Network Extender

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
After reading where another user cleared up his issue with a disconnected device by installing a wifi extender I'd like to look into the same, think is the the tech has passed me by. I see folks talking about a "mesh" network, which I don't think I have, at least I don't see it mentioned when I look up my unit Cable Modem/Router

Would anyone feel like helping me figure out what I need?

My router is central to the house, as the crow flies it's about 70' from the grill, through several walls.

As far as I know my 340 is just 2.4Ghz.

A mesh network uses multiple satellites to create a WiFi web or mesh throughout your house. They typically have a separate radio to connect the satellites without stealing bandwidth of your device network. They're great and they are expensive. I tried (and wasted a lot of money) on several different mesh networks until settling on the Netgear Orbi product line. I have one central WiFi router and three satellites scattered around the house mainly so my smart TV's can each latch on to a different satellite so streaming video is clean on multiple TV's at the same time.

The other less expensive option is a WiFi extender. There are a lot of different flavors of these. I used a Netgear Nighthawk extender with very good results in a friend's house.

Yes, most Recteq grills just use the 2.4 Ghz frequency for WiFi. Oddly enough my 1250 is dual band, but it regularly latches onto 2.4 rather than 5, but it always connects so I don't care.

@padlin00 a wifi extender comes with it's own downsides and while it would probably work just fine for grill use, it isn't something I'd use myself.

I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti products and a number of their products not only in my own house but also in my deployments for other businesses. Ubiquiti also offers a mesh setup that you would probably really benefit from called their Amplifi WiFi.

Another possible solution is to upgrade the wifi antenna on your RecTeq grill using the method I show in the How to increase the WiFi range on your Rec Tec Grill thread.

I use the Unifi as well with the Dream Machine but it can get very costly and can be somewhat overkill for someone that is not very technical. Their support is top notch so don't let that concern you if you decide to expand your network.

Their products are prosumer.. meaning they work well in both a professional environment and consumer.

Try the antenna and see how it goes. Good luck!

Here is what the dashboard can show with Unifu.. They have units that are rated for outdoor which is what started it all for me. I put 1 outdoor about 4 years ago and it just hums away. I never have to touch it. Pretty amazing hardware. All my AP's are hardwired so it does not consume wireless BW to connect the mesh network.

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 6.36.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 6.38.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 6.38.28 PM.png

I second the Orbi. Greatly improved my WiFi throughout the house. Great investment
Me three. And, for anyone looking to install a new Wi-Fi sytem, Orbi with a Nighthawk Modem works great. I've been real happy with them. As stated, not cheap. But, when the only dropouts are exclusively due to your ISP, that's pretty good.

We have 9/10ths of an acre and I carry my iPhone with Sony blutooth noise canceling headphones. With cellular service turned off on the phone, I can listen to Youtube music via Wi-Fi at all but the farthest reaches of our lot While on the riding lawnmower.

Oh, and my new Bull connected right up to my Orbi system. So, much joy all the way around.

Do these mesh setups replace or add to the existing wifi network?

Depends on the system and ultimately how you configure it.

The Unifi AP (access point) can be added to any system as a standalone. I used my outdoor AP to an existing system (hardwired to outside) for a few years and named the wifi network the same. At that point the systems don't "mesh" since they are technically not the same network but since the wifi is, the device you use can switch over to it if the signal is better.

You can have multiple wifi setups with the Unifi.. meaning it is not set to just one name and you can separate the 5 & 2.4 even. So you could setup a wifi 2.4ghz just for the gill for example and it only connects to that.

You can expand the unifi if you add more AP's to an existing system. I ultimately wanted the security and full control of my Unifi setup which is where the Dream Machine comes in. That alone is like a stand alone router with a wifi AP built in and essentially replaces an existing system. I don't recall the limits of AP's you can add but they are designed for professional applications so likely a home owner would never come close to what you can do.

They will work hardwired or wireless backhaul so you don't have to have network cable in between.

The others like the Orbi (which is what I had before the Unifi and replaced due to stability issues I had) are essentially replacements to an existing system with a router & wifi built in like the Unifi Dream Machine and you can add what they call "satellites" or other AP's in a similar fashion like the Unifi from there. I don't recall the limit but I had a similar arrangement as my Unifi with like 6 nodes some with Alexa built in (speaker) which was a nice feature.

Hope this helps.. really just scratching the surface.

Thanks, appreciate the write up.

I really only need something for the grill, everything else works fine so I'll try the $10 antenna 1st and look deeper into the wifi if need be.

I’ve got Netgear Orbi’s and they are nice. Total game changer for whole home wifi and pretty user friendly with setup via their app. Look at secondary markets like OfferUp, Facebook marketplace for these. I routinely see pretty high end Orbi’s on there for a fraction of what there are new.

I bought a

TP-Link N300 WiFi Extender(TL-WA855RE)-WiFi Range Extender, up to 300Mbps speed, Wireless Signal Booster and Access Point, Single Band 2.4Ghz Only​

from Amazon for less than the current price(now $28) and solved my communications problems.

FWIW...
I replaced the antenna on my 340 with THIS ONE 6 or so weeks ago. Nothing definitive but I've used it 4 or so times since with good results. Went from needing to restart the phone (S10) app every time I wanted to check the temp, to maybe once in a 4 or 5 hour cook. Didn't have to restart it at all for today's cook.

Had to pull the control board to hookup the new antenna. It just pushes onto the connector, but it's so small I couldn't see it till I pulled the board. A pretty easy install.

I couldn't just unscrew the old antenna and screw this one on as it is the wrong gender. If you could find the right gender it's be a real easy install.

Worth a try for $10.

I replaced the antenna on my 340 with THIS ONE 6 or so weeks ago.
I’ve used that one on my RT-700 for 3 years now and it works great. My grill is old enough that it did not come with the external mount antenna and the internal antennas were really poor at getting a signal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back