charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I seen this info in another site and thought it was interesting about storing wood pellets and wanted to pass it along. How do y'all store your pellets?

Storing Wood Pellets the Right Way
  • Pour your wood pellets into multi-gallon plastic containers with lids that seal. Many Pitmasters swear by those huge tubs made for dog food. The container will keep moisture out and lock freshness in.
  • Store your smoker pellets in a dry environment. Every season, consider the driest spot to keep your wood pellets, so they don’t soak up moisture from the air and get squishy. Avoid your damp basement or wet shed.
  • Break a wood pellet in half to test the batch before scooping a bunch into the hopper. If the pellet doesn’t snap, it might not be fresh. Examine a few more pellets to see if they have soaked up too much moisture.
  • Avoid storing your wood pellets in bags or other containers near a heat source. Water heaters, fireplaces, tools and even vehicles can produce enough heat or sparks to set your pellets blazing at the wrong time.
  • Keep any bagged smoker pellets off the floor. It’s amazing how easily water can find its way onto your floor, even in a location you would swear was always dry.
  • Check out the pellets already in your grill before firing it up. If the pellets get wet, they could lose their ability to smoke. Always perform a visual and physical examination of your pellets to make sure they’re as ready to grill as you are.

Last edited:
I usually never put the whole bag of pellets into the hopper, even though the hopper will hold the whole bag. I store the rest of the open bag in one of those huge dog food containers.

I was thinking something like this with a removable or resealable lid would be cool :) Perhaps a 16 or 20 gallon size with and ice scoop.

Edited: I sent RecTec an email with my idea a little while ago, I didn't hear back. I like it. LOL
RecTecPelletDrum.png

Last edited:
i use 5 gallon seat tight buckets from Amazon. Label them. They are absolutely dry. They stack easily. Different color lids. And easy to stow away. For my weber where i use chunks, i use dog food stackable containers. they also claim to be air tight. I don't buy that, but they work just fine since inside.

My wife loves that my garage has six stacked 5 gallon buckets and six stacked dog food containers. Ha. With a weber kettle next to my RecTec… i have been still experiencing a interest in a stick burner. I am sure she will really be happy if i add a log rack for splits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back