Interested to see what the metal shop comes up with :unsure:

Recteq is totally dropping the ball on this issue.
They KNOW it's a PROBLEM.
Otherwise why did they change it?
Why won't they offer it to owners of the old style, AT COST.
Screw em.
I got the Heavy D Stick Diffuser from Smoke Daddy. It's built like a tank and I use chunks of real wood. Smoke Daddy even includes a couple of splits with it.
I usually use a half dozen small to medium chunks and also pack in some lava rock to assure the wood doesn't just burn up.
My 590 operates like a hybrid Pellet/Stick burner now.
Best of both worlds.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/
Do you have any issues with it running too hot with the additional fuel source? The video on their site shows him propping up the lid to control the heat.

Aluminum is probably not the best material for this application. The mass of the cast deflector retains heat for less temperature variance during cooking whereas aluminum will not since it cools quickly therefore would have greater temperature swings.

Interested to see what the metal shop comes up with :unsure:

I've seen some pretty thick aluminum, don't wanna rule that out yet.......can't imagine much different than the original thin stainless?

I've seen some pretty thick aluminum, don't wanna rule that out yet.......can't imagine much different than the original thin stainless?
With aluminum having a melting point of 1220, and the deflector being directly above the firepot, it may be getting close to melting. I don't know the max temp right above the firepot, but my pizza oven stone gets to 850 with the grill set for 425 so I'd guess temps could get above 1000 over the firepot. Maybe there's a reason I've never seen aluminum used on the interior of grills where the heat is generated :unsure:

Last edited:
Would be of appreciated if mods above would be tested for effects of the added metal (heat sink effect). Do you get delayed heat up and cool down, or when changing temps during a cook. More oscillation of actual temp while cooking etc. A 0.25" plate as shown, ads about 4-5 lbs of weight that has to be heated and cooled, which takes more time to happen. I am in process of trying to get some measure of the differences with and without the mod (mine is bolted --not welded, and 3/16" and smaller=9"square)

I have seen an official RT review of the new 1250 with cast iron diffuser. Also has new dual band WiFi, and a new App update coming. It is on Facebook--so can't be shown here.

My smoker is now at the three mark and the warping is really bad and now starting to affect the drip pan.
In one of the posts someone had a link to a replacement on Amazon that was heavy duty that work with the recteq and other smokers but I can not longer find the link.

Best Greg

My smoker is now at the three mark and the warping is really bad and now starting to affect the drip pan.
In one of the posts someone had a link to a replacement on Amazon that was heavy duty that work with the recteq and other smokers but I can not longer find the link.

Best Greg

Any chance it was the Smoke Daddy with the ability to add wood pieces?

and there were still a few c/o warpage. And SD version is not SS, so it will rust and peel with time.
I talked with RT and they will send a replacement if you send a pic showing the diffuser touching the drip pan (not sure how you can get that shot. But if you show the amount of warpage they should be able to figure it out?

and there were still a few c/o warpage. And SD version is not SS, so it will rust and peel with time.
The SD units will not rust out, at least not in the lifetime of any grill you put them in. I bought this Heavy-D the summer of 2020, so it’s almost two years old. Just took it out for a photo op and it still looks almost new. The discoloration is from the heat, not oxidation. Here’s also a pic of the OEM SS diffuser and it has the same discoloration. The SD is a quality piece of kit.
326C3058-7048-4B38-B000-51778133C559.jpeg
43172DEA-7707-4A3F-B56C-FB9A5CF94A10.jpeg

Last edited:
The SD units will not rust out, at least not in the lifetime of any grill you put them in. I bought this Heavy-D the summer of 2020, so it’s almost two years old. Just took it out for a photo op and it still looks almost new. The discoloration is from the heat, not oxidation. Here’s also a pic of the OEM SS diffuser and it has the same discoloration. The SD is a quality piece of kit.
View attachment 15400View attachment 15401
Thanks for the info. Agree. Looks well built.

Do you have any issues with it running too hot with the additional fuel source? The video on their site shows him propping up the lid to control the heat.
Not when I pack in lava rock with the wood chunks.
I got a bag of lava rock at Ace Hardware for $6.

Not when I pack in lava rock with the wood chunks.
I got a bag of lava rock at Ace Hardware for $6.

Well, mine has not warped yet, however, I did order a Smoke Daddy standard diffuser (10ga) with the notches like the 590 heat diffuser. Works perfectly.

I inquired about it and why it was not offered. No reply as yet.
Mine warped really bad (I grill a lot at high heat). I also inquired about the new cast iron one and was told they just did not have enough extra to sell at this point.
So for now I am a waiting a replacement, hopefully they will get stock up later in the year so I can buy a cast iron one.
Best Greg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back