New recteq app is out

I may be wrong but I don’t believe the previous version allowed data exports either. I would argue they should have added it, but I don’t think it it disappeared.

I used the new release (v2.0.2 Build 731) and it finally tracks cooks longer than 8 hours consistently. (The previous version would time out and generate an error for my longer cooks, even if I changed the polling times.) Another “feature” I like is tracking my connection from the time I plug the RT700 in until it is unplugged. My only concern is that I can’t export my data profiles any longer. Everything seems steady but it’s a pain in the butt to capture my data one screen shot/section at a time or to ’shrink’ the cook to a single screen that doesn’t give me adequate resolution to see the details. Maybe I‘m spoiled but even my inbird iBBQ-4T allows export of an entire cook into a .csv file for use in Excel or Numbers with no problem. If anyone has figured out where they hid the export button, please share you knowledge. Here are a couple of screen shots from a ~13 hour brisket cook from yesterday.
View attachment 12180

View attachment 12181
Honest question, what do you do with all that data?

I wish we could export. That would allow folks to really tweak future cooks based on past data (what temps worked, how long it took to get to temp, etc.)

I may be wrong but I don’t believe the previous version allowed data exports either. I would argue they should have added it, but I don’t think it it disappeared.
I never saw one.

I wish we could export. That would allow folks to really tweak future cooks based on past data (what temps worked, how long it took to get to temp, etc.)
Right on. I usually just try to remember and then my wife gets mad when the brisket’s not done til 10pm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great question KRedman;

I use that data (in an exported form) to track issues with the cook. I also compare the information based on the pellets I may be using so I can tell which hold temperature and based on their burn rate, which ones are more efficient and predictable. I also trade/share data with other wannabe smoker friends so we can compare and trade best practices and fine tune speeds and feeds for “on the road” cooks. Another use is when you are using a cold box for smoked cheeses, mushrooms, general drying of fresh fruits, and other items with a low melting point or even making Wagyu beef jerky. It is easier to correlate the grill’s set point against your smoker box for batch to batch consistency (although proteins tend to be unique for each cook due to their variable fat content. Again, great question and hopefully others will weigh in on their use of the data.

Great question KRedman;

I use that data (in an exported form) to track issues with the cook. I also compare the information based on the pellets I may be using so I can tell which hold temperature and based on their burn rate, which ones are more efficient and predictable. I also trade/share data with other wannabe smoker friends so we can compare and trade best practices and fine tune speeds and feeds for “on the road” cooks. Another use is when you are using a cold box for smoked cheeses, mushrooms, general drying of fresh fruits, and other items with a low melting point or even making Wagyu beef jerky. It is easier to correlate the grill’s set point against your smoker box for batch to batch consistency (although proteins tend to be unique for each cook due to their variable fat content. Again, great question and hopefully others will weigh in on their use of the data.
Nah, I think you nailed it. 👍😎

Great question KRedman;

Right on. I used to do this when I made beer, but I'm definitely more relaxed on the grill. Those are definitely good reasons to hang on to that data. I'd be interested to see some of your spreadsheets or notes!

Right on. I used to do this when I made beer, but I'm definitely more relaxed on the grill. Those are definitely good reasons to hang on to that data. I'd be interested to see some of your spreadsheets or notes!
Ahh, I remember my “want to be a brewmaster days” period well. I could never make the numbers work unlike grilling where the cost to benefit ratio is better, especially if you are looking at a home based hosted event for 12-20 people vs. restaurant reservations, hehe. Here is the data from the last cook. As I was saying, I don’t have the ability to export the RecTec info any longer (see below for the overnight cook of brisket that started at midnight on Saturday for an evening event at 5:00pm that day. The second attachment is the way I monitor grill temperatures with an inkbird iBBT4 and that data is exported in .csv format. (Note: This site wouldn’t let me attach the actual file but you can see by the screen shot that the data is much more robust.) Another item I am still trying to reconcile is the temperature differentials. The spreadsheet shows a temperature higher than the actual setting as reported by the RT probe and I haven’t calibrated them as they are actually monitoring different areas of the grill. I have noticed that the RT probe location is at the cooler end of my RT700 (Bull) versus the actual temps on the iBBT’s probes that are hovering above the drip tray/pan. I also used historical data to prove that a warped heat shield can/does impact the smoker’s heat dispersion and influence my cooks. When the shield is flat and conforming, side to side temps for my Bull are within 5 degrees, typically and don’t require the rotation of my proteins for a consistent cook. With the deflector warped, I am seeing ~15 degrees difference side to side but the PID is rock solid leading me to deduce the PID is functioning properly (which is supported by the iBBT’s data also). Fortunately, the good folks at RecTeq were able to replace my heat shield but the replacement shield is already warping after only 3 cooks of approximately 45 total hours (I love the long cooks). Oh well, first world problems.

1629122284482.png

1629122320031.png

I wonder if the steel plate mod is needed for the deflector too.
Only if it warps enough to hit the drip tray. Then just get another one from warranty and mod it. I wouldn't unless it causes a problem to begin with.

Interestingly, I am working on a mod concept myself that is assembly focused for stress relief and does not involve welding or trying to custom fit 1/4” steel over the existing unit. I like the thought. My replacement is already getting bad and I can tell the convection effect of the Bull is being affected. The good news is that the RecTeq support is above average and their professionalism and customer satisfaction is best in class. I am sure they will replace it, again. My fear is that I will get on their nerves with my requests.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back