Show us what you're cooking...

Thanks, @Greg Jones for the clarification. I had wondered about the actual location of the ambient sensor. I just looked at one of Chris' videos where he was reviewing an air fryer and there was a segment about using the CIPT. It had a diagram of the probe with 8 sensors marked and one appeared to be in the yellow ceramic head, but I didn't know if that was just a graphic and how accurate it might be. Now I know and can insert the probe all the way while still getting the ambient temp reading.

That's what I love about this forum; there are a bunch of folks here that have a vast amount of experience and are willing to share it. Thanks again.

So I did these pork short ribs on the 380x. Never had them before, wow what a flavor bomb. I could eat St Louis ribs every day but these guys are amazing. Took them to 200 degrees.

Did something different I never do and rubbed the day before and set in the fridge. Got a great tasting bark. Does anyone do that with their full racks?

Simple mustard binder with Chupacabra Chop Haus and Honey rib rub.

IMG_9924.jpeg

IMG_9925.jpeg

Serious question, because I don’t believe I’ve heard of pork short ribs before. Where are they cut from?

And yes, I’ve done the day before rub once with ribs. Actually by accident instead of on purpose because complications would have made them more of a midnight snack than the dinner meal. I really didn’t notice a difference. BR from Chud’s BBQ just released a YouTube video where he did a 1-day wet brine on BB ribs and he loved them. I’d expect the wet vs dry would be similar?

So I did these pork short ribs on the 380x. Never had them before, wow what a flavor bomb. I could eat St Louis ribs every day but these guys are amazing. Took them to 200 degrees.

Did something different I never do and rubbed the day before and set in the fridge. Got a great tasting bark. Does anyone do that with their full racks?

Simple mustard binder with Chupacabra Chop Haus and Honey rib rub.

View attachment 20793

View attachment 20794
Nice.

Serious question, because I don’t believe I’ve heard of pork short ribs before. Where are they cut from?

And yes, I’ve done the day before rub once with ribs. Actually by accident instead of on purpose because complications would have made them more of a midnight snack than the dinner meal. I really didn’t notice a difference. BR from Chud’s BBQ just released a YouTube video where he did a 1-day wet brine on BB ribs and he loved them. I’d expect the wet vs dry would be similar?
Watched the rest of the Kenji video-a lot of great info here, even on the CPT that we’ve discussed here. Absolutely nothing cooked outside, but still a MasterClass on what he did cook. BTW, that’s the Breville Joule oven I own and I bought mine before Kenji got one, so don’t call me a fanboiI for owning one. Really great video overall, and y’all know how to apply it to grilling cooking.

You’re not the only one bud, I had to look and search to find out what they were all about before I bought them. It’s the continuation of the baby back that goes up into the shoulder super meaty and some layers of fat throughout. I don’t think it’s anything I could find local I’ve tried. Definitely something different.

Last edited:
Picked up a choice grade prime rib this afternoon to make cheap rib steaks out of. Used a digital coupon to get it for $5.97 per lb. plus a second digital coupon for $10 off a purchase of $75 (based on original price). The roast was 10.25 lbs and ended up paying $51. Not bad. Took the bones odd (smoked rib lunch tomorrow) then sliced up 6 nice steaks plus a wonky end piece that’ll make a great steak sandwich. For those who don’t even look at choice you may want to rethink that.
Cooked the first one for dinner tonight.
IMG_6440.jpeg
IMG_6441.jpeg
IMG_6442.jpeg

Picked up a choice grade prime rib this afternoon to make cheap rib steaks out of. Used a digital coupon to get it for $5.97 per lb. plus a second digital coupon for $10 off a purchase of $75 (based on original price). The roast was 10.25 lbs and ended up paying $51. Not bad. Took the bones odd (smoked rib lunch tomorrow) then sliced up 6 nice steaks plus a wonky end piece that’ll make a great steak sandwich. For those who don’t even look at choice you may want to rethink that.
View attachment 20845View attachment 20846View attachment 20847
That looks delicious. What a great bargain. Did you fill your freezer?

This is the second one we cut for steaks. We love Prime Rib too so I get a big one and cut it up into different size roasts to cook throughout the year. We’ve had really good Choice meat around here this year.

View attachment 20845View attachment 20846View attachment 20847
That is a really nice looking choice cut. The choice I picked up on sale at Publix a couple weeks back doesn’t look nearly that good. I ended up picking up a prime at Costco for Christmas. But, it wasn’t cheap.

Smoked a brisket for Christmas. 13lb Costco Prime Wagyu brisket seasoned with Zavala's beef rub, my mixture of coarse black pepper and kosher salt and a heavy dusting of meat church holy cow

20231225_153238.jpg

This is my best tasting brisket to date, came out perfect. I had my doubts about this one due to my still learning selection and trimming skills and 2 previous briskets that were less than perfect however those were Market Street choices. Maybe prime makes that much more of a difference.

Started last night at midnight, wrapped (paper) it at 160° flat /164° point about 5:30am and took it off around 2PM today; 14 hour smoke. It had been at 202°/205° since noon but I wanted to see what a couple extra hours would do.

20231225_153245.jpg

20231225_154215.jpg

Vac packed some trimmings for stuffed jalapenos next week
20231225_155941.jpg

It came out outstanding and I have my seasoning combo locked in now

It came out outstanding and I have my seasoning combo locked in now
Mind sharing what Wagyu at Costco costs per pound in your part of the world? Can’t say I’ve ever seen it there myself, but then I’m usually only meat shopping for pork products at Costco.

Mind sharing what Wagyu at Costco costs per pound in your part of the world? Can’t say I’ve ever seen it there myself, but then I’m usually only meat shopping for pork products at Costco.

It was $4.99 lb. Reg Prime was $3.99lb
Bought one of each

v3b3qll4v0941.jpg

Not my pic but here's what you're looking for. I don't see them there all the time but I do see them about every other month and after about a week, they mark them down to $4.99 but even $5.99 it seems like a good buy. The ones here are also prime, not just brisket whole

Last edited:
Seven pound Prime for dinner yesterday. I took a pic after coming off the smoker but none after that (I always forget pic taking). Was a nice less done medium rare and cut like butter.
The boss never wants it seared.

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

This is the second one we cut for steaks. We love Prime Rib too so I get a big one and cut it up into different size roasts to cook throughout the year. We’ve had really good Choice meat around here this year.
Honestly the 2 best ones I got this year were Angus choice. Prime was tough lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back