Stampede Warped Deflector Shield: Solution

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
Like many 590 owners, my deflector warped almost a half an inch out of flat. I had an old deflector mod that I had created for my Blaz'n GS, and had kept when I sold the GS. 10" square by 3/16" thick 304 SS. So I removed the bolt legs and with shorter bolts, I drilled the diffuser and bolted them together. Result: minimal delay heating up and mild delay cooling down when set to 400*, but a great success as the warped was easily flattened and remained flat.
RlYh0UTl.jpg

wAhevNel.jpg

rmfXADzl.jpg

I did this to my 700. I had my shield warp bad. Spoke to recteq. They don’t offer the cast iron one either. They sent me a new regular one so i took the new one and did this mod first thing

How long ago, and how has it held up. Did you get a ticking noise when you cook with it? What kind of steel did you use?

Email today with RT Service. Told them of the warp, and my mod and wondered if it would be better to replace with new deflector. Had an immediate response as follows:
1. The warp is expected and of no consequence as far as cooking results
2. They don't replace them now since the same thing will happen.
3. Suggested I remove the mod and not worry.
4. Did not comment on whether the mod changed the temp responses I listed.

Will test and play with the mod for a while before deciding.

Like many 590 owners, my deflector warped almost a half an inch out of flat. I had an old deflector mod that I had created for my Blaz'n GS, and had kept when I sold the GS. 10" square by 3/16" thick 304 SS. So I removed the bolt legs and with shorter bolts, I drilled the diffuser and bolted them together. Result: minimal delay heating up and mild delay cooling down when set to 400*, but a great success as the warped was easily flattened and remained flat.

rmfXADzl.jpg
I've seen this mod posted by several others without any issues, good job...

Nice mod, my deflector for my 700 warped pretty good and rec Tec sent me another one no questions asked.
If this new one warps I might just mod it.

The one on my 340 is of course warped, has been for a long time. Has anyone had a warped deflector cause an issue?

I inquired about it and why it was not offered. No reply as yet.

Recteq is totally dropping the ball on this issue.
They KNOW it's a PROBLEM.
Otherwise why did they change it?
Why won't they offer it to owners of the old style, AT COST.
Screw em.
I got the Heavy D Stick Diffuser from Smoke Daddy. It's built like a tank and I use chunks of real wood. Smoke Daddy even includes a couple of splits with it.
I usually use a half dozen small to medium chunks and also pack in some lava rock to assure the wood doesn't just burn up.
My 590 operates like a hybrid Pellet/Stick burner now.
Best of both worlds.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Last edited:
I did this to my 700. I had my shield warp bad. Spoke to recteq. They don’t offer the cast iron one either. They sent me a new regular one so i took the new one and did this mod first thing
Same here. Mine (590) warped significantly after just a couple burns and they sent replacement. Haven’t had similar issues since.

Recteq is totally dropping the ball on this issue.
They KNOW it's a PROBLEM.
Otherwise why did they change it?
Why won't they offer it to owners of the old style, AT COST.
Screw em.
I got the Heavy D Stick Diffuser from Smoke Daddy. It's built like a tank and I use chunks of real wood. Smoke Daddy even includes a couple of splits with it.
I usually use a half dozen small to medium chunks and also pack in some lava rock to assure the wood doesn't just burn up.
My 590 operates like a hybrid Pellet/Stick burner now.
Best of both worlds.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/
I looked at the Heavy D at Smoke Daddy's. Glad you like it. Lots of extra metal and the compartments for the wood sticks, obstructs the flow of fire and heat to a more narrow path to right and left. I was afraid that the heat distribution alteration might affect the temps on the grates above. Have you looked into that? However, if you are getting good results then that's what counts.
Meanwhile, my mod is working well also, although takes longer for temp adjustments when they are needed (heat sink effect from the added weight of the SS plate). If that is a problem, I will probably go back to the original naked diffuser. I did have an exchange with a service rep, who stated that they have measured no ill effect or change in function with the warped diffuser unless the warp was severe enough to cause the diffuser to touch the drip tray. I think your idea of offering the new diffuser at cost is a great idea.
I'm still testing and looking!! Let me know if your solution causes any problems. Best to you.

My buddy owns a metal fabrication shop, if someone were to get all the dimensions for the latest heat shield, I am sure he could knock them out quickly for anyone interested?

It's good to be a welder!!!☺️☺️
Piece of .250 304 SST welded to it, and it hasn't warped one bit!!

Attachments

• FA906A68-DDF5-4537-ACA5-BDFDA2ED4B75.jpeg
    FA906A68-DDF5-4537-ACA5-BDFDA2ED4B75.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
  • 7256E12E-37AB-441B-B583-B60F4741E200.jpeg
    7256E12E-37AB-441B-B583-B60F4741E200.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 156
  • 86EA52B7-DFE9-48B8-BE43-CB7C11755DF8.jpeg
    86EA52B7-DFE9-48B8-BE43-CB7C11755DF8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
My buddy owns a metal fabrication shop, if someone were to get all the dimensions for the latest heat shield, I am sure he could knock them out quickly for anyone interested?
AFAIK, the new deflector is cast iron, so if the metal fab shop does that, sure they can make them, but most fab shops I know don't typically cast parts. I'm sure they could fab up something from stainless sheet goods with a different design that would not warp, same as other here have modded the stock deflector :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back