Show us what you're cooking...

Not ready to cook it yet but found this little gem at Costco today. It’s a nice size for two of us or a small group. The marbling in the point is pretty decent for a choice and $29 for a brisket just looked good to me. Haven’t ever done one this small so it’ll be a learning experience.View attachment 19334
That’s a nice find! I like the smaller briskets since there are just the two of us. And, they do cook just a little quicker. Enjoy it.

Well I tried something new for me, but probably commonplace for others. On a Tuesday, I had a small (tiny) slab of Berkshire ribs (only 1.7 lbs) that I got as a freebie from Snake River Farms. I often will get carried away with rubs, marinades, et al on ribs. This time I literally just did SPOG with a little smoked paprika. 2 hours bare at 225, 2.5 hours wrapped in pink paper at 225, and another hour at 225 unwrapped. I didn't do a traditional 3-2-1 as these were a small rack so I sort of treated as a St. Louis/baby back crossover.

My SPOG mix is what I use on beef so I over-seasoned (a little too salty) on these tiny ribs, but they ended up being the perfect bite that happily cooked away during my workday afternoon.

I've learned after all of these years that simple is often better. It's always been my approach for brisket, beef plate ribs, etc. Now I'm a believer with pork ribs as well.

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

Well I tried something new for me, but probably commonplace for others. On a Tuesday, I had a small (tiny) slab of Berkshire ribs (only 1.7 lbs) that I got as a freebie from Snake River Farms. I often will get carried away with rubs, marinades, et al on ribs. This time I literally just did SPOG with a little smoked paprika. 2 hours bare at 225, 2.5 hours wrapped in pink paper at 225, and another hour at 225 unwrapped. I didn't do a traditional 3-2-1 as these were a small rack so I sort of treated as a St. Louis/baby back crossover.

My SPOG mix is what I use on beef so I over-seasoned (a little too salty) on these tiny ribs, but they ended up being the perfect bite that happily cooked away during my workday afternoon.

I've learned after all of these years that simple is often better. It's always been my approach for brisket, beef plate ribs, etc. Now I'm a believer with pork ribs as well.

View attachment 19335

View attachment 19336
Now, you’re speaking my language; “simple is often best!” Let the protein do the talking! And, as for your SPOG, a bit of smoked paprika added is my secret weapon too. Those ribs look great; nicely done!

View attachment 19335

View attachment 19336
Especially with Berkshire or Duroc pork. Those heritage breeds have all the flavor you need. You could probably cook them with no seasoning and they’d turn out great! Looking at those amazing finished ribs has me itching to thaw the two racks I have in the freezer.

Yeah, I used to do all sorts of spices and marinades to New York strip and ribeye steak. Then, one day I tried dry brining with kosher salt the night before and grilling as is. I have never looked back. The beef itself is so flavorable. I cringe when my wife uses A1 sauce on hers! Good thing I love her :)!

Yeah, I used to do all sorts of spices and marinades to New York strip and ribeye steak. Then, one day I tried dry brining with kosher salt the night before and grilling as is. I have never looked back. The beef itself is so flavorable. I cringe when my wife uses A1 sauce on hers! Good thing I love her :)!
A1 is great for covering up that off taste on a leftover that you really don't want to throw away - but maybe should. :sick:

Well, here goes nothing... $418 worth of Wagyu beef to feed my guys working an event with 80K people this weekend (and retirees and beat folks that are willing to show up). I trimmed this afternoon (not my finest work) as tomorrow morning is garbage day and I really don't want the trimmings fermenting for a another week. I'll apply SPOGP at some point during the day tomorrow and start cooking tomorrow evening. I'll have to get up at some point overnight to wrap. It'll go in a cooler to rest for about 4 - 6 hours. Both briskets are about 16 pounds before trimming.

