Warped Deflector Shield

I have the same issue & found that I could correct it by turning it upside down, placing it on a flat concrete surface, then stand on one foot on the middle of it. I did this for a few seconds, checked it, & repeated a total of 5-6 times. You can tell when you're "there" as it won't "twist & pop" from side to side & will lie flat. For reference, I weigh 225 lbs so you can't damage it unless you get really rambunctious.
Additionally, you will have to repeat this process after hot cooks as it will reoccur, though not as badly. I'm currently on my second episode of doing this. I'm hopeful that this "annealing" will eventually temper the metal & it will stay flat in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I'm on my replacement...it warped also..not quite as bad, but still did. I rarely do high heat unless it's a pizza and that's only 400-450° for me.
I always say not to worry about it unless it pushes on the drip pan, causing bad flow etc. But now, I noticed on a high heat cook that I did do, the center of my drip pan warped also. Like the post above you could pop it back in with a foot, but I actually let it sit and cool and I heard it loadly pop back into place.
So I may need to measure it out and make sure it drains properly or make a call myself. Not blaming recteq-just saying things do happen.

I did that 4 or 5 years ago. Probably going to do the same on the Bull here in the next few weeks.

Recommend you use stainless steel bolts, nuts, etc if you do this.

Tack welding it on would be a great option. I just don't have have those tools, so I drilled holes instead. 😃

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back