Ordered brisket at a BBQ restaurant and this is what they served

WTF is that?? Maybe used rabbit or beaver? Hate to know what it was marinated in or what method was used. Hard to tell.. Maybe give back to the bunny ranch?

download.jpg

WTF is that?? Maybe used rabbit or beaver? Hate to know what it was marinated in or what method was used. Hard to tell.. Maybe give back to the bunny ranch?
It's a BBQ restaurant (Lexington BBQ - pulled pork) so they definitely smoke meats. They have a mountain of wood in the back for smoking.
They advertised brisket as a special. Normally I don't order brisket from NC BBQ places, but it's never been THAT bad.

If you can't make it work with the employees you can get, you need to go out of business in favor of those who can.

While I hate getting something unexpectedly bad for my money, in these particularly unusual times, I am more sympathetic restaurant owners trying to hang onto their livelihood to eek out a living. We really don't need more people on the dole. Ultimately, the market will determine product demand.

While I hate getting something unexpectedly bad for my money, in these particularly unusual times, I am more sympathetic restaurant owners trying to hang onto their livelihood to eek out a living. We really don't need more people on the dole. Ultimately, the market will determine product demand.
You're being very generous.
Teaching the person cutting the meat is a basic part of the job. At least two people would have seen this monstrosity (person cutting and server).
When I reported to the cashier that the meat was sliced with the grain (I didn't even mention the quality or the fact that it did not appear to have been actually smoked), she either didn't know what I was talking about or didn't care.
I sent the restaurant a message on Facebook when I got home, and could see where they read it, but they didn't respond. I sent a followup, the read and ignored that as well.
So no, I stand by what I said. They should go out of business. That's at least four people (assuming the person on social media isn't the server, cashier, or person cutting the meat) who are incompetent at even the most basic part of their job.

That's just the slicing. That doesn't even consider the preparation of the meat itself. I have a hard time believing this saw any smoke. That's on the owner, not some rogue employee they just hired to cut the meat.

It's a BBQ restaurant (Lexington BBQ - pulled pork) so they definitely smoke meats. They have a mountain of wood in the back for smoking.
They advertised brisket as a special. Normally I don't order brisket from NC BBQ places, but it's never been THAT bad.

Crazy.. you would think they know what a brisket looks like at a place like that. I would not have questioned myself if I saw they were actually smoking meats with a wood pile in the back.

To find this served would have been a shock. This is roadside diner quality at best by the looks of it and I'm still not sure what to call it. That is being generous :). This makes me feel anyone can be in the restaurant business today.

Crazy.. you would think they know what a brisket looks like at a place like that. I would not have questioned myself if I saw they were actually smoking meats with a wood pile in the back.

To find this served would have been a shock. This is roadside diner quality at best by the looks of it and I'm still not sure what to call it. That is being generous :). This makes me feel anyone can be in the restaurant business today.
Yeah even though it's NC I'd have expected something edible.
Here's a bunch of wood out back next to their smoker. You can't tell from this photo because it's too dark, but this building behind the restaurant is completely full of wood.

I stopped there during one of our trips through the area due to the great reviews. We got the pulled pork which was fine but not outstanding. I think this is one of the places that lives off a reputation from years gone by. If I remember right their hush puppies were outstanding.

Last edited:
I stopped there during one of our trips through the area due to the great reviews. We got the pulled pork which was fine but not outstanding. I think this is one of the places that lives off a reputation from years gone by. If I remember right their hush puppies were outstanding.
Yep, that’s what I figure. I think that’s the case with a lot of the Lexington BBQ joints.

It would be nice if reviews in general would be reset to zero periodically. We have a more or less local lobster roll restaurant that used to have outstanding food. That was a couple owners ago, now it's just overpriced fast food that one waits in line for.

It would be nice if reviews in general would be reset to zero periodically. We have a more or less local lobster roll restaurant that used to have outstanding food. That was a couple owners ago, now it's just overpriced fast food that one waits in line for.
Also I think a lot of people don't know any better. At a lot of good BBQ places, the sides are as good as the meat. In Lexington, everywhere I've been seems to have sides that are just canned/pre-prepared with some pepper added.

I left a Facebook review, and some dude replied with "Well if that's the worst your day has been, you've been blessed. I've been eating there 30 years without complaint."

The person at the restaurant didn't care when I told her, and when I messaged the restaurant after getting back to my hotel, I got no response (even though Facebook shows me they read the message). That just shows you they're satisfied with mailing it in and living off their name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back