Warped Deflector Shield

My heat deflector has a slight twist too but it doesn't hit the drip pan or effect the grills heat output or cause uneven temperatures that I've seen, the right rear of the grill is slightly hotter and has been this way since new.

My heat deflector has a slight twist too but it doesn't hit the drip pan or effect the grills heat output or cause uneven temperatures that I've seen, the right rear of the grill is slightly hotter and has been this way since new.
Was cleaning my 700 this evening I noticed my deflector is warped. My grill is 3 months old and assume it has the new improved deflector. When my deflector is on a flat surface the one corner is 5/8” or so out of wack. I’ve probably done a dozen or more high temperature cooks and countless long duration cooks.

Like others have said I don’t think my temperatures have been affected. Did RT ever come out with a position on this issue? I read the entire thread and don’t really see a clear cut response from RT.

From reading all this i have too ask, "Where is all the talk about a surperior product, far better than any other." From all i see on the forum recteq is the same, lot of talk and no back up. The guy sent me a new one only after I made a complaint. Told me it did not matter to the temp as long as it did not hit the grease pan. Bull crap, to pay that much after all the hype to find out the flame deflector is 2nd class material. Plus I am having auger issues and am trying to work thru it.

I just received my new 590 and did the initial burn in at 400 degrees for an hour per the instructions. After it cooled down, I checking everything and noticed that my heat deflector had also warped/twisted. At this point, you can get it to rest between the two little tabs at the back of the grill but it barely catches just one at the front.
Called Rec Teq and received the same response as 1woodpencil... It's ok as long as it doesn't push the grease pan up :(

I think I need to give the boy's at RT a call about my shield. Unless it's in there "just right" it's pushing up on the grease pan. Very disappointing
deflector.jpg

@Buckeye smoker .. I just got off the phone with Rec Tec. They have heard of this (warping) happening before, but rare. They said it shouldn't affect the temperature any, UNLESS it continues to warp to where it actually touches the bottom of the drip tray. If it gets to that point, there is a problem and a new deflector shield will be sent out.

I told them I wasn't sure if mine is touching the drip tray or not, but I would check later today and let them know if it is.
My original deflector warped same as yours. Recteq sent me a new one and it’s doing the same thing. Never touched the drip tray, but still unacceptable in my opinion.

Hello. Realize last post on this thread was about 8 months ago, so sorry for bringing up an older thread, however I just joined this forum because I assembled my Rec Tec 700 yesterday, did the burn in. Today I did the first cook, chicken thighs. They thighs were delicious by the way, but after the grill cooled down and I went to clean it, when I got down to the heat deflector I noticed it looked strange. It is warped about an inch, almost touching the drip pan. So here in 2021 and this problem is still going on. I've emailed CS about the issue.

Nice. Glad that it seems to be not affecting the temps for you ! Grill time !
Mine has a little warp. Present since my first Ful cook. Has not changed any that I can tell and is much less than shown above. Will probably last longer than I do.

Hello. Realize last post on this thread was about 8 months ago, so sorry for bringing up an older thread, however I just joined this forum because I assembled my Rec Tec 700 yesterday, did the burn in. Today I did the first cook, chicken thighs. They thighs were delicious by the way, but after the grill cooled down and I went to clean it, when I got down to the heat deflector I noticed it looked strange. It is warped about an inch, almost touching the drip pan. So here in 2021 and this problem is still going on. I've emailed CS about the issue.
Same thing happened to me, both in my RT-340 and my 700. Called CS and they replaced the one for the 340 only because it was touching the drip pan. They said it’s normal to warp a little but not to the point where it touches the drip pan. The new one they sent me also warped.

Sorry to hear that Simarti28. Seems like a common ongoing complaint.

I emailed customer service last night and received a response this morning. The response is, "With the deflector being in such proximity to the live fire in your smoker, warping is to be expected (no matter what gauge/grade stainless we use.) With that being said, I know you mentioned that your deflector is coming close to contacting the drip pan. If it gets to the point that it contacts the pan, we would be happy to send you a replacement! Until then, it will not affect the functionality of your grill or the quality of your cook. I hope that this helps!"

So I guess it is just a wait and see. I'm on my second cook right now (long six hour rib cook). Hopefully it hasn't warped any more or touching the drip pan. I will also say that the highest temp that my grill has been to was the initial 400 burn off. My chicken yesterday was cooked at 300 and the ribs today are at 225. So it's not a matter of the grill getting too hot/intense.

I figured it was a normal trait on all pellet grills.. are there really any out there that don't? Like a signature :).. If it ain't warped you ain't cooking!

Shortly after using my replacement shield, it too warped. However, it's not as bad as the original one had warped and so far, it's fine.

I’m not a metallurgist, but Im guessing it’s an annealing issue. Heating and slowly cooling metal in a very controlled manner relieves internal stresses. It can also cause the metal to warp if the heating/cooling rate varies, plus every piece of metal is unique (thickness, crystalline structure, precision of stamping, etc.). I’m guessing that once it’s annealed you can twist it back into shape and have fewer problems in the future. Starting with a new replacement might expose you to a brand new annealing experience. YMMV.

Good points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back