Fire outside of burn pot

K.Wright

Grill(s) owned
  1. Beast
Just purchased the Backyard beast and first time pellet grill owner.. During first burn in, after only 5 to 7 mins after start up. Noticed excessive smoke and fire burning outside of the fire pot. Flames were coming up about 4" high on either side of the drip pan. I don't think this is normal and think all fire and pellets should be contained inside of fire pot. Shut the grill down and put the fire out. Pellets were spilled out in the bottom of the grill. Any insight on the situation would be helpful.

20231223_181509.jpg

I agree. If it were me I’d vacuum out the grill, run the auger in test mode till I saw good pellets, leave it open with everything removed, and try starting it normally taking pictures of the process. When lighting, I try to have just enough pellets in the fire box to get a few right in front of the igniter. Keep in mind this is just what I’d do, you may not be comfortable doing such, which is understandable.

or you could call RT and see what they suggest as it’s brand new.

Thanks for the response. I'm right by no pellets should be outside of the burn pot? Right?

Thanks for the response. I'm right by no pellets should be outside of the burn pot? Right?
Excellent advice above. That is exactly how I would handle it. Definitely be sure to put only a small amount of pellets in the firepot at start up.

You are correct. Everything except some ash should stay in the fire pot.

Thanks for all the responses...cleaned the burn pot out and it's running fine now. Thanks for the help

From "my experiences" I now NEVER start up the grill beyond 230 degrees. What happens is that the controller keeps on feeding pellets into the hopper, for anticipating a quick ignition and to hit a higher target temp quickly........that just doesn't happen very well. Start up at 230/240, once hits that temp.......kick up the target temp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back