Show us what you're cooking...

So, my apologies for only one picture, which isn’t the greatest, but I cooked a Wild Fork leg of lamb tonight on the RT-340. It was on a total of 2.5 hours at 225°, cooked to IT of 130° and served with fresh corn and Lima beans. This was my first ever leg of lamb, and we were very pleased with how it came out!
BAAFDB8F-A1DF-49B5-AA1C-4E977B883754.jpeg

So, my apologies for only one picture, which isn’t the greatest, but I cooked a Wild Fork leg of lamb tonight on the RT-340. It was on a total of 2.5 hours at 225°, cooked to IT of 130° and served with fresh corn and Lima beans. This was my first ever leg of lamb, and we were very pleased with how it came out!
View attachment 16761
Looks awesome. Made some lamb a few weeks ago. What an under rated piece of meat. Just like the Trailblazer.

Did a “Hybrid” rib-eye this evening. Costco had some big, thick ones the other day, two to a package, so I picked up a package.

Tonight, I rubbed a light coat of yellow mustard on one of them as a binder and seasoned it with my version of SPOG (also has smoked paprika in it). Preheated the RT-340 to a stable 225 F and put the rib-eye on.

Pulled the meat from the RT after an hour and 105 F IT, and seared it on my pre-heated (550 F) Napoleon gasser. Four minutes per side, rotated at 2 minutes, for a total of 8 minutes sear time and an internal temperature of 130 F. After a 15-minute rest, it was sliced.

The result was flavorful, with just a hint of smoke. Beautifully medium rare from edge to edge. Since there are just two of us here, one was more than sufficient.

E8E13BDA-4C63-4363-8A0D-D2920D645E3D.jpeg

A5BAC076-83AD-412B-A69B-AACC903261D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a “Hybrid” rib-eye this evening. Costco had some big, thick ones the other day, two to a package, so I picked up a package.

Tonight, I rubbed a light coat of yellow mustard on one of them as a binder and seasoned it with my version of SPOG (also has smoked paprika in it). Preheated the RT-340 to a stable 225 F and put the rib-eye on.

Pulled the meat at 105 F and seared it on my pre-heated (550 F) Napoleon gasser. Four minutes per side, rotated at 2 minutes, for a total of 8 minutes sear time. After a 15-minute rest, it was sliced.

The result was flavorful, with just a hint of smoke. Beautifully medium rare from edge to edge. Since there are just two of us here, one was more than sufficient.

View attachment 16762

View attachment 16763
I’ve seen YT videos of Tom at ATB use a Napoleon, looks like a fine grill!

I’ve seen YT videos of Tom at ATB use a Napoleon, looks like a fine grill!
What I like about the Napoleon, in addition to it being high-quality construction, is that mine is natural gas. It is connected to the house supply, so no tanks to fill. Natural gas burns a little cooler, but my grill will still hit 550-600 F for searing.

Last edited:
View attachment 16761
Interesting - I just picked up my first leg of lamb as well. Any words of wisdom before I put it to the test?

Interesting - I just picked up my first leg of lamb as well. Any words of wisdom before I put it to the test?
I flipped it every 30 minutes to ensure it cooked evenly, but I don’t know if that was necessary. I used a beef rub on it and probably would not change a thing on the next one.

Here’s how I do it.

6 cloves of garlic, minced finely
1 tbs fresh Thyme, minced finely
1 tbs fresh Rosemary, minced finely
1 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tbs olive oil

Mix well to form a paste. Add more oil, if needed.

Remove netting from lamb and unroll meat. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt and apply seasoning paste on all surfaces. Re-form lamb into roast shape and tie up with kitchen string.

Pre-heat grill to 200 degrees. Insert temperature probe(s) and place lamb on grill, fat side up. After 2 hours, raise grill temp to 250 F. Target internal temperature is 130 F. (I know USDA recommends 145 F but that’s medium well and I prefer my lamb medium rare. IT will rise 5-6 degrees during rest.) Total cook time for a 6# roast is about 4.5 hours. Rest for 30-60 minutes before carving.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Last edited:
Here’s how I do it.

6 cloves of garlic, minced finely
1 tbs fresh Thyme, minced finely
1 tbs fresh Rosemary, minced finely
1 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tbs olive oil

Mix well to form a paste. Add more oil, if needed.

Remove netting from lamb and unroll meat. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt and apply seasoning paste on all surfaces. Re-form lamb into roast shape and tie up with kitchen string.

Pre-heat grill to 200 degrees. Inserted temperature probe(s) and placed lamb on grill, fat side up. After 2 hours, raise grill temp to 250 F. Target internal temperature is 130 F. (I know USDA recommends 145 F but that’s medium well and I prefer my lamb medium rare) Total cook time for a 6# roast is about 4.5 hours. Rest for 30-60 minutes before carving.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Thanks!! Will probably do this on Sunday, so, good, bad, or ugly, I'll post results!

Greg - how smokey was it? Not sure I want a lot of smoke.

Greg - how smokey was it? Not sure I want a lot of smoke.
Not overly smoky at all. Very neutral, in a good way, taste, I didn’t even think It was that lamb forward (if that’s even a term) , even though my wife could tell it was lamb. We had leftovers for lunch today-even better than yesterday. I’d absolutely make it again.

View attachment 16761
Yummm.

Well, it’s been a day… Last night we received several inches of rain in my part of Kentucky and my RT-340 was caught without its cover and today displayed a er-3 error code when I went to use it. So, pork belly burnt ends on the Bullseye and major pit fire! The burnt ends were fine and all was good, but it was exciting for awhile!
C765AACD-3854-4424-9F60-24FBC33ED743.jpeg
31D401C2-7C39-4FBF-B905-60B05BB2C274.jpeg
AAF717E9-068B-4BB9-BBEE-1AD22C0C7120.jpeg

Well, it’s been a day… Last night we received several inches of rain in my part of Kentucky and my RT-340 was caught without its cover and today displayed a er-3 error code when I went to use it. So, pork belly burnt ends on the Bullseye and major pit fire! The burnt ends were fine and all was good, but it was exciting for awhile!
View attachment 16864View attachment 16865View attachment 16866

I guess that is how you make "burnt" ends :) .. They look great!

Hope for a quick recovery on the 340.

Did a 15 lb brisket for 13.5 hours on the 1250 this past weekend. My best one yet. So juicy and the bark was incredible. Just a salt and pepper rub. Sprayed with 60/40 water and apple sidereal vinegar every 45 min or so. Forgot to take a photo before taking it off. Bark was darker by the time I wrapped.

20220722_082510.jpg

20220722_185748.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back