Stampede Network error

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi All. I need some help with some help error messages that I got yesterday.
  1. My temp chart kept losing data & times..I started my cook @ 6.50am tempo chart worked till 9:45 some how it lost the starting time,@6:50am?

2. When it didn't want to load the data I got this error message I need to "change the time frequency"? I did change the frequency and kept getting the error message?

3. Later in day I was getting this error message "network error"?
What is going on with the RecTeq app lately. any one else have these problems with the App.?
Thanks Dan
PS The 590 cooked great even with ALL these problems.(y)

I had the same problem today Dan . I assume it's just a small glitch in the app. See what happens next cook. I never have problems with the app.

I get errors from time to time. Nothing alarming in my opinion. I figure it's either a transient glitch with the app or with communication to the server. Unless you unplugged the internet...

Hi Al It would be nice to have a whole cook on the tempo chart!! It seems to happen with every cook? It is a good thing I have a Fireboard 2 as a back up for the Rec Teq app.which is useless at times.(n)

I also had a minor problem with the App. when I tried to start the smoker with App. inside my house, I kept swiping to the right nothing happen. I had to go out side and start on the smoker? I was able to set & change temps with App.once the smoker started.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I also have/had this issue. RT recommends changing the value for recording the data to 10 or 15 minutes. Once done, my data mysteriously reappears. They are aware of this problem and they are supposed to be releasing an update to fix it. I got to the point that I couldn‘t trust it and purchased an Inkbird that records accurately, has 4 probes/channels, and allows me to export my data. For what we pay, I hope they fix it. Nothing like having a 14 hour cook and no evidence to confirm the cooking profile.

I don't understand the need or use for the graphing the app does. I've looked at it a few times but don't see the point. What do you use it for?
I totally agree, i love the fact that i can turn the grill on with the app but thats alI I ever use it for. I do not use the the temp probes either. I have a thermoworks and use the thermopen on chicken and turkey. With beef or pork i use just probe for tenderness. I use my 700 2 to 3 times a week for the past 9 months and have never had an issue with the app or connecting to the grill and its about 30 ft from my house in a built in kitchen

I only use it as a reference for how long the cook goes. If it was not there, I would not miss it, but do look at it on overnight cooks to hopefully confirm there were no temperature spikes.

That is why I want to see work good so I can see the start time and how long the cook is going. I guess I'm spoiled by my FireBoard?
Dan

I also have/had this issue. RT recommends changing the value for recording the data to 10 or 15 minutes. Once done, my data mysteriously reappears. They are aware of this problem and they are supposed to be releasing an update to fix it. I got to the point that I couldn‘t trust it and purchased an Inkbird that records accurately, has 4 probes/channels, and allows me to export my data. For what we pay, I hope they fix it. Nothing like having a 14 hour cook and no evidence to confirm the cooking profile.
I've been getting the "request frequency limit error" on every long cook, like for brisket. It's usually followed by a resetting of the original start time and losing the information prior to that. On my last cook, it didn't reset the start time, but instead received the message "No chart data available". Eventually, it picked back up and started recording again, but all data prior to that was lost. I finally messaged RecTeq about it and was directed to their "app guy". He said the app runs out of allotted data space and resets. He said to reset the frequency of data capture to 10 or 15 minutes on long cooks in order to not run out. The default frequency is 30 seconds which is fine for short cooks, but will run out of space on longer cooks. I also asked about dumping the data to a file which could be retrieved later. He said their wasn't any way to do that, only taking a screen capture. I'm getting a 4 channel Inkbird as well in order to not lose the data and be able to export it.

Just an FYI. As a suggestion, you may want to check with the forum Gurus on their preferred temp probes. I have somewhat limited exposure (Inkbird, RT, Taylor, and a few more). They may have others they suggest with better feature sets. I’m somewhat thrifty on the peripherals and found the Inkbird on sale at $50 off fit my needs well. I’d rather invest in turning my six pack into a keg with beef and beer, so spending the surplus money on food is my priority, especially since I’m and old stick burner at heart.

I only use it as a reference for how long the cook goes. If it was not there, I would not miss it, but do look at it on overnight cooks to hopefully confirm there were no temperature spikes.
I've been getting the "request frequency limit error" on every long cook, like for brisket. It's usually followed by a resetting of the original start time and losing the information prior to that. On my last cook, it didn't reset the start time, but instead received the message "No chart data available". Eventually, it picked back up and started recording again, but all data prior to that was lost. I finally messaged RecTeq about it and was directed to their "app guy". He said the app runs out of allotted data space and resets. He said to reset the frequency of data capture to 10 or 15 minutes on long cooks in order to not run out. The default frequency is 30 seconds which is fine for short cooks, but will run out of space on longer cooks. I also asked about dumping the data to a file which could be retrieved later. He said their wasn't any way to do that, only taking a screen capture. I'm getting a 4 channel Inkbird as well in order to not lose the data and be able to export it.
Hi That is why I use Fireboard for times & temps. The Rec Teq app keeps losing my chart
data also. I think that App. is big waste..Good thing I have a Fireboard .
Dan

I haven’t used my smoker for a week or so but the app always works well for me. Even stated my Stampede from 7 miles away once.

Change the channel your 2.4 is on. You may be getting feedback and interference from other devices in your area.

It's clearly an application bug. Too many data points to send to the app. It's been happening on every long cook - you know - the thing it's best at... Been doing it for years ..

It's clearly an application bug. Too many data points to send to the app. It's been happening on every long cook - you know - the thing it's best at... Been doing it for years ..
Welcome to the forum...
Curious why you think the issue is "clearly an application bug"?

I recently purchased a Fireboard 2 Drive which is arguably considered the gold standard in temp monitoring. Out of curiosity, I used it to monitor my 590 temps on a dry run and have come to the conclusion RT controller and temp reporting is not nearly as good as advertised. I'm not dissing RT but, on warm up to 180 degrees it lagged 25 degrees behind the Fireboard in temp reporting. At 185 degrees on Fireboard, RT reporting 210 before it all settled down. I ran it for 4 hours and observed temp fluctuations of up to 17 degrees on the Fireboard. All while RT is reporting 225 with a new pit probe and the Fireboard probe mounted adjacent to the RT probe. I know nothing about the world of temperature controllers and reporting, but 17 degrees is nearly 10% reporting variance. Significant or not? All that to say the RT system and app graph are not accurately reporting what is actually going inside the grill.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back