IMG_0062.jpeg

Nice! I‘ll be interested to hear what you think. I bought a Wagyu brisket for a special event in March, and frankly I couldn’t tell the difference from a nice Prime brisket from Costco.
I wish it was a better experience for you - but I (and my wallet) appreciate the feedback on that.

You know I’ve had two wagyu briskets now from Snake River Farms… 1 was about the same as a prime and the other was the best brisket I’ve ever made. I’m still on the fence, guess I’ll have to make another 🤪

You know I’ve had two wagyu briskets now from Snake River Farms… 1 was about the same as a prime and the other was the best brisket I’ve ever made. I’m still on the fence, guess I’ll have to make another 🤪
That’s the spirit!

They look great! What was your method this time around?
Thanks! What’s become pretty standard for me is 225° for around 3-4 hours until the rub (Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ) is set-gives them great flavor and color. After the first hour, I start spritzing with a 50-50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. I’ll then wrap them in foil with slabs of butter and Red Clay Hot Hot Honey OR RC Hot Peach sauce for around 30-45 minutes, then put them back on the grill basted in the juice from the wrap. Occasionally I’ll put on some Blues Hog BBQ sauce for another 10-15 minutes, but normally we don’t like the a real sweet sauce.

The times for each stage can change according to the ribs used (baby back, St. Louis, full spares) and also a feel on how far along they are. For the final product, I like a rib with a little tug to the bite and the wife likes fall off the bone. My best results are when I’m pretty close to a middle ground where we both are happy!

Well, update on my two brisket cook. Because I wanted to get some sleep, I put everything on at 2:30pm yesterday. 225 the whole way for simplicity....again I'm no longer a young man and need my rest if I'm going to be walking all day long in 90 degree heat. I wrapped at 1am as planned. The briskets were ready to pull at 4:30am despite my goal of pulling at 6:30am (in other words, woken up multiple times). Overwrapped the butcher paper with foil, wrapped in a moving blanket and tossed in an ice chest. Started slicing at 12:00pm and everything was still hot and well rested, unlike the cook.

My crew at the festival, all of the dayshift patrol guys, then the swing shift patrol guys, and a few stragglers showing up for graveyard showed up asking if anything was left. In the end, I watched a couple of guys picking off crumbs of bark/meat off of my cutting board. I guess next time it's going to be three briskets. My PD offered to pay for the meat, so I don't mind burning pellets to feed what ended up being close to 30 cops.

I expect a revolt tomorrow as we're having deli sandwiches delivered.

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6728.jpeg

Oh and I got to show off my new Wusthof brisket knife thanks to @Jim6820 's recommendation. Of course one salty Sergeant asked if I had anything bigger to slice with as he scavenged what was left on my cutting board.

Well, update on my two brisket cook. Because I wanted to get some sleep, I put everything on at 2:30pm yesterday. 225 the whole way for simplicity....again I'm no longer a young man and need my rest if I'm going to be walking all day long in 90 degree heat. I wrapped at 1am as planned. The briskets were ready to pull at 4:30am despite my goal of pulling at 6:30am (in other words, woken up multiple times). Overwrapped the butcher paper with foil, wrapped in a moving blanket and tossed in an ice chest. Started slicing at 12:00pm and everything was still hot and well rested, unlike the cook.

My crew at the festival, all of the dayshift patrol guys, then the swing shift patrol guys, and a few stragglers showing up for graveyard showed up asking if anything was left. In the end, I watched a couple of guys picking off crumbs of bark/meat off of my cutting board. I guess next time it's going to be three briskets. My PD offered to pay for the meat, so I don't mind burning pellets to feed what ended up being close to 30 cops.

View attachment 19355

View attachment 19356

View attachment 19357
That's very cool that you do that for the guys you work with. I'm sure they appreciate it!

View attachment 19355

View attachment 19356

View attachment 19357
Those are GOOOOOD looking briskets! And, look at those nice, straight slices from a good brisket knife. Hope you like your Wusthof as much as I like mine. :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigfishri
Back