Recteq App Failure

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
The past two thanksgivings, I had issues with the Recteq app. Last year, the app failed to give me correct temp probe readings. This year, the app’s temp probe alerts would not work. Very frustrating when you’re trying to cook for a large gathering.

I emailed customer support and was told this is a normal occurrence during heavy app traffic. They offered no apology and no promise of a future resolution. In other words, they are saying: Don’t rely on our substandard app during busy holidays, just deal with it.

Very disappointing.

Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

Invest in an independent system, not getting any better and likely never will.

What @BigDan said! 👆

The problem isn’t actually with the app per se; it is with the RT servers that it is required to work through. The servers are simply inadequate to handle the traffic at busy times. At 2am on a Wednesday, you would have no problem.

I’m no computer expert, but if ThermoWorks can make its app work flawlessly at all times, Recteq could too…if it wanted to commit the resources. Obviously, it doesn’t.

What @BigDan said! 👆

The problem isn’t actually with the app per se; it is with the RT servers that it is required to work through. The servers are simply inadequate to handle the traffic at busy times. At 2am on a Wednesday, you would have no problem.

I’m no computer expert, but if ThermoWorks can make its app work flawlessly at all times, Recteq could too…if it wanted to commit the resources. Obviously, it doesn’t.
@Jim6820 is correct. They could go AWS but won’t.

Any recommendations? I have an Inkbird with Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth signal doesn’t reach very far.
How far away do you need to be? Mine theoretically has 300’ range. Never gone beyond that. I’ve got a Smoke (non X).

I’m really liking mine. Much nicer than my original MEATER +. I used them side-by-side in the Yoder Thursday and the original MEATER lost the signal, the v2 performed perfectly.
@Greg Jones, have your tried them side-by-side with the CPTs? If so, what was your take? With what you know now, if you were in the market to buy a wireless probe unit, what would you choose? Asking for a friend. :rolleyes:

@Greg Jones, have your tried them side-by-side with the CPTs? If so, what was your take? With what you know now, if you were in the market to buy a wireless probe unit, what would you choose? Asking for a friend. :rolleyes:
I’m still playing with this, and I don’t know what I have decided on yet. However, I just tested both the MEATER 2 and the CPT side-by-side in a meat loaf tonight (in my Joule oven, inside) and they both closely mirrored the temps and predicative time of the other. My biggest frustration with the CPT thus far is that the battery is so unpredictable. I think perhaps they made a mistake with putting a minuscule battery in both the probe and the range extender. The AAA battery in the MEATER base, on both the original and the MEATER 2, is a total non-issue.

have your tried them side-by-side with the CPTs?
At the risk of showing my ignorance, what are "CPTs"? (I am familiar with the Meater, Inkbird, and Smoke, but I have not heard the acronym 'CPT'.) Thank you.

Somewhat related; I too had a failure over the weekend but it turned out the be the cheap probes that comes with the RT. I need to find something better to replace them with.
David

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back