Patio Legend 410 Question about patio 410

jercam88

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Hey guys. Quick question.
Doing ribs on my patio 410.
I’m wanting to keep the temperature at 180 but the grill swings temperature from 150-225 when it’s set for 180. It continues to go hotter and then cool down. I’m one hour in at this point.

I want them started for 3 hours at 180 and then go to 225 for the rest of the time.
What’s up with these big temperature swings ? I’m not opening the lid or anything.
Please let me know if this is ok and typical.
Thanks !!

It’s not typical. Could be the pellets, could be the minimum feed rate, could be a bent RTD probe, maybe a burn pot that needs to be cleaned out. Those temperatures won’t ruin your cook but you may not get to finish this one the way you wanted. Just keep an eye on the ribs.
If you turn the temp up later and the swings stop it’s probably the minimum feed rate. If the swings still happen it’s likely one of the others. A very slim chance is that it is the controller but that’s doubtful.

Thanks for the reply. This is just my second cook on it. I have it set for low (I want 180 degrees). I just went out and checked and it was at 245 degrees. Now it's at 228 and dropping.. on it's way down to the 180 again. When I started the cook the pot just had about 8 pellets in it. I am almost 3 hours in at this point.

What is your minimum feed rate? You can find it in the app.

The manual says..... "
Adjustable Parameter 1: Min Feed Rate - Min Feed Rate is the
minimum rate that the auger is allowed to feed fuel to the fire pot,
regardless of Set Point. Decreasing the value will allow the grill to
achieve lower temperatures but will increase the risk of flame-outs.
Increasing the value will prevent losing fire but will limit your ability
to maintain low temperatures on hot, sunny days. Note: Changing
this does not change the auger speed. The auger speed is constant"

My 700s minimum feed rate is 2.%. 0.0% doesn’t sound right to me. Maybe others with a 410 can let you know their feed rate.

My 700s minimum feed rate is 2.%. 0.0% doesn’t sound right to me. Maybe others with a 410 can let you know their feed rate.
I owned a 410 for a short while, (one of the first shipped).
The Mininum feed rate was at zero. I uninstalled the App and it reinstalled with a minimum of 3.5.
I presumed it was an unannounced correction.?.

I know you didn’t ask this question but are you sure 180F is your target for phase 1 of your cook? If the temps are kept that low, you will not get proper rendering of the intramuscular fat and will be closer to making dehydrated ribs (a.k.a. jerky) than traditional US based ribs. For many of us we will use the super low temps for maximum smoke absorption during the first ~1 hour and move the temps up to at least 225F for a preponderance of the cook. If you are working with piglets where their ribs are smaller and contain lesser density fats, you may be ok (especially if you just freshly slaughtered the piglet, which I encourage). Just my feedback for a question that was never asked. Good luck with your cook.

I know you didn’t ask this question but are you sure 180F is your target for phase 1 of your cook? If the temps are kept that low, you will not get proper rendering of the intramuscular fat and will be closer to making dehydrated ribs (a.k.a. jerky) than traditional US based ribs. For many of us we will use the super low temps for maximum smoke absorption during the first ~1 hour and move the temps up to at least 225F for a preponderance of the cook. If you are working with piglets where their ribs are smaller and contain lesser density fats, you may be ok (especially if you just freshly slaughtered the piglet, which I encourage). Just my feedback for a question that was never asked. Good luck with your cook.
Yeah,,, I looked at some other videos and I think I followed the wrong guy on youtube. Looks like you're right.
I'm not sure I can get my grill to hold the super low temp to start but will try again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back