New recteq app is out

If anyone wants to know why their software is so bad, go to the play store and look at the updated app images. You will see its screenshots and the screenshots are of someone literally in mainland China. (Attached it here, look at cell service in upper corner). I understand manufacturing in China, but there is no reason to cheap out so hard that you do the software development there too.

LOL
That's not a new image - been part of the listing for a while. And while it's fashionable (for some) to bash on China/Chinese that's not a sole indicator of quality.

The bigger point is that RT outsources the app, so they have less control than if it were in-house. I've hinted before about this. We also don't know what that means for the servers, etc which is part of the notifications issue.

Here
Here’s my temp. chart with the new app from last night and this morning butt cook
Is this Apple or Android ?

I have the Android (Beta)1.7.1 version and there was zero changes other than supporting the new 1250.
I was kinda hoping it'd look like yours.
Update:...NM I reread all the posts. I see the big changes are only in iOS at the moment. Bummer.

Last edited:
Can confirm, received 1.7.0 the other day and then about 24-hrs or so later received 1.7.1 as well. No visible changes so must be a hotfix for bug(s). Android device.

Still waiting for v2.0 that the iPhone users got. In my experience this is the reverse generally with how the two entities approve/publish updates from devs.

Nothing of real importance with this post, just adding data points with this thread.
I'm version 1.7.1. I have an Android. And like @Ostrichsak I don't see any change. It's the same looking app I've always used. Visually it's the same.

That's not a new image - been part of the listing for a while. And while it's fashionable (for some) to bash on China/Chinese that's not a sole indicator of quality.

The bigger point is that RT outsources the app, so they have less control than if it were in-house. I've hinted before about this. We also don't know what that means for the servers, etc which is part of the notifications issue.
With enough money invested, top quality things can be built and programmed literally anywhere on earth. Most people acknowledge this I think.....

Generally though, even things built in China for the usa market are programmed and designed in the USA. I think there is a good reason for that. I have a little bit of first hand experience in this, but admittedly not a ton.

It makes sense to save money and build in China since the savings are big in every unit built. But for a decent sized company it makes alot less sense to save money by offshoring programming since the SAME app is used by all customers and the savings is amortisized between all customers and starts vanishing.

Obviously this is all just "talk" and I am making a ton of assumptions here as we wove a story from a screenshot and not exactly insider information.

Last edited:
I really don't mind the app, it's always worked pretty well from me, BUT.....There are some much better apps out there that are compatible with a few grills. I was hoping RT was one of them, but this app is the only game in town for our grills to my knowledge.

I really don't mind the app, it's always worked pretty well from me, BUT.....There are some much better apps out there that are compatible with a few grills. I was hoping RT was one of them, but this app is the only game in town for our grills to my knowledge.
I figured these types of apps would all be proprietary to the brand of device. Do you have an example of one that isn't?

Not a fan of the Temperature history. Not sure why I’d want to see 24 hours in the past when I start up. The numbers aren’t even correct I have it set at 500° for some pizzas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
75A4207F-0213-454E-86E6-09C63073993A.jpg

Not a fan of the Temperature history. Not sure why I’d want to see 24 hours in the past when I start up. The numbers aren’t even correct I have it set at 500° for some pizzas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ View attachment 11989
There's been numerous occasions when I don't remember what I did. This may come in handy 😁

I can't change the minimum auger rate with the app; works ok thru the controller. When on the app it's at 3.0, you can toggle up and down, I don't know if it's changing on the grill, but when you close the app and reopen it's still on 3.0. Don't know if this happened before or after update. Anyone else have this problem?

I guess it makes more sense when you zoom in

I’d have made it start left to right with the current cook, and zoom to the extents automatically.

Anyway, it works.

93A4EB99-25D6-4784-82AA-602CF3F3A897.jpg

I find that if I go to the temp chart then go back to the main screen, the temps will update. I'm still running 1.7.0.

The temp history display is a joke. You can’t adjust so you can look at the graph by changing the increments. It includes x and y graph points outside and proceding your current cook. It’s a big “why bother”

The temp history display is a joke. You can’t adjust so you can look at the graph by changing the increments. It includes x and y graph points outside and proceding your current cook. It’s a big “why bother”
Not even after you’ve zoomed in?

It’s not the best UI, but you can zoom in. Check out my pics up a few comments. 👆🏼

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back