Bull Is buying and storing 15) 40lb bags of pellets a bad idea?

We have an Atwoods store in town that carries Lumber Jack pellets for $8.99/20lb bag. Recently had a sale on them for $6.99 a bag. My 700 should be tomorrow or Friday so I stocked up on a few. The Smoke House pellets at $14,95/ 40lb bag from Sam's are tempting. Like a couple of others, I will be storing my pellets in Gamma Vittles Vaults air tight pet food containers.

Last edited:
I use the Recteq bled exclusively. No real reason except I got four bags when I got the grill and it's so easy to just order a bag at a time when I need them from Amazon. They work well and I figure that if I ever have a grill problem related to pellets, Recteq can't fault me for using their own brand!

I would not recommend Pit Boss Pellets, you will be much happier with LJ or Cookin.

I agee, that is pretty good for LJ. Being in Southern CA with no access to Rural King, I can't go below about $15 a bag. I've been happy with results, so I pay it.

I'm up in Torrance. Just wondering where you're buying LJ. I've had to drive up to BBQ HQ in Simi Valley for LJ.

Dick Sporting Goods carries them. I have one in HB. They have some stock in store. Often I am able to hit free online shipping. LJ does not list Dicks on their vendor list. Not sure why.

I buy the 40lb "Championship Blend" bag from Academy Sports for $14.99. Been through 4 or 5 bags now, very low ash, decent smoke, not overpowering. Would recommend for most things. I also keep my pellets in a plastic container made for road salt. It keeps the out of the open air and off the floor.

I have not been happy with them, I have found little chunks of wood in them and lots of dust.
I Will not use them again.
Not good, thanks for the response.

Im wondering if anyone has stored pellets in one of those plastic sheds? You know those cheap ones that are not temp controlled? My husband has every inch of the garage utilized and I recently purchased the bull and would like to purchase pellets in bulk but need to find space! We have one of those cheap rubbermaid plastic sheds I could use but I worry about the humidity ( as mentioned above) in the summer. I dont think the cold winter temps will hurt the pellets much... thoughts?
I store pellets in the bags in a large lidded Craftsman tote which is inside a large Ketter hinged-lid deck box that is shielded from the elements. No issues. I would think storing in similar totes in a plastic shed would work fine.

I usually use Cookin' Pellets. For a single 40lb bag it is about $44. I see on the Cookin' Pellets website they have a 15 bag deal which comes to about $25 per 40lb bag. It's nice to save money, but I'm worried about by the time I get to using them if some of them would be ruined from humidity. I usually smoke on the weekends. What do you guys think? What does everyone else do instead of paying $44 a bag?
I store my pellets in my basement since it's cooler and the temps are even with very little humidity, that being said I had the same concern as you and I've had a dozen bags in my basement over two years now and no issues what-so-ever.

My local Rural King stopped carrying LJ and now carry their own brand. I was really happy with LJ and at &8.99 a bag it was a bargain. Now I'm looking for a new brand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back