Storage pellet removal & auger jam prevention

KSM

I wont be using my pellet smoker for about 6 weeks. I have removed all the pellets from the hopper and burn pot by vacuuming as much as possible knowing that there are a some unused pellets still left inside the auger tube that the vacuum just cant suck out. My smoker is stored outside but under my patio roof and I keep the cover on it when not in use. Its the beginning of colder, damp months here. I was wondering if I have done enough to protect from pellet expansion that can lead to an auger jam or should I remove the cover and turn on the smoker and burn out whatever amount of pellets are left in the auger tube that I could not vacuum out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If desired, you can run the auger in test mode to push the rest into the fire pot and vacuum out.
Thank you - This was very helpful. Being a new to the Recteq world I did not remember this option.

if you can’t get a vacuum to suck it out, you can always use a compressor and blow it out if you want to be perfectly clean of pellets. Just a suggestion.

If desired, you can run the auger in test mode to push the rest into the fire pot and vacuum out.
…and/or this…

if you can’t get a vacuum to suck it out, you can always use a compressor and blow it out if you want to be perfectly clean of pellets.

Either works well. The air compressor is a bit quicker but the auger test mode is a bit more reassuring since you can’t see inside the tube.

If you run it at a given setpoint after removing what you can get out of the hopper until it starts to drop temperature (e.g. by 50F) its pretty-much completely empty down the tube.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back