Outside Temperature

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I'm cooking a Coho Salmon today. First time with fish of any kind. I dry brined it and it sat in the fridge for about 8 hours and again uncovered after being brined.

I set my 590 to Lo (180) and all was good for some time. After the first 1 1/2 hours the temperature started to rise to 225, then to 245. The fish temperature was at 170.

I expected it to take 3-4 hours (it was 2 pounds after being brined). But I decided to take it off at 2 hours instead. I don't want to overcook it.

It's hot here is Southern California today. 94 degrees and the smoker is in the sun. Does the heat outside cause the grill to increase in temperature? The fan was going on and off more often.

The salmon is really delicious and very moist. The outside looked like it should look (I think). Just not the way I thought the cook would go today.

Attachments

• Salmon 1.jpg
    Salmon 1.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 155
  • Salmon 2.jpg
    Salmon 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
I haven't had my RT long enough to say for high temp effects, though I do know down the thermostat to the low 30's has an impact on burning more than usual. It would make sense higher outdoor temps would have some impact on pit temp. Either way, that salmon sure looks good☺

it sure does, stainless steal in the sun will almost make those low temp cooks absolute. tonight, I lowered my feed rating to 10 on the grill and maintained 200 easy, i was shocked.

I started using a pop up tent just to provide shade because mine is in direct sun also. does it cure cancer? no... but it does help allot!

I can 100% confirm as well that the weather can play havoc with your temps. Either up or down. I've had this happen several times during long cooks. I acount for it now and I either move the smoker into some shade or just know that itll speed up cook time a bit....

I can 100% confirm as well that the weather can play havoc with your temps. Either up or down. I've had this happen several times during long cooks. I acount for it now and I either move the smoker into some shade or just know that itll speed up cook time a bit....
Especially in SC!

This doesn't seem right, the grill shouldn't over shoot by 65 degrees. Per Rec Tec, it's supposed to stay within 5 degrees. I would think the PID would control it tighter, probably run the fan more to keep temps down etc. If you haven't done so already, I would try to calibrate the temperature offset and then see how it holds temps. If it keeps climbing well above your set point, then you may need to call Rec Tec.

The grill wont shoot above set temps in a "perfect" environment... now these smokers do a fantastic job of maintaining temp. But mother nature is always going to play a factor. No manufacturer is going to guarantee that their cooker will maintain 250 degrees on a 110 degree day and 30 mph winds. Cant happen. Or on the other side of the spectrum 10 degrees temps and 20 mph...

If they do then I missed it somewhere in the manual. Testing is all done in a controlled environment...

I'm cooking a Coho Salmon today. First time with fish of any kind. I dry brined it and it sat in the fridge for about 8 hours and again uncovered after being brined.

I set my 590 to Lo (180) and all was good for some time. After the first 1 1/2 hours the temperature started to rise to 225, then to 245. The fish temperature was at 170.

I expected it to take 3-4 hours (it was 2 pounds after being brined). But I decided to take it off at 2 hours instead. I don't want to overcook it.

It's hot here is Southern California today. 94 degrees and the smoker is in the sun. Does the heat outside cause the grill to increase in temperature? The fan was going on and off more often.

The salmon is really delicious and very moist. The outside looked like it should look (I think). Just not the way I thought the cook would go today.
Give Rec Tec a call. Mine was doing the same and they helped me adjust the min. feed rate.

Thanks! My feed rate is at 3 (the lowest). I've discovered since that issue, on very hot days moving the grill into the shade does the trick.. It keeps the temps way more stable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back