Show us what you're cooking...

Pulled pork, Italian green beans and Wickles Pickles.

pulled pork 1.jpg
pulled pork 2.jpg
pulled pork 3.jpg

That looks great, I’m going to have to try wrapping my next meteorite, mine come out looking a lot drier then that one. Do you trim off the fat cap?

That looks great, I’m going to have to try wrapping my next meteorite, mine come out looking a lot drier then that one. Do you trim off the fat cap?

I NEVER wrap my pork shoulders, and they are always extremely juicy. I also don't do any trimming, any excess fat is easily discarded during the meat pull. Other than spritzing with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water every few hours, it's pretty much hands off until the meat hits temp......and a nice long rest "that's the only time I wrap". :)

Last edited:

I don't trim fat cap and do wrap when it hits the stall or 160, which ever comes first. This one went about 5.5 hours to 160 internal with a grill temp of 220, then I wrapped it in foil and bumped the temp up to 275 and it went for another 1.5 hours until it hit internal temp of 197 when I FTCed it for another hour and carryover brought it up to 203. One of the most moist, tender pulled porks I have ever done. Would have rested it longer but was ready to eat!

I NEVER wrap my pork shoulders, and they are always extremely juicy. I also don't do any trimming, any excess fat is easily discarded during the meat pull. Other than spritzing with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water every few hours, it's pretty much hands off until the meat hits temp......and a nice long rest "that's the only time I wrap". :)

I do wrap and don't spritz or look. I put it on, close the lid, open lid once to take it out to wrap, open lid again to put it back in then once again open lid to take it back out after the wrap.

I do wrap and don't spritz or look. I put it on, close the lid, open lid once to take it out to wrap, open lid again to put it back in then once again open lid to take it back out after the wrap.
I only wrap when I do Hot and Fast. This happens when I am not paying attention and my wife (who happens to be great at selecting proteins) tells me she picked up a shoulder or Picnic and I fail to look at it the night before. I get up and OMG a 14 plus pound piece of meat due by 4:30 PM. Then the hot and fast method which requires wrapping. It works exceptionally well but the initial 😱 effect is a shock.

After eating relatively “meh” food in France and Switzerland over the last couple of weeks I couldn’t wait to get home. Unfortunately, my patience wore thin and I threw together a quick meal yesterday (Friday) for fun. By the way, don’t hate me for using the gasser, the rotisserie was begging for some attention. FYI, a properly place smoke tube on a gasser can have a powerful effect on shorter cook proteins such as chicken.

IMG_1529 Small.jpeg

IMG_1527 Small.jpeg

IMG_1524 Small.jpeg

IMG_1513 Small.jpeg

Can't show because I already ate it, but made some damn good pork tenderloins for dinner. Smoked at 225 until hit 145 internal, they were dried off and then a light covering of avocado oil and some Famous Daves rib rub, then dipped in some of the most excellent Lillie's gold BBQ sauce after the rest. These were tenderloins I vacuumed sealed 2 years ago, they most certainly didn't suck. :)

Well, apparently Easter dinner didn’t happen at our house because I don’t have any photos. ;)

I did put two 6# boneless legs-of-lamb on the gas grill rotisserie, seasoned with minced fresh Garlic, Rosemary and Thyme plus black pepper and sea salt. Pulled them at 136F and put them in the insulated cooler for their rest.

Then, things went a little south. In a moment of inattention, I managed to get up-close-and-personal with the concrete patio. No major damage done—to either me or the patio—but it threw things off a bit.

We had a retired Army medic/nurse (my daughter) and a current police officer (my grandson) in the house to get me patched up while my other grandson (a meat cutter by trade) carved up the lamb. It turned out perfectly!

In the ensuing confusion, however, no photos got taken. Oops. Next year!

Last edited:
Well, apparently Easter dinner didn’t happen at our house because I don’t have any photos. ;)

I did put two 6# boneless legs-of-lamb on the gas grill rotisserie, seasoned with minced fresh Garlic, Rosemary and Thyme plus black pepper and sea salt. Pulled them at 136F and put them in the insulated cooler for their rest.

Then, things went a little south. In a moment of inattention, I managed to get up-close-and-personal with the concrete patio. No major damage done—to either me or the patio—but it threw things off a bit.

We had a retired Army medic/nurse (my daughter) and a current police officer (my grandson) in the house to get me patched up while my other grandson (a meat curtter by trade) carved up the lamb. It turned out perfectly!

Glad you are OK. Good to have first responders already at the scene. I am gonna pretend there are photos and it actually happened and say what I am sure I would have said anyway...looks great!

We had a retired Army medic/nurse (my daughter) and a current police officer (my grandson) in the house to get me patched up while my other grandson (a meat cutter by trade) carved up the lamb. It turned out perfectly!

Elder gymnastics is easy to do but difficult to do well. I’m glad you were able to be patched up and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
My son is a fire captain and is currently at the station that services out neighborhood. I told him to make sure every shift knows where his parents live! It’s nice to get a little ROI.

Elder gymnastics is easy to do but difficult to do well. I’m glad you were able to be patched up and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
My son is a fire captain and is currently at the station that services out neighborhood. I told him to make sure every shift knows where his parents live! It’s nice to get a little ROI.
It was a “forward 3/8’s with a half twist.” 🤣 Not quite Olympic caliber!

It was a “forward 3/8’s with a half twist.” 🤣 Not quite Olympic caliber!
So sorry to hear it. Glad you are ok. I recently did a 1/4 back flip off the upper patio (two steps) onto the pool deck with blower in hand. I was not hurt but a little sore and my first thought was why did I turn my back to the step? I thought of Forrest at that moment🤣 Take care of yourself the ground is not our friend.

Jim

Jim6820,
Glad to hear you are ok and you didn’t knock your sense of humor out of whack. You have an very high level of credibility so if I close my eyes tightly, I can see the food coming off your grill and your tumbling act happening in real time. Take care of yourself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back