RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

Sounds like you ended up making lemonade from a couple of lemons. :rolleyes: As I said before, all that really matters is whether you are happy with the final result. Sounds like that may be the case. Hope so.

Sounds like you ended up making lemonade from a couple of lemons. :rolleyes: As I said before, all that really matters is whether you are happy with the final result. Sounds like that may be the case. Hope so.
Yeah it should be fine I was able to clean it up the best I could. And the cart should give me good value either I’ll use it or sell it. Although I Kinda liked the idea of making a table out of the stock legs. I did the burn in today and hopefully I will be able to grill on it the next couple of days before I go away on vacation.

Does anyone have a photo of their lavalock seal on there 1250? Just wanted to see where you put it with the lid sweep.
I have a 700 and I don't have pics, so I can't help you there.

I would recommend however, that you use acetone to clean the grill surfaces before applying the Lavalock tape. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to do two or three complete passes with acetone and paper towels.

Some manufacturers recommend using alcohol. Alcohol doesn't cut grease anywhere near as well as acetone. Carb or brake cleaner works well too, but I'd burn it off with some heat before applying the tape/grilling anything.

I have a 700 and I don't have pics, so I can't help you there.

I would recommend however, that you use acetone to clean the grill surfaces before applying the Lavalock tape. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to do two or three complete passes with acetone and paper towels.

Some manufacturers recommend using alcohol. Alcohol doesn't cut grease anywhere near as well as acetone. Carb or brake cleaner works well too, but I'd burn it off with some heat before applying the tape/grilling anything.
So all I have done is the burn in thus far haven’t cooked on it. Should I still clean with acetone?

So all I have done is the burn in thus far haven’t cooked on it. Should I still clean with acetone?
I would, it won't hurt anything. Besides, there could be some residual factory oil on the metal parts that you can't see. Cleaning is quick, easy and could potentially spare you from having (Lavalock) adhesion problems.

I like "belts and suspenders", particularly when they're quick and easy.

Rather than acetone, I would suggest using denatured alcohol or 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It is a good cleaner and doesn’t risk dissolving paint and other finishes. I have used the 99% isopropyl alcohol with great success and it is a lot easier to find than denatured alcohol.

Does anyone have a photo of their lavalock seal on there 1250? Just wanted to see where you put it with the lid sweep.

20210221_104744.jpg

Hey so I was doing my first cool today. Had chick hotdogs and burgers on it. I was smoking at 225 for an hour and about 50 mins in the grill got to 260 and all of a sudden it sounded like it stopped and the. I heard a click and then it went on again and the off. Is that cause it was higher than the set point?

Yep, trying to cool down to your set temp. The fan turns off and on rather than running all the time so the fire settles down a little. If you have a hard time maintaining low temps you can lower your minimum feed rate and that should help.

It takes a few cooks for the controller to dial in. Like water boy said. You can lower the minimum feed rate.

thanks guys. So when I did my first cool today I did burger chicken and hotdogs. So the plan was to smoked for about an hour and then take burgers off and get a seat on grill grates. So didn’t get much of a seat but I pulled burgers off from smoke when Internal was 130 so I think I wanted to long. When do you normally pull or crank temp up to sear when doing chicken breast and burgers?

I have used a borrowed MEATER and it worked well. And, I just ordered a similar Combustion Inc predictive thermometer. It looks to be even better.

That said, for most cooks, I will continue to use my ThermoWorks 4-probe Signals unit. It has been a stellar performer in all respects. I highly recommend it as a must-have in any cooking kit.
Dumb but honest question here...why or how do you use the Thermoworks Signal when there are probes included with the recteq?

Dumb but honest question here...why or how do you use the Thermoworks Signal when there are probes included with the recteq?
No dumb questions, just unanswed ones.

Why? Because I have never been able to get the RT to reliably connect to Wi-Fi so that I can monitor temps remotely. The Signals connects every time and stays connected,

How? The same as with the RT probes; thread them through the side port. The Signals unit sits on the hopper lid. The Signals comes with one ambient temp probe and clip to hold it above the grill, and 3 meat probes.

I have checked my Signals probes with both ice-bath and boiling water (altitude corrected) and they are spot on. The RT probes are not too far off, but I can’t monitor them remotely.

No dumb questions, just unanswed ones.

Why? Because I have never been able to get the RT to reliably connect to Wi-Fi so that I can monitor temps remotely. The Signals connects every time and stays connected,

How? The same as with the RT probes; thread them through the side port. The Signals unit sits on the hopper lid. The Signals comes with one ambient temp probe and clip to hold it above the grill, and 3 meat probes.

I have checked my Signals probes with both ice-bath and boiling water (altitude corrected) and they are spot on. The RT probes are not too far off, but I can’t monitor them remotely.
Totally concur........

My "Signals" has been rock solid. Would I buy it again ? Yes. Could I live without it ? Yeah, but I'd be crabby.

My Meater has been good. I really love the predictive "Cook time remaining" feature, for planning and convenience. What I don't like about it (I bought the single probe version) is there is no USB charging capability for the base and probe combo. And, no WiFi. Don't get the base too far away from the probe (30 or 40 feet (?)) or you'll lose connection between them.
Would I buy the Meater again ? Maybe. But knowing what I know now and if I had the "Signals" unit first, I probably would not buy another Meater. However, if Meater were to put USB charging and WiFi in a single probe version, I might be swayed to buy one. That would be independent of whether or not I had a "Signals" unit. Can I live without the Meater ? Yeah, wouldn't be too unhappy about it.

Could I live without it ? Yeah, but I'd be crabby.
Me too! I spent a half century cooking without wifi-connected thermometers, so I think I could still do it but it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun. “Crabby” pretty well describes how I would react! ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back