Time question on baby back ribs

Caps_Shield

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My first smoke I did 225 for 4 hours, spritzing every 30 mins, then finish a bit at 275. Now I want to follow a different path where it says to go 275 for 2-2.5 hours then wrap and back on for 90. The question is 275 the whole time too high? Should I stick to my 225? What say you pit masters?

My first smoke I did 225 for 4 hours, spritzing every 30 mins, then finish a bit at 275. Now I want to follow a different path where it says to go 275 for 2-2.5 hours then wrap and back on for 90. The question is 275 the whole time too high? Should I stick to my 225? What say you pit masters?
250 degrees, all the way!

Here's how we smoke our Pork Ribs:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Pork RibsU-4.5hrs@180+0.5hr@275 - W-1.0hr@2756+/- hours200 - 210GPS&O Blend for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrsWrap in Aluminum Foil after 5 hours rest 15 mins minimum

Comes out like this:
1665516452384.png

1665516531885.png

On our next Pork Rib Cook, we're going to try using Smoked Lard, and rap in Butcher Paper

Here's how we smoke our Pork Ribs:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Pork RibsU-4.5hrs@180+0.5hr@275 - W-1.0hr@2756+/- hours200 - 210GPS&O Blend for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrsWrap in Aluminum Foil after 5 hours rest 15 mins minimum

Comes out like this:
View attachment 17722
View attachment 17723

On our next Pork Rib Cook, we're going to try using Smoked Lard, and rap in Butcher Paper
You been watching Mad Scientist.

For BB, I would just simplify and do it Fast Eddy. 3 lb rack or close to 3 lbs. Brown sugar on both sides the night before, wrap and in fridge. Next day start cook time 4 hrs before planning to eat.
1. Your favorite rub, liberally
2. 275* for whole cook
3. ribs on for 3 hrs, No peek! for 2.5 hrs. then paint them with your favorite sauce. and put them back in for the last 30 minutes or so. Then test with probe and/or bend test. May take up to 3.5 hrs total.
4, If "butter" tender, then remove them, if not leave them on until probe tender
5. Off and rest 15 minutes before cutting.
6. If you use bigger racks, it will take a little longer and you will have big flat bones to deal with. IMO

Last edited:
It is a balancing act between no fat dry, and too much fat meat that is not completely tender. IMO if done to my liking they will be juicy (which really means a little fat) and either pull off or fall off tender. There is no such thing as a precise time or temp for this, as each rack has its own personality. Which also means that I have to be vigilant as the end is approached and adjust accordingly. Probing (tooth pick will do) or bend testing near the end is really the most skillful part of the cook and takes time to perfect. If more than one rack, then it might be two different total times. I am not an expert yet, but trying.
The only variable that can be corrected is the "real" temp you are using. Just because you set temp to 275* does not mean you are actually at 275*. So first thing is to decide what your favorite smoking temp will be and then do some testing to see if that is what you are getting. You can either adjust the "set" temp or the "offset" to get the right range. (a whole 'nuther topic ). If you are getting within +- 10-12* of what you set for, that should be fine, but you will always have to be vigilant when nearing the end of any cook.

You can do 275 and supplement the smoke with a smoke tube, if you like heavier smoke. I'm liking the lighter smoke in my bbq these days. I've done 275F all the way, no wrap and with a wrap. The smoke I got with no wrap was good. Wrapped was a bit lighter than I'd prefer. All good. So much of it is personal preference that one person's perfection might leave another person wanting.

I just did a rack of Baby Back Ribs last weekend using the "3-2-1" at 225 degrees (on the RT-700). They turned out extremely well:
Preheated to 225
Ribs were allowed to warm to room temperature, with membrane removed
3 - Used Recteq Honey Rib Rub (both sides, applied on ribs after covering the ribs with olive oil on both sides - directly on the grate for 3 hours.
2 - Removed the ribs from the grate, covered both sides with brown sugar, honey and six pads of butter, then tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Back in the Recteq for 2 more hours.
1 - Removed the ribs from the foil, covered them with BBQ sauce (Famous Dave's), then back on the grate for one more hour. (reapplied more BBQ sauce at 30 minutes).

Good Luck!

Most folks don't go solely by time or temp but check for being done either with the bend test or checking for desired tenderness with a temp probe.

I just did a rack of Baby Back Ribs last weekend using the "3-2-1" at 225 degrees (on the RT-700). They turned out extremely well:
Preheated to 225
Ribs were allowed to warm to room temperature, with membrane removed
3 - Used Recteq Honey Rib Rub (both sides, applied on ribs after covering the ribs with olive oil on both sides - directly on the grate for 3 hours.
2 - Removed the ribs from the grate, covered both sides with brown sugar, honey and six pads of butter, then tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Back in the Recteq for 2 more hours.
1 - Removed the ribs from the foil, covered them with BBQ sauce (Famous Dave's), then back on the grate for one more hour. (reapplied more BBQ sauce at 30 minutes).

Good Luck!
This is not the method I was going to follow but I have heard so much about it I may try it. I think the only change is I want to spritz a little with apple cider vinegar and will remove the honey. Too sweet for me I think. Other that that sounds great. Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back