Storing pellets

I'm guessing for all the pellet dust?

I put mine in a 5 gal bucket from Ace Hardware or just leave them in their bag but off the floor. Works for me.

Dust burns no? I have seen comments like this before but looking for a real reason or what issues someone had. I can only think if there were problems it was not the dust but maybe moisture or other handling reasons. Not dust in its dry natural form. I make sure I dump that stuff in the hopper.. why waste it.

I thought he was trying to sift out the dust towards the end of bucket, no?

I thought he was trying to sift out the dust towards the end of bucket, no?

For what reason is the question. I don't get it.. seriously asking. I would not waste my time trying to get dust out of pellets that create dust and burn just like pellets. Never had any build up or issues with dust ever.

For me, it's an anal thing...which sounds really weird now that I'm typing it. 😂 But, seriously, I'd rather throw in pellets sans as must dust as possible.

For me, it's an anal thing...which sounds really weird now that I'm typing it. 😂 But, seriously, I'd rather throw in pellets sans as must dust as possible.

Hey.. gotta do what ya gotta do 😂 .. way too much work for me when I don't see the benefit but my ears & eyes are open 😁.

Hey.. gotta do what ya gotta do 😂 .. way too much work for me when I don't see the benefit but my ears & eyes are open 😁
Dust burns no? I have seen comments like this before but looking for a real reason or what issues someone had. I can only think if there were problems it was not the dust but maybe moisture or other handling reasons. Not dust in its dry natural form. I make sure I dump that stuff in the hopper.. why waste it.
I do no one reason is for back burn. I used pit boss pellets for a while and they had so much dust and the pellets were breaking down in the auger. Twice I was going from 375 to 250 and smoke started coming from the hopper. After talking with Rec Tec they explained how this could happen. Next day I went out and cleaned everything out and started using their brand and lumberjack and hasn’t been an issue anymore. Others have said that dust can cause the auger to jam. I don’t no anything with that but I do no I won’t use cheap pellets again.

Hey.. gotta do what ya gotta do 😂 .. way too much work for me when I don't see the benefit but my ears & eyes are open 😁.

Not really, took 15 minutes to make, pour the pellets in the sifter, gently shake in the yard then pour into storage buckets. Sifting process may add 2 minutes to bucket transfers

I've read of folks sifting out the dust before, I figure sifting it out can't hurt although I don't do it. One person used one of the 5 gallon bucket grit guards for washing cars which sounds pretty simple.

Grit_Guard.jpg

+1 on water-tight, air-tight(?), plastic buckets with "O" ring and screw-on lid. Easy to label and much easier loading the hopper than lifting a 40-pound bag.

Attachments

• SeaJayR - BBQ area - 1 - BFG and Pellets.jpg
    SeaJayR - BBQ area - 1 - BFG and Pellets.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 87
When I first bought my RT-700 I had read somewhere where using a colander to filter the dust out of pellets was advisable. I tried it, lasted one scoop and I decided if I needed to go through that to use a pellet grill, then a pellet grill was not for me!

@Bbqallday80 I have a few of these and they work great. Easy to fill and easy to pour from. I leave mine outside year round in the Midwest, keeps all of the elements out. The price on Amazon has gone up substantially but if you shop around they usually got for $8 ea. Probably not food grade, but I’m sure the bags pellets are sold in aren’t either.

Buddeez 03701B Original Kingsford... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQE1QT2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Attachments

• 5F1189DF-4680-4A41-AD1E-FA281E034475.jpeg
    5F1189DF-4680-4A41-AD1E-FA281E034475.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 71

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back