Pellet storage bin

Hmmm. If you will be using this container on a very smooth surface, it might be OK. Pushing 50# around on the relatively small casters won’t be easy unless it is on a very smooth surface. And, it doesn’t look like it has any lifting handles to get it over small obstructions, not that I would want to be lifting 50# anyway.

I like the weatherproof feature (if that is actually true), but otherwise, I don’t think I would buy one. YMMV

We use a large "Pet Food Vault"
Holds just shy of 100 lbs of Pellets
https://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vaul...5&sprefix=100+lbpet+food+vault,aps,155&sr=8-1

1686951131722.png

Reactions: NBK
I've had great luck with these 5-gallon food grade buckets. I use two of them for the purpose as they hold a 40lb bag of Kirkland pellets between them. Get as many as you need of course.

Bucket and lid will set you back around $10.56 plus tax.

Bucket:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-5-Gallon-General-Bucket/1000421377

Lid (these provide a seal):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-12-41-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/1000458801

I use the 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon variety of the food grade buckets and lids for various things related to grilling and smoking.

I've had great luck with these 5-gallon food grade buckets. I use two of them for the purpose as they hold a 40lb bag of Kirkland pellets between them. Get as many as you need of course.

Bucket and lid will set you back around $10.56 plus tax.

Bucket:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-5-Gallon-General-Bucket/1000421377

Lid (these provide a seal):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-12-41-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/1000458801

I use the 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon variety of the food grade buckets and lids for various things related to grilling and smoking.
Serious question — do we really need food grade buckets for dry pellets? I have just been using the regular Home Depot and Lowe’s buckets.

Serious question — do we really need food grade buckets for dry pellets? I have just been using the regular Home Depot and Lowe’s buckets.
Lowe’s blue bucket is $5, the food grade buckets they sell are $8. I’m happy spending a little more and not thinking about it again.

No need to use the more expensive food grade buckets since pellets are not food and you are burning them, not eating them (at least I don't). I have been using the regular HD buckets with the lids that screw on for 15+ years.

Last edited:
No need to use the more expensive food grade buckets since pellets are not food and you are burning them, not eating them (at least I don't). I have been using the regular HD buckets with the lids that screw on for 15+ years.
Now, there’s probably very little chance that non-food-grade plastic buckets would outgas enough toxic stuff to contaminate the pellets, but for $3, why take the chance?

Food is indirectly contacted by the pellets as a result of their smoke from burning (incomplete burning, I might add) and that’s why we should be using cooking-grade pellets instead of heating-grade pellets in our grills. I would think the same principle would apply to the storage containers for our cooking pellets. YMMV

Yep my storage area is orange bucket heaven. I always thought the price difference was more than $3. Looks like I was incorrect. Too late now for me.

It’s pretty easy to identify in this discussion those of us who are cancer survivors, and those who are not (yet). Why risk it for $3 a bucket? I thought after 40 years of smoking I was safe. Whoops, then I wasn’t. Makes the potential consequences of 15 years using a non-food safe bucket to save $3 look like nothing.

They even say eating char-grill proteins causes cancel.

Sooo...I guess when I do kick the bucket, it won't matter if it's food grade or not.
Your choice for sure… Is $3 that important to your health? My gosh this is not rocket science, why would anyone let $3 stand in the way of a potential health hazard?

Your choice for sure… Is $3 that important to your health? My gosh this is not rocket science, why would anyone let $3 stand in the way of a potential health hazard?
I question why you even think it is a health hazard. There is no proof of any outgassing affecting the pellets, that is a real streach. Both sides have been discussed, just let everyone buy what they want.

I question why you even think it is a health hazard…
I question why it may be a health hazard because they make food safe containers for a reason. You want to say ‘I don’t eat the pellets, so what is the harm? After all, I’ve been doing this for 15 years.’ You do you, but that’s not empirical evidence that there is no risk involved. Why risk it, and better still, why tell others that it’s a non-issue when we are only talking about a $3 difference per bucket? 🧐

Deep breath time, folks! No one likes to see people suffer from potential health issues, but there's also a time to let folks make their own choices and deal with any potential consequences. Let's put this one to bed and move on. 🤝

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back