Time question on baby back ribs

My first smoke I did 225 for 4 hours, spritzing every 30 mins, then finish a bit at 275. Now I want to follow a different path where it says to go 275 for 2-2.5 hours then wrap and back on for 90. The question is 275 the whole time too high? Should I stick to my 225? What say you pit masters?
My first smoke I did 225 for 4 hours, spritzing every 30 mins, then finish a bit at 275. Now I want to follow a different path where it says to go 275 for 2-2.5 hours then wrap and back on for 90. The question is 275 the whole time too high? Should I stick to my 225? What say you pit masters?
I used the 3 2 1 method. 225 all the way. Some think that's too long as it is fall off the bone tender. Rubbed with Grill Mates Sweet and Smoky Rub. Spritzed each hour during the first 3 hours. Wrapped in foil with butter, brown sugar, more rub for two hours. Last hour with KC masterpiece original BBQ sauce. In my kids opinion they were perfect.

20220918_115056.jpg

20220918_172635.jpg

20220918_182431.jpg

I think I am going to be a forever beginner at this smoking game. And it’s always been fun, even when I have had a problem. I’m sure going to try that DenS method smoking at 180 for several hours. I consider all of my cooks an experiment, but with ribs I’ve been pretty much stuck to variations of 3-2-1 @ 225, shortening times, wrapping or not. So 180 will be an interesting experiment. I wouldn’t say I’ve had a bad cook on ribs, but one or two have ended up fall off the bone, which I do not care for. Kind of like ordering a porterhouse well done.

In my opinion, I find that if you do the 3-2-1 method how it’s written that the 2 part at two hours is too long and makes them fall off the bone too much and you can’t put them back on for the last hour without them falling apart. My next rib cook is going to be more simplified and I’m going the whole cook with no wrap.

I think I am going to be a forever beginner at this smoking game. And it’s always been fun, even when I have had a problem. I’m sure going to try that DenS method smoking at 180 for several hours. I consider all of my cooks an experiment, but with ribs I’ve been pretty much stuck to variations of 3-2-1 @ 225, shortening times, wrapping or not. So 180 will be an interesting experiment. I wouldn’t say I’ve had a bad cook on ribs, but one or two have ended up fall off the bone, which I do not care for. Kind of like ordering a porterhouse well done.
If the meat is falling off the bone, its over cooked. There should be a "pull" when you bite the meat, and should come clean off the bone.

3-2-1 method @ 225 is hard to beat. I actually put them on my bbq grill for less than an hour at the end. Just long enough to crisp them up a bit and get the sauce to set if I decide to put any on. I usually wrap them with butter, honey, and brown sugar sometimes. Usually add some type of liquid (beer or apple juice) as well. I have never had complaints. There are definitely times when they come out better than other times. I have trouble with consistency, but they are always good.

I ended up following a modded version of the 3-2-1. Approximately 2-1-1 since the racks were small and hit temp. Next time it will be 3-1-1. Once again, thank you all for your help. I'm getting better at this and will probably try to venture away from ribs to pork belly burnt ends or pulled pork at some point.

As other said the smoke will be very light at 275. If you don't have a smoke tube you can put wood chips directly on top of the heat deflector. I usually use cherry chips for extra smoke, but any wood chips will work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back