Bull Is buying and storing 15) 40lb bags of pellets a bad idea?

I just ordered the following pellets from Dicks, 20 percent off and free shipping.

Lumber Jack Supreme Blend Pellets

Lumber Jack Competition Blend Pellets

Lumber Jack Pecan Blend Pellets

Lumber Jack Mesquite Blend Pellets

Lumber Jack Oak Pellets

Best Greg

Im wondering if anyone has stored pellets in one of those plastic sheds? You know those cheap ones that are not temp controlled? My husband has every inch of the garage utilized and I recently purchased the bull and would like to purchase pellets in bulk but need to find space! We have one of those cheap rubbermaid plastic sheds I could use but I worry about the humidity ( as mentioned above) in the summer. I dont think the cold winter temps will hurt the pellets much... thoughts?

Plastic shed coupled with 5 gallon buckets with air tight lids probably would do it for you. They have moisture/air tight lids on amazon. that is where i got mine. they are different than the HD/Lowes ones as they have a gasket/seal. I have once or twice left a bucket outside by the smoker with no issue. In fact, in the middle of this covid fun when i was smoking 4-5 days a week i made something in a driving rain. I needed to add pellets and did so and put my lid on and got distracted. I came out and my pellet 5 gallon bucket had been pelted with rain for hours (with lid on). Brought it in the garage and opened it... they were completely dry. Not wet, not mushy, didn't break up.

Plastic shed coupled with 5 gallon buckets with air tight lids probably would do it for you. They have moisture/air tight lids on amazon. that is where i got mine. they are different than the HD/Lowes ones as they have a gasket/seal. I have once or twice left a bucket outside by the smoker with no issue. In fact, in the middle of this covid fun when i was smoking 4-5 days a week i made something in a driving rain. I needed to add pellets and did so and put my lid on and got distracted. I came out and my pellet 5 gallon bucket had been pelted with rain for hours (with lid on). Brought it in the garage and opened it... they were completely dry. Not wet, not mushy, didn't break up.
Thanks! I appreciate the help a lot! Ill give it a try. ???

I saw Lowes had the kingsford for $14.99 for 20 lbs, but could not get Lowes on phone if they had them in stock. Well I gooogled, and found a sale at my local Publix grocery store for $12.99. I went there to get them, they had 4 bags of Hickory and 4 bags of Cherry (Kingsford) $10.99 a bag for 20lb. And they have a gift card coupon if you buy over $50, you get $10 off a $50 gasoline gift card. No, I dont use gas to light the pellets LOL, but I like to save where I can. I just bought those yesterday 02/04 and they probably will be on sale at local store until next Tuesday. But I thought $11 for 20lb was decent price for Kingsford. And I saw a few recent ReqTeq videos lately promoting Kingsford.

One reason I bought ReqTeq is it is USA made. I am in GA as ReqTeq is. But on one video I saw them cooking etc, and they said get you a good beer such as Corona or Dos Equis. I think there are some great US beers especially micro breweries in GA also. Come on ReqTeq...promote US beer :) But I understand we all have preferences

Anyway, wanted to let all know about Pellets at your Publix store....never thought to look there. .

Ok I see now the Delivered price is $12.19, but at store they are $10.99
1612538249316.png

Great information guys. Thanks. I wish there was a Rural King around here. There are not many ootions to get them cheap. Im in Long Island, NY. Lowes has Pit Boss 40lb bags for $15. But it says 100% natural wood competition blend. Im not sure if Pit Boss is legit. Anyone?
Yes they are indeed Legit !

Great information guys. Thanks. I wish there was a Rural King around here. There are not many ootions to get them cheap. Im in Long Island, NY. Lowes has Pit Boss 40lb bags for $15. But it says 100% natural wood competition blend. Im not sure if Pit Boss is legit. Anyone?

Their pro series grills suck! But their competition blend pellets are pretty consistent and I personally like them better than Kingsfords signature blend. The price point and availability is also a plus.

I picked up a 40lb bag of Smokehouse Blend pellets at Sam's Club today for 14.95. I've never used them before but have not seen anything negative about them so I'll give them a try. The label says they are 100% hardwood (hickory, oak, maple and cherry) with no additives, chemicals or binders. I usually use Lumber Jack pellets from Rural King but its about 50 miles away so I usually stock up when I'm in the area. I store them in sealed plastic buckets because we can have high humidity in FL.

I picked up a 40lb bag of Smokehouse Blend pellets at Sam's Club today for 14.95. I've never used them before but have not seen anything negative about them so I'll give them a try. The label says they are 100% hardwood (hickory, oak, maple and cherry) with no additives, chemicals or binders. I usually use Lumber Jack pellets from Rural King but its about 50 miles away so I usually stock up when I'm in the area. I store them in sealed plastic buckets because we can have high humidity in FL.
I have a few RT friends that like them and have used them for years. I have a bag and will try it next.

I used them with no issues

I am thinking about ordering bulk pellets from Cooking Pellets dot com. I have friends here that have smokers and we will slit the cost and divvy them up. This way they are cheaper and we can get all the varieties.

I believe they are 100% made and assembled in China. We saw nothing during our facility tour at Academy to indicate anything is assembled at recteq.

Cool.. that makes sense. I'm sure they want it all boxed and ready to go when they get them in.

I am thinking about ordering bulk pellets from Cooking Pellets dot com. I have friends here that have smokers and we will slit the cost and divvy them up. This way they are cheaper and we can get all the varieties.
That's a great idea. Just make sure the bags don't get holes in them and the pellets will be good for a very long time. I got a bunch of pellets from CP two years ago and they are still as good as the day I opened the first bag.

Go to the Lumber Jack web site and the will list all of their dealers in your area... also they will ship.... good luck....

As of yet I haven't found any, that's why I buy the cheap locally found Pit Boss pellets for under $15 for 40 pounds. My cooks flavor comes from the marinating, rubs and sauces I use.
Don't feel bad I'm in the same boat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